Taken Off Market - 1966 Jaguar E-Type FHC | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market 1966 Jaguar E-Type FHC

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by rdefabri, Nov 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Given my current situation, I decided it was best for me to sell my 1966 Jaguar E-Type FHC. This is a numbers matching Series 1 coupe, with desirable covered headlamps and small taillights.

I've owned this car for 15 years, and it's been garage kept and maintained during my ownership. The car is a driver, in what I would say is between "fair" and "good" condition. Looking at current Hagerty values, a "fair" E-Type is valued around $72,000, a "good" car is valued around $115,000. I am asking $82,500 for the car, and that's a pretty firm price. No tire kickers or hagglers - I don't NEED to sell the car and I prefer NOT to sell the car. It's more that it's the right thing to do, but I'll look for any excuse to keep it, believe me.

The car has 37,735 miles, and has been worked on by Terry Lippincott of Lippincott's Garage, a well known E-Type expert. Terry told me that the odometer reading is very likely to be accurate based on his inspection of the car. Per the Heritage Trust certificate, the car was assembled in February 1966, sold to someone in Ohio, and was originally Opalescent Silver Blue with a gray interior. Obviously it was repainted and the interior redone. I will attest to the overspray - it's poor. You can still see flecks of the original color under the bonnet, I had always planned to return it to the original color, but Terry (sort of) talked me out of it.

The car was purchased from a gentleman in Ohio, who was unable to get in and out of the car. He purchased it from an estate sale, and he believed the car sat for some time. Terry Lippincott corroborated this - he thinks the car has sat for probably 30 years based on the clutch wear and some other indicators. I can't confirm this, but just to give you an idea of the car's background.

When I purchased it, I let it sit for a few years before I took it to Lippincott's Garage. There, I had a new radiator installed, new brakes / calipers / lines / master cylinder installed, carbs rebuilt, new hoses, the rear suspension unit completely removed and rebuilt, the gas tank removed, baked and cleaned.

The car runs well, I drive it often during warm weather months. It will start right up with a bit of choke and once warm, purrs like a big cat should. The interior is in good shape, it looks like it was redone in the last 20 years, as it's not the original color. There's no visible rust to speak of, and the floors look solid.

It has won multiple awards at car shows, and it never fails to get a ton of attention (as E-Types tend to do).

To be clear, it's a driver. It looks great from 20 feet away, but there are some areas that need to be addressed. First, it needs tires. It has redlines, which look great, but they are way over due to be changed. The car also leaks from the crank rope seal - this is a pretty common problem as the original design isn't great, but I made the choice not to fix it. All of the rubber seals are starting to wear - the car would take on water in rain, but thankfully it's never been in rain since I've owned it.

The worst part is the dent on the passenger side bonnet. The bonnet is not aligned, which was how it was when I purchased it, but I ended up swiping the side of my garage one day pulling it out. I received a quote from Terry Lippincott of $1,000 to repair it, but he didn't do the work as he had higher priority projects underway. I never felt worse about the day I did it, which was the day AFTER I purchased my Ferrari 308.

As mentioned, I am asking $82,500 for the car and I'm pretty firm on that. I would consider a trade - maybe an Elise or Alfa 4C + cash, but that's about it. I'm in no rush to sell it, if I even sell it at all. If the right person shows up with the money, it's yours. Otherwise, I'll remain a very happy owner of this car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Its akin to selling your Kidney...
    GLWS!

rdefabri likes this.
  3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Looks great! Wishing you the best outcome you desire.

rdefabri likes this.
  4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Feels like it...

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    worse...you have two kidneys!

GLWS. or not. hope something turns around for you, been there and it’s no fun.

willrace and rdefabri like this.
  6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    GLWS

rdefabri likes this.
  7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks! Remarkably, I remain in good spirits and certain it will turn soon.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  8. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I am speechless. GLWS

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's just a strategy I use for myself, but that dent would not lasted a week!

Fixing it will free your heart, your mind...….:D :D
    It will be "gone"...…..

GLWS!
    An old dear friend always wanted one, he paid in the neighborhood of your ask.

71Satisfaction and rdefabri like this.
  10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    If I keep it the dent is top of the list. I rarely shed a tear over inanimate objects, but did when I bumped it!! :(

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  12. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I wish I fit in these. Such amazing cars.

rdefabri and Texas Forever like this.
  13. fcar

fcar Rookie

May 4, 2004
    Is the E still available?

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I still own it, and I'm now employed, so it's not for sale at the moment. I actually forgot this was posted here!!

71Satisfaction likes this.