Heater Question | FerrariChat

Heater Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Nov 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    This is my first fall/winter with the TR, so I am not sure what I should be looking for...

When I have the temp knob to full hot, plenty of heat. Full cold, plenty of AC. If I put it in the middle, it does cool off the heat some but usually just swings between blowing hot air and then cold air, maybe every few seconds? At least that's what it feels like its doing.

My first guess is that some sort of resistor contacts are just dirty after 20 years in FL before I owned it and I need to use contact cleaner. Wondering what your suggestions might be? Or, it is possible that is how the car is supposed to work? I do love this car's quirks.

6 months of ownership and it is the favorite car I have ever owned.

Cheers,
    Cassidy

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is a climate control system so combines functions. It senses interior temp and tries to make it as commanded. So you are not selecting outlet temp but interior temp. Its ability to modulate is very crude so has wide temp swings at the outlet. Your description is not far off how I would describe it so it may be OK. One of the tricks is to aim and or choose outlets so the air does not blow right on you. I am also very careful to only make very small and incremental adjustments to the temp control.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Have you done the "Sensor efficiency checks" shown on pages H29 and H30 of the TR WSM? I'd start there.

Also, have you confirmed that the little interior fan blower air temp sensor (below the LH tweeter) is actually running and circulating air?

c4b4the04 likes this.
  4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I find that on a Boxer heat isn’t needed in cooler temperatures given that the coolant lines run through the center console which heats the cabin. Is this not the same for a TR? I am mostly cooling not heating.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    !00% different.

MOSS likes this.
  6. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Most excellent advice! I will do both. Thank you. I don't know how I would ever do anything on the car without this group. Cheers,
    Cassidy