599 Lamp Failure fault | FerrariChat

599 Lamp Failure fault

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by papataori, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    #1 papataori, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently started getting a "Lamp Failure" warning on the dash screen of my 599. I'm in Nashville, so I don't have a Ferrari dealer in town, but a local mechanic I use has the Teksa computer system that can hook into Ferraris. He told me the fault he is getting is a head lamp adjustment fault. I have noticed nothing wrong with my headlamps. They work just fine, both in bright mode and regular mode. When my mechanic clears the code out, it comes back as soon as the headlamps come on for the first time after the clear. And it stays on even after restart, until we clear again. So, my lights seem to be working, it's the annoyance of the "Lamp Failure" warning that I'd love to figure out.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Any idea what can be done to fix aside from buying a brand new headlamp which is over $2k from Eurospares? Know of any companies that rebuild/refurbish/fix oem headlamps?

Pic attached of my dash screen with the warning.

Should I also post this in the 599 section?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Will
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I don't have my manuals handy but are the parking lamps all working as well?

3. AZshadetree

AZshadetree Rookie

Nov 6, 2016
    AZ
    Check every bulb in each light.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There was a thread on here about a fault in a rear light on a 458 if i remember correctly, something to do with some ele tronics in the unit playing up

5. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks for the responses. I've checked every light. Turn signals. Parking lamps. Etc. All are working. Anyone know about the "head lamp adjustment fault" my mechanic is mentioning? When I turn car on, the lights raise and lower as normal. I'm hoping this isn't going to turn into a difficult-to-pinpoint wiring/connection issue.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Does it give a code to say if it is left or right ? Just thinking about cross connecting them to see if the fault follows ? If so then it is in the unit.

7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have had to replace bulbs that appeared OK, the difference in resistance reading from side to side can trigger the fault code. If it is only after the main headlamps switch, I would suspect the low beam bulb. If it comes with parking lights, then not likely a headlamp hi/lo issue. These HID bulbs arent cheap but the systems are sensitive.

8. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    when this happened to my 599 it was one of the string of LED bulbs, we overlooked it several times until we stopped for a breather. Easy to replace.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can get the bulbs on Amazon at a quarter of the Ferrari price.

10. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    hi i'm having the same problem. Which string of led bulbs are you talking about?

11. Kiwi599

Kiwi599 Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I’m having the same issue but it registers when my headlights aren’t switched on.

Anyone have any ideas on solving this, and what LEDs were mentioned.

12. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    i solved mine.. It said positioning light but it actually was the blinker lamp that was too old/weak.. Start by changing all the light bulbs. there is a blinker and positioning light for every headlamp, a blinker on the side and a foglight + backing up lamp at the back. Stoplights are leds so no issue there.. The problem will surely be gone..

Kiwi599 likes this.
  13. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Came back..

14. Kiwi599

Kiwi599 Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ian
    My issue was the rear right tail light. The LED light was weak. The only fix was a new tail light from Scuderia parts. I ordered it, waited ages, then easily fitted it myself. A month later on a drive I walked behind the car and noticed the white part in the centre didn’t match the left hand side. Seems I’d accidentally ordered a Euro tail light not a US one (my car is RHD as well). So the only real fix was to order the left side to match. Nearly $2k later I have no warning lights and 2 brand new tail lights. An expensive fix for what should have been an easy fix.

15. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Does anyone knows if the xenon Bulbs are monitored by the canbus system too?

16. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Did you fix the problem afterall?