Which of these newer 12 cyl for long term ownership... | FerrariChat

Which of these newer 12 cyl for long term ownership...

Discussion in 'British' started by Robb, Nov 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Which of these three 12 cylinders would you add to own long term?

To Drive, Enjoy, and appreciate in value?

Let’s say you have a v8 mid engine Ferrari already in the garage,

Vantage v12 stick or v12s sportshift iii
    Vanquish 2015
    Db11

I know they have some different characteristics. Some more gt than others. Some more room than others. Some more modern than others.

Do you see the vanquish as just a bigger db9? Db11 too radical, not pretty enough, no hope of being timeless? Vantage v12 not gt enough?

Will vanquish and db11 only be depreciating for a very long time?

Thoughts.

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  2. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Drive and enjoy, any one of them...As a previous owner of numerous AM's, if you're looking for appreciation you'd better look else where....;)

Robb likes this.
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Vantage V12 stick of course.

carguy246, ryalex and kfmcmahon922 like this.
  4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    If you want an opinion......your age , height and a lot of other things come to mind.
    The Vantage v12 stick is just a WONDERFUL , BULLET PROOF car but if your taller or built more like an American
    it can be tight for long drives. It will hold some sort of value out of the three.
    The DB11 Is a dud, Plastic interior , Mercedes motor and cheap interior gages....They cant give them away and their NEW!
    The second version of the VANQUISH was first scorned by all of my counterparts as we loved our originals, BUT
    In todays lineup of cars, MY GOD they have gotten soooooo sexy plus its modern with nice interior upgrades but still an Aston.
    ALLTHESE CARS WILL BE WORTH NOTHING WITH THE NEW WORLD ORDER, So enjoy your Blonde, Brunette or Redhead!
    Nothing lasts forever, just the memories...……….
    Boy racer....Vantage!
    Style with a touch of grey hair...…….Vanquish!
    Honda Pilot in a coupe form...…..DB11 And I hate saying that because the Honda is a great car.
    GTJOEY1314

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Just a small comment,
    Try to find one of a 100 or so 2017 V12 Vantages with the dogleg manual.
    Unbelievably satisfying to drive and with the highest potential (among discussed cars) to retain it's value.

kfmcmahon922 likes this.
  6. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Is this what you mean by a plastic interior...

Rbwiii likes this.
  7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    You wanted an opinion...…... yes the plastic CHROME A/C knobs and plastic Mercedes dash cluster is a bit weak for a $275,000 car.
    That color combo looks nice, but imho since someone wanted it , its cheaper quality.
    There sales reflect it GREATLY.
    Th dog legs are popping up and yes harder to find but that car for the money is the real deal.
    The newer Vanquish is the sleeper classic look car too me.....It drives like a GT and to me wit a set of Michelins, its a wonderful GT.
    jUST mho.
    gtjoey1314

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have a v8 Vantage that I think is great. But I keep watching values a bit and they are still heading down. I kind of knew that but am wondering if there is another model I might consider that could retain a bit more value...

Probably won’t worry about it though.

I always appreciate the opinions here. So it would seem that all of them will continue to take a hit so buy what you most like... just like most Ferrari’s.

I’ll keep my eyes open for an interesting find on a v12 but will likely hold pat with the one I already have.

Love the looks of the older dbs, vantage v12, along with the vanquish. I am coming round to the db11 with v12 on the exterior. It’s interior seems a mixed bag and I’m not sure I like much about it’s interior. The lines and detailing seem a bit too 70’s flavor....

Vantage seems right size. A little stiff. Others seem a bit big for me which drove me toward the v8 vantage for my current car in the first place.

I don’t like the Honda Pilot at all so I guess db11 is out again for that...

Robb

9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    My V8 Vantage spun a rod bearing on me and, as a result, I decided to never touch an AM car again (most likely lol). My problem isn't with the spun rod bearing itself since that's an anomaly in the V8 Vantage but the fact that parts are very pricey and can take a long time to arrive. In addition to that, finding qualified techs is also quite difficult and the dealer charges an arm and a leg. The thing that most pushed me away is that everything is very tightly packed so working on the car is fairly difficult and requires multiple things to be removed before you can get to what you need. The V8 Vantage has enough room in the engine bay but, due to the stupid front cradle, even accessing simple accessories or the accessory belt is quite difficult.

Out of that list I'd pick the V12 Vantage but keep in mind things will be quite packed in there if you like to do the work. If you don't, it'll be pricey to have it worked on. One of the mechanics that worked on mine (who used to work for AM Atlanta) told me the V12s eat up a lot of oil so if you get one just keep an eye out on oil consumption.

Robb likes this.
  10. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    As the owner of a 2017 V12 Vantage S roadster, with a dogleg 7 speed manual, you might consider me biased, but I believe it is the last analog car ever produced. Just think, 6 liters, 12 cylinders, manual with seven speeds, to achieve the magical over 200 miles top speed, naturally aspirated and only 100 produced. Neither Aston nor any other manufacturer will be able to produce such a car again. Today it is all about the horsepower race, turbo charging and hybridization, for bragging rights of performance. The V12 vantage S, with it's Graziano manual transmission is pretty much at the limit, with 568 HP & 450 lbs. torque. I ordered my car in Alloro green with sport pack option. The sound of that engine is intoxicating. I don't even need to drive it that fast to enjoy, it is a tail happy beast. Playing with that short throw transmission that accelerates tremendously, regardless of the chosen gear, it's nirvana. It is not the easiest transmission, but once you master it, it is the most rewarding experience for a driver. You get an incredible feedback from this car, it's like your favorite pet responding to your commands!

As for the looks, it's proportions, the analog dials and the cascading center console they look so organic, being hand built. There is not a single line out of place in this car. The front grill, the length of the wheelbase to the rear wheel arches and the tail, it is an understated perfection. This car is fairly new, but the day will come that people will really appreciate what this car stands for.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    From what i read the V12 Vantage stick is a hoot.

How about a DBS Stick?

kfmcmahon922 and jehu999 like this.
  12. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007

13. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    That & the 2012 v12 vantage will be the next best, just because they're 50 less horsepower. Although between those two, the DBS gets the nod, being the flagship with carbon fiber body parts, hopefully with no back seats. Good Luck findinga convertible though!!

14. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    Here's a picture!!

Attached Files:

Robb likes this.
  15. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    kfmcmahon922 and Robb like this.
  16. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    kfmcmahon922 likes this.
  17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Theres a new BILLIONAIRE in town wanting to take over Aston.
    Pray...…...If not , they will be a distant memory.

GTJOEY1314

Robb likes this.
  18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You are not biased.
    I don't have one but I do consider it to be the last true analog high performance car that will never have a replacement.
    I truly believe it has a very high chance to become a great collectible, reminds me the 599 with manual that my dealer tried to get rid off at $170k when the same model with F1 was bringing close to $200k.
    Vantage V12 manual, 2017 in particular has even better potential, IMO but is even better driving experience.

19. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    Thank you, I think my car, being a roadster, it's more like a manual Superamerica Ferrari, which was offered in both manual and automatic. Some people will argue that the lines of the coup are prettier. BUT, the symphony of that engine can only be fully enjoyed with the top down and the bypass valves of the exhaust WIDE OPEN!!! That's what driving is all about.

20. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I recently went throughout the same thought process. I have a Stradale and wanted a v12 3 pedal car. I once contemplated and actually was working a deal on a 550 Maranello but my wife vetoed the deal...said I didn’t need another Ferrari.

Fast forward several years and I got the itch for a v12 again. Looking at what was available in my price range, I zeroed in on a Vantage V12.

From their initial release I have been in love with the looks of the Vantage but was turned off by initial reviews of 2006-2008’s. When the V12 was released I was again interested but price held me back. Now that the prices have come down quite a bit on used V12, I was back in the hunt.

I recently acquired a manual Carbon Black 2011 with 11kmi. I love everything about it. Sounds, looks and creature comforts. It is a good companion and contrast to my CS.

So my vote is for a Vantage V12 manual.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Robb likes this.
  21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Plus there were continual upgrades from the first cars...…..It was a GREAT work in progress ANALOGUE car.
    Something that will never happen again.
    NOTHING sounds like the v12...…..try a quicksilver exhaust and blow out the neighbors windows! :)
    gtjoey1314

jehu999 likes this.
  22. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    Agreed, had a 2007 V8 manual as a daily driver in the past, huge progress between the two cars. I think the previous generation vantages, regardless of the engine size, should be manual!! Which makes the V8 (preferably 2009 and after, especially the 15-17 GTS) best value as future collectable. Btw, the vantage went out on top, winning their class in LeMans 2017, with a dogfight, beating Corvette on the last lap. Also beating Porsche, Ferrari & Ford in the process! Reminds me of the 1998 LeMans, when Porsche won, going out on top with the 993, another iconic car that was the last of it's breed. (Biased again, I'm also the original owner of a 1998 C2S) both modern classics.

jehu999 likes this.
  23. kfmcmahon922

kfmcmahon922 Karting

Jan 2, 2011
    East Amherst, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin McMahon

Agree with all the above^^

I just picked up a 200 mile Flügplatz Blue V12 Vantage S dogleg manual, to go with my 458 and GT3RS....there seem to be so many 600-700+ hp mid engined dual clutch cars with all the nannies/electronic aids, these days, that I wanted a proper manual NA V12 car...couldnt be happier! Noise is awesome, looks beautiful, and much less common (only 100 made for USA as others have stated) vs ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Lambo, etc

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. kfmcmahon922

kfmcmahon922 Karting

Jan 2, 2011
    East Amherst, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin McMahon
    sasso1977, Statler, Robb and 5 others like this.