For our resident 348 lovers | FerrariChat

For our resident 348 lovers

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by DefunctNeurons, Nov 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Hoovie’s Garage on YouTube recently posted a vlog on his new 348 purchase, a former Atlanta car. 98k miles and he drove it back to Kansas!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

fedgery77 and steved033 like this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Cody watched and filled me in while I was working the blue car over. @ATLdoghouse, where's the pics?

I don't like the sensationalists...I haven't watched yet...and that other doofus who bent all the valves doing his "major"...don't get me started.

sjd

xplodee and DefunctNeurons like this.
  3. fedgery77

fedgery77 Karting

Apr 18, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Ha! I saw this the other day! I love how high the mileage is but will probably be expensive to sort it out...but we shall see! But knowing Hoovie, the car will end up being a disaster!

Ballvice likes this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    it's well documented here on f-chat from the first hack major to being sent to FoA for sorting to its sale on the forum at a very fair price to hoovie now having it...

sjd

5. DefunctNeurons

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Do you know the threads about it by chance? Would like to peruse them.

6. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I watched this last night. It actually looks like it might be a decent buy. Looks like the PO spent coin to get it right. Maybe Hoovie will get to enjoy a car for a change.

Never mind... if he does, he won't have many videos about it (since there are no problems), and he won't make any money off views. :D

Ballvice likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    DefunctNeurons likes this.
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    He'll make up problems...like that other guy...

sjd

Ballvice and Drewbdo like this.
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm seriously eyeballing a 348 at the moment

steved033 likes this.
  10. DefunctNeurons

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I have to admit, I wasn’t a big fan of this car for it’s first two decades but the design has grown on me. It has aged very well! The side strakes are very unique to that era Ferrari.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    100% me too

In fact I was picking between it and a 355 (both belong to a friend) and he and I both preferred the 348. Both are such a big step up in seat of the pants power from my 308 QV anyway that I just found other things about the 348 more attractive to me.

ATLdoghouse likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    edit:

When I said , "...I just found other things about the 348 more attractive to me" I meant vs the 355, NOT my 308.

I was born to live the rest of my life with a 308 and I didn't want those of you who know me and that to misunderstand :D. I'll die a 308 guy!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...but like i'm finding, you need a second (third?) one?

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A good friend brought home a 348 Spider (94) and a 355 Spider. He kept them for a couple of years and decided he just was to busy to enjoy them. Both cars were serviced by my guy in Atlanta and were fine.

We both just liked the 348 a bit more than the 355. I'm 52 now so a 0-60 blast just doesn't blow my skirt up like it did back when I was younger. He sold the 355 pretty quickly but the 348 is just kinda hung around. He finally called me and told me he would let me have it for a very (very) good price if I wanted it after someone finally expressed interest in it for significantly more.

He doesn't want it to go and neither do I. The only think that has my foot on the brake at the moment is my restructuring my new office loan and I really don't want to spend that money on a car if I need it for this (pending the land and building appraisal which is due in tomorrow).

I know all about the press and negative reputation that this car really doesn't totally deserve (this isn't a late 89 model, it's a late 94 model). I don't care. I just like the car. A lot. Not big on the convertible, I prefer the removable roof panel but whatever. The black top looks good up next to the red paint.

side note: last year Ric Schumann (from FAF) gave me a massive collection of his Ferrari "stuff" from his time at FAF. Took two trips from Atlanta to get it all home. Part of those goodies was probably every dealer available item on the 348. Brochures (big ones), press releases, glasses, a leather desk thing with the car on it, even a private invitation to the Beverly Hills event for the introduction of the Spider that was sent to John Apen. I have all kinds of things to go with this car.

DefunctNeurons and steved033 like this.
  15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    awesome. Mine's an early '89 car, and has been quirky, but totally not deserving of the negative rep.

sjd

Dino L likes this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They had their growing pains like anything else. All that ******** about the "quirky handling" up high at the limit, etc. just isn't applicable to me. Who cares? I never drive up in that part of the performance envelope in the first place and I was a total track junkie back when we did it all the time in the 90's and 2000's on the local level. In fact I don't think I have even had my 308 over 115 but a hand full of times in 22 years. Maybe 4 times? Five? How these cars behave at 150 is totally unimportant to me. Makes no difference.

steved033 likes this.
  17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Sometimes it's not about going fast. I've been eyeballing a GT4 Dino. Just have to sell my plymouth...

sjd

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was thinking about a metallic green 1969 Plymouth Valiant. Dad had one when I was a kid. Slant 6.

steved033 likes this.
  19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'd daily that. I'd love to do a slant 6 dart restomod (maybe with a 1J or 2J toyota engine...)

I've got a big block GTX. 1971 (the not square body one).

sjd

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  20. Dino L

Dino L Rookie

Oct 29, 2018
    sacramento, ca
    Full Name:
    William D Lozano
    I love my 348.... even though it is a quirky '89.... it's not the TR but still takes me back to Miami Vice days of the 80's everytime I drive it.

steved033 likes this.
  21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Mine's an August build. Yours? I'm pre shock tower chassis plate.

sjd

22. Dino L

Dino L Rookie

Oct 29, 2018
    sacramento, ca
    Full Name:
    William D Lozano
    How do I find build month ?....sorry just looked at the plate I am also an August build

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    NICE!!

now...on the left rear shock tower there's a stamped number. not on the big flat part, on the short vertical, or near to it....what's that number? I'm #64. I'm assuming you don't have the assembly plate on the left shock tower either.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sjd

24. Dino L

Dino L Rookie

Oct 29, 2018
    sacramento, ca
    Full Name:
    William D Lozano
    That is correct I only have the HV warning plate. The number stamped into the vert and also the flat plat is 38 on mine

steved033 likes this.
  25. Dino L

Dino L Rookie

Oct 29, 2018
    sacramento, ca
    Full Name:
    William D Lozano
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 likes this.