A One-of-One Mondial on BAT | FerrariChat

A One-of-One Mondial on BAT

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Temple, Dec 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ferrari-mondial-3-2-3/

Thought a beautiful and special Mondial like this one deserved its own thread. Although I doubt anyone knows for certain I can’t imagine there is another Mondi here in the US in this color. Also I’m very, VERY curious to see where this ends up (bid). Yes, a beautiful and an EXTREMELY rare color, but also with OVER 100k miles (BRAVO!!). As of this writing the bidding is at $25,678 with over 13 hrs left (very strong bidding!!). A “standard” but sorted 3.2 with “normal” Ferrari mileage (approx 30k) would normally struggle to eclipse $30k. But this one with over 100k mileage? Very, VERY hard to guess. That being said I’m going to hazard 35k, though it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it went higher. Now above 40k I would be very, VERY surprised (again if only due to the mileage). Curious to know what everyone else thinks.

Temple

Texas Forever and Drewbdo like this.
  2. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    This belongs to F-Chat member, ScaleDetails. I think I read somewhere that this is the only US coupe in this color (at least from the factory).

At 100k miles, it appears to be a good representation of the build quality of the drive-train when properly maintained, and driven regularly! This is a "Road King", rather than a Garage Queen.

I think the car is a BEAUTY, sorted out, and well taken care of. I wish I was currently in the market.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Totally awesome color, nearly as nice as in gold ;)

steved033 likes this.
  4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Wonder why he's selling so soon. It was his "gotta have" color.

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    30K only? Is that the current market value for such a rare Mondial in the US?

davemqv likes this.
  6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari's in general have dropped (QM's back down to 200k, Daytona's at 600k, 308's well under 100K again), and no matter how often Ferrari owners testify to the fact that high miles on a well-maintained car is usually a good thing, 100k miles no doubt puts a lot of people off....if only because they'll have a harder time selling later. Also, while many love the Marrone colour, many more think Ferrari's should be red. And I think there has been and will always be a stronger appreciation for the Mondial in Europe than in the US. So add all of that up and $30k for this car right now in the US seems about right (although I'd say it's worth much more, personally).

7. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
  8. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I always have been an odd duck when it comes to cars. ;) Personally, I don't mind miles, as long as the car has been maintained. Lowest mileage car I ever purchased had almost 49k at one year old (was a rental car), and I sold it with over 300k about 17-18 years later. My current daily driver was purchased with about 190k, and currently has about 230k.

The Georgia tax man doesn't get much off me... I pay the ad valorum tax when I buy a car, but then I keep cars a long time, and he only gets about $20 / year for the annual tag fee for the next several years. :D lol

When I'm ready to buy my Mondial, I think I'm going to look for a "other-than red/beige" coupe. o_O

Texas Forever and davemqv like this.
  9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Three things are for sure. He always has nice cars, he always says they are keepers, he always sells them. Rinse and repeat.

davem, 2cam and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  10. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Well, if that's the case, maybe in a couple of years, he'll buy it back. :D

11. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
    Hi all,

I am actually getting into the market for a Mondial. If only I got into to it sooner.

This rare find Mondial was within my budget...if only I knew.
    I thought such a rare color despite the 100k+ miles would not deter buyers and push the hammer at close to $40k ( I was clearly mistaken and is my lost for poor judgment on the hammer pirce). An air cooled 911s with similar mileage would have surpass the $30k mark.

Can anyone suggest a good place to find one other than BaT?

I am looking for a stick shift coupe.
    Is there a preferred year....like the '86 that do not require engine out service?

If I had to purchased one reading source, i.e. book....which book would be best on Mondials?

Are there any FClubs in the San Francisco Bay Area that are partial to Mondials?

Full Disclosure:
    I plan to work on it myself, I have been wrenching on car since my pre-teens. My father owned a speed shop for exotics and american muscle during the early 1950's thru the 1980's. luckily for me I have lift at the backyard were I service early 911s.
    I don't plan on reselling the Mondial, unless its replaced with a 308.
    I tend to be a creature of habit, which in my case is to buy, enjoy and hoard.

I thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

davemqv likes this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm with you! My car is black and had over 50k miles when I bought it!

Drewbdo likes this.
  13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi,

There are a few places to keep your eyes peeled and one or two to be leery of. This forum is one of the best places. There is a thread in the Mondial section about Mondial's for sale where you'll likely find every Mondial publicly for sale in the country, and a few being sold privately. Hemmings is anther place to look. Ebay has a few from time to time. Beverly Hills car Club often has one in stock, but approach those cars with extra caution, as they are often marketed as ready to go cars but in reality need A LOT of work.

All cars up to and including the 3.2 can be serviced with the engine in, although many mechanics prefer to drop it anyway. So the Mondial 8 (80-81), Quattrovalvole(82-85), and 3.2 (85-88) all fall into that category. The later and final version, the Mondial "t", requires an engine out service.

There are a few Mondial regulars in the SF Bay Area, including Paul Chua who runs his own mondial website...mondialt.com

Give him a shout. Good luck with your hunt.

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think Stephane (the seller) is just a guy who never met a Mondial (or perhaps car in general) he didn't fall in love with. So he keeps buying and selling them. To me it always seems more like the pattern of a bona fide car nut than a flipper. Selling a 3.2 at $29k can't be making him a fortune.

Cadillacbart and Drewbdo like this.
  15. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Wow, a thread dedicated to my car only!! Very nice! As most of you know I have had a Mondial disease for the past 20+ years, averaging about 1 per year for me, and I have loved them all. This one in particular will probably be the hardest one to let go, and I just can't see myself getting into another one after this. It would be like leaving Sophia Loren after the best 6 month honeymoon phase.
    As for the new owner, I don't think he realizes what he is getting. This is such a rare classic Ferrari that runs as good as it looks, in my opinion the best buy of the decade at that price. Part of me hopes he changes his mind but as I said I made another purchase that has to take up that parking space, besides, I think I have had a great Mondial run and I want this one to be my last, ending it with the best. No I will not be buying any others so no need to tempt me for those that know me. If I ever decide on another car that I have room for it will be one I never had. Good luck with that.
    It does look like the Mondial market hasn't changed much still. A sorted 3.2 coupe for $30K still seems like the average market price.

16. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    "Mondial disease..." ?! That sounds awful. :eek: How about "Magnificent Mondi Mania" instead? :)

Well, if your situation changes, buy this one back. :D

This car really looked like a gem. I would have loved to have bid, but it will be several months before I'm in the market.

Hopefully, when I'm ready to buy, the market will not have spiked.

17. ErikS

ErikS Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    I was the second owner of this car and I put over 30K miles on it over the ten years I had the pleasure of owning it. I Drove my kids around in car seats, commuted to work in it from time to time and even let the dog ride in it. I hope the new owner drives this car like Enzo meant it to be driven; hard and regularly. This a a beautiful machine and needs to be driven to truly be appreciated.

davemqv and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well I think a 100,000 mile Mondial for 30K breaks all the norms on Mondial values.
    Congrats on sale.

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    This was not the average Mondial and I actually don't think it should be used as a guide for future values. Now that car is sold (not paid for yet) I can say that this was in fact the deal of the decade purely based on rarity and condition. With this I will add that this will be the last Mondial for me. #20 is where it ends. Ending my Mondial run with the best ;)
    I will miss this Mondial forum.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Mine has got 120.000 Miles and i Will not sell it voor 40.K

Il Steeg and Scaledetails like this.
  21. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Stephane: I remember looking at your Valeo in Savannah.
    I ended my 5 Mondial run 15 years ago. Was fun!

Scaledetails likes this.
  22. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    First things first, and as a rule of thumb, you're best off making a separate thread, right here in the Mondial Forum as this one was specifically about Stephane's car (a beautiful example!). Next, I'd suggest combing through the Mondial forum and archives for previous threads. Anything you'd want to know about Mondial's has likely been discussed here before. Check YouTube.... There are a handful of books that have good info on Mondial's. Keith Bleumel's Ferrari V8 being one example. As for actually buying one, what I did is I reached out and arranged to meet a few owners in person, and they graciously showed me their cars, gave rides, etc. That gave me some idea about the car and some issues to look out for. Ultimately, the 3.2 that I found came from another member here on Fchat! The car's photo appeared in an unrelated discussion and wasn't even advertised for sale. I simply made an inquiry and that got the ball rolling. You never know, sometimes! So DO keep your eyes open and get personally familiar with these cars and owners. Many folks on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and years of experience. This will help you greatly, post-sale!

Temple and ronfrohock like this.
  23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Psst, hey buddy, wanna buy a Mondi, real cheep, right here in the streets?