360/430 Spider Owners: Are you afraid of your top? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360/430 Spider Owners: Are you afraid of your top?

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, Nov 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you afraid of your 360/430 Spider top?

1. Yes, I always leave it down.

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Yes, I always leave it up.

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Yes, but I don't give into my fear.

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. No. It's worked perfectly forever.

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. No. So what if it breaks?

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahh, but what if there was an alternative?

2. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Agreed there's always an alternative..leave it broken, sell the car cheaply...and of course as everyone will tell you..us Floridians just drive them into the sea (((-::: ...NOT! (-:

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have a 430 spider. I have replaced the cables due to stretching. I had some problems after the car sat out in the sun on days when over 90 degrees. The top would only go partially up due to the cables stretching from the heat

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

4. klotrix

klotrix Rookie

Jul 25, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Enrique Hanabergh Jr
    Hello everyone! To answer the thread I am not afraid of the top. I have had the car now 5 years. Always drive with the top down and always park in garage with the top up. I have never had a problem... until two days ago. The top now opens as always but right before it “tucks” away and the body cover starts to close it stops. It closes fine but gets hung up on the last stage of opening. I filled the hydraulic fluid reservoir last night and it did not fix the issue. Anyone have any thoughts as to the cause. I plan to take it to my mechanic tomorrow unless I get some ideas here on the chat.

2006 F430 Spider
    Rosso Corsa / Beige
    20”

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    FYI , mine does the exact same thing from time to time. My ‘07, 21k mikes does same thing/. When it happens, I simply stop and then start to close top for a few secs. Then I stop and start to open it again and all works fine to completion

I just assumed it was a finicky Italian car like others stated above

For what it’s worth, it closes 100% of the time perfectly

Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. contender23

contender23 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Sunroof Modena if you can find one....

7. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Does anyone know how to lubricate the top mechanism ?

8. John Skevington

May 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    John William Skevington
    Well said...a lot of scare mongering and lack of knowledge too. We have 2 x 360 Spiders..one 6 speed, the other F1. When we purchased the first, it had spent 12 months with so called "experts" trying to fix it. It had even been suggested that the whole roof mechanism needed replacing! We purchased it at a massive discount, brought it to the South Island in NZ where we live. We have a fantastic restoration business based in Christchurch who sorted the problem in 1 hour. Micro switch adjustment and top up oil all that was needed...a $20,000 discount for 1 hours work was fine with us.

Need4Spd, LightGuy and Apollo 11 like this.
  9. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The more you use the top the better it works.

so glad I went for a Spider!!!!

Apollo 11 likes this.
  10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Plus 1...totally agree....even with its finicky nature (i.e., when opening it, as said before, I need to open it, then close it, then open it before it fully closes), its down every time I am in the car. then back up when in the garage on the t-charger.

Can't honestly imagine any street driven ferrari not being a spider...its 75% of the fun having the open air.

Enjoy gents!

EastMemphis and Apollo 11 like this.
  11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hey there Klotrix....did you ever get a resolution from the mechanic on what was causing the issue?

12. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    It's German made. From what I've read, it's the same OEM that does Porsche tops.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I dont understand why anyone would be afraid of their spider top................
    I use mine all the time. Twice malfunctioned. Reset the ignition power and it works again.

And if it breaks I will just have to either repair it myself or get it repaired.

You mean afraid of the cost to repair if they malfunction? The roof top itself is not scary.