355 headers/manifold | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 headers/manifold

Discussion in '348/355' started by nunojcmaia, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Oh and there's me thinking the phrase "rest of the world shipment" ment....the rest of the world shipment.

MAD828 and johnk... like this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    In the works of Johnny Mac, "You can't be serious". If you had been paying attention you would know that the last time they offered free shipping at least one owner on here took advantage of it to by a set of headers. Me thinks you are showing your true colors, GREEN!

SoCal1 likes this.
  3. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If the same product from the same factory made with the same materials and the same hands is available worldwide at different prices then you owe it to yourself to buy at the cheapest price you can. There us no logical reason to pay thousands more under those circumstances.

if there are material differences, then that’s another story, but that would appear not to be the case in this instance.

Challenge and phrogs like this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    By they way, even if you have to pay for shipping it shouldn't be that much. I bought a pair of cats for my car back when I got it. They were shipped directly from Germany as I recall. Shipping was $75 and I had them in 3 or 4 days. I can't get stuff that fast from US suppliers with stuff in stock.

And by the way, the USA IS the ROW. When you foreigners go'a learn that.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hate it that pieces are all over the map... Tubi Sales made me a very legit offer yesterday to match Eurospares and so long as the price for shipping is reasonable, I'd like to go with it. Oh and I hope I can get two shirts and hats (my friend is ill and I'd like to get him a shirt and hat in addition to me).

My only concern is the possibility of some kind of sale eurospares would have at the end of the year. But it's doubtful. Plus I'd rather give my business to the US distributor and the guy who's on here, supporting the forum, and willing to fight for the business.

DaisyCutter, Tubi Sales and johnk... like this.
  6. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Personally I am not into single one to one special offers done via PMs.
    Every one should have the opportunity of buying the manifolds for the same price across the board.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Read through this thread several times since started. I'm very confused.

As a manufacturer of aftermarket automotive, truck parts distributed worldwide. Our pricing is exactly the same varies upon exchange rate to every distributer and commercial customer. If your in South Africa, Indonesia or the EU. How would it be if we sold to Caterpillar for more then we charge AE transit the exact pieces.
    With the worldwide economy we have today it does not make sense to play games. Reputations can be destroyed at hyperspeeds.

Love you all :)

MAD828 likes this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But it raises a question that the US distributor is undercutting the US retailors.

9. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I'll be as clear as possible.

What I want "personally" not as a business standpoint is for the Euro Retail to reflect the US Retail because I as a consumer understand exactly what you are saying. So, I'm agreeing with you but there are rules I must follow as a distributor in the US Market in regards to MAP pricing which I hope you can understand.

10. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Eurospares (I assume an authorized Tubi retailer) sells its 355 5.2 manifolds for €3,779.60. At today's exchange rate of 1.11 this equates to $4,195. There is no disputing this math. If Tubi Italy is forcing US distributors to add an additional $3,100 Ferrari sucker tax for US customers this is insane. I would expect US distributors to be enraged by this--because it is costing them sales--and voice their frustration to the manufacturer accordingly.

If I need headers in the future, I will want Tubi. But I cannot justify the US price.

Michael Burgoyne and tatry68 like this.
  11. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I agree but as you can see from the post above yours, Mike's desired solution is not to get Tubi to allow for US pricing inline with what Eurospares is priced at but rather to try to get Eurospares to increase their pricing by 50%. So if Mike has his way, the lowest price for these headers globally will be $7K+

Again, it is fine that this is what he desires but I find it disingenuous to try to sell it as a customer benefit. I, as a potential customer, much prefer the options we have today vs. a simpler, more consistent but WAY more expensive global pricing.

Mike - why not simpler, more consistent global pricing at the Eurospares level? What's wrong with that? Presumably less margin for you but how would that be worse for us as consumers since you claim to be advocating for us?

Challenge likes this.
  12. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    #87 Tubi Sales, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Rudy - I actually meant it to be the other way around for US Retail to reflect Euro Retail. I guess I wasn't being clear on that.

As for margin and profit, it doesn't amount to anything if the prices are left like this because I know that consumers have the right to decide who to purchase from. I'll do what I have to and/or help anyone here with any questions about Tubi related products with any information that I may have moving forward.

13. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Ok - I seem to have misunderstood you then and I'm glad to hear that!

Tubi Sales likes this.
  14. Tom@TubiStyleNA

May 18, 2010
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi FerrariChat,

Perhaps I can shed a little light on the situation and answer some questions since WE (TubiStyleNA and Champion Motorsport) have been the exclusive North American importer of Tubi Style products until very recently when 3 others were taken on board in North America. Those 3 are JRP Online in Canada, Vivid Racing in Arizona (going by the conveniently misleading username Tubi Sales on here), and FerrParts in California.

By Tubi's own mandate, distributors on each continent are restricted to sales in their region only. So technically Eurospares is in violation of their distributor agreement by selling directly to retail or wholesale customers in the USA. Why Tubi in Italy has not put a stop to that practice is anyone's guess unfortunately but at the end of the day I think it only hurts the brand, as can be clearly evidenced by the conversation in this thread.

Where things get muddy is in the North America. Now we have 4 distributors each fighting for a big piece of a small pie, so price gouging and excessive pricing confusion is inevitable, as each has their own mode of operation and level of dedication to the brand and willingness to operate at tiny margins.

For the past 14-15 years, we had exclusively sold Tubi products directly to retail customers and through our wholesale network of independent shops and Ferrari dealerships. We have consistently stocked between $250-$300k of inventory right here on our shelves in Florida, included both 2.7 and 5.2 manifolds. We have supported our customers (both retail and wholesale) with the best possible turnaround times and customer service we could provide, which I truly believe was top notch.

Now for some transparency. The retail price set by Tubi in Italy for 355 manifolds is $6720. That applies to any dealer selling in US dollars. Our (Champion Motorsport) retail price for the headers is $7350. Our price has several factors. It includes the freight cost from Italy to our warehouse in Florida which typically averages about $250-$300 per piece but can vary up or down, it includes the customs duties and taxes which we pay on each shipment, and it also includes re-packaging which is done on-site here using all new boxes and expanding foam packing. It also includes a small cushion to adjust for changes in the exchange rate and to allow us to pass along whatever savings we can to our dealer network, who we have always done our absolute best to support. We do that because we prefer to sell through our wholesale dealer network for a few reasons. For one, they are typically the installer of each part so they are able to offer package deals and better pricing to the end user by either discounting the part itself or the install labor. This also allows us to continue to support the community overall on a deeper level, rather than simply pushing parts out the door and wiping our hands clean. So at the end of the day, if you're buying through one of our dealers, that $7350 retail price will most likely be less when combined with the installation and the overall level of service and support you receive by staying in our network. Not to mention that you will truly be receiving THE best manifolds you can possibly buy for the F355.

I can't solve the problems illustrated in all the previous posts in this thread, but I'm hoping that my post can at least shed a little light on the contradictory pricing that you may be seeing when searching online.

Thanks,
    Tom

15. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tom,

I genuinely appreciate your desire to provide information and transparency into the Tubi market, especially here in the USA. I am a big fan of Tubi products and run a Tubi exhaust currently. Love it. All my comments here are based in a true desire to understand the business model. HOWEVER...

The information you have provided still does not answer the giant question of why the pricing disparity--adjusted for exchange rates--between Europe and the US. Read my post # 85 above. It is incomprehensible that Tubi manifolds are 75.2% more expensive on this continent than in Europe. Shipping, packing and all the other value-add stuff could not possibly account for this. (Even your quoted shipping from overseas is 3 times what others have stated they paid to get the same product shipped from the UK. And I would expect a $300 shipping job not to require repacking again before being shipped to the retail customer, but that is a side issue).

This is your business and you are not required to divulge your costs to us...nor am I asking. But the math is the math. Either Tubi Italy is screwing US dealers, the US dealers are screwing its customers or a combination of both. There are no other options.

Finally, you mentioned price gouging. As competition increases (i.e., the number of Tubi dealers in the US) prices would be expected to fall, not spike (gouging). But here is another example where normal market forces are inverted and the Tubi 355 manifolds that could be had for $67xx a couple of weeks ago are now $7350.

I just don't get it.

RudyP likes this.
  16. Tom@TubiStyleNA

May 18, 2010
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #91 Tom@TubiStyleNA, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019

Unfortunately there are still some questions that I can't answer. Not because I don't want to, but because I just don't have the answer. What I can tell you is that selling 355 manifolds at $4450 (which is nearly a 35% discount from the set Tubi retail price) would be financially impossible for me, considering my wholesale cost and the other costs I mentioned above. How or why Eurospares is able to sell them that cheap and ship for that cheap is anyone's guess at this point. Just go onto FedEx or UPS and get a price quote to ship a 48x24x12" box at 40lbs to England....that should give you an idea. Maybe they have dead inventory they're blowing out? Maybe they get a substantially higher discount then I do? I just don't know the answer. What I can tell you is that if they're selling at that price, their overhead must be non-existent. I have a 20,000+ sq/ft warehouse and installation facility that houses our inventory and workshop. Sadly...keeping the lights on requires maintaining a certain profit margin on everything we sell.

"Gouging" was the wrong word...lol. It's late in the day on a Monday...LOL..sorry about that.

Like I mentioned above, our price also includes support for our dealer network (or at least it did until the new distribution structure was put into place). In order for me to sell to a dealer or independent at a reasonable wholesale price and still maintain some profit on my end, we have to stick to the Tubi retail price with our other cost factors added in. Again, I know that's difficult to swallow as an end user because the support of a dealer network structure is sort of an intangible thing, but from our end it's a necessity and one of the main reasons we've been successful and able to continue delivering the product for so many years.

As for the shipping, when we receive the shipments here they are not individually boxed. Freight shipments come to me packed in roughly 5'x5'x4' custom built wooden crates, typically 5 or 6 at a time. Depending on how many pieces we have in a shipment, and how many crates total, the amount changes. If they're smaller pieces, like Porsche mufflers or cats, you can fit a lot in one crate. Some of the larger pieces we stock, like Lamborghini muffers or the 355 muffler, take up much more space so less pieces fit in a crate. The $250-$300 number was just an average as I said...sometimes it's much higher, sometimes it's much lower...but we take a historical average and factor that into our price. Our retail price of $7350 has been consistent through the years, with a slight increase about 2 years ago. The other listed prices you're seeing only came about in the past couple weeks as the new distributor structure was put into place. That is the point at which we lost the ability to maintain price consistency within the US market I'm afraid. :(

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm sorry if Tubi Italy have you by the balls, but that's not my problem.

Yes, your price has been high for years,and people are getting wise to it.

Michael Burgoyne and tatry68 like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #93 ShineKen, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    I can say with 100% certainty, ain't no one in the U.S buying a set of headers for the 355 for $7k. Scud owners wouldn't even spend that much. I've paid around that much for Capristo headers for the Scud, but they are a higher grade steel, came with very well-made blankets, and had a 40 hp mid range power increase.

Aren't the inconel Scud Tubi headers around $7K? Why are 304 stainless steel F355 headers $7k?

https://www.vividracing.com/tubi-style-inconel-exhaust-manifolds-ferrari-f430-scuderia-16m-0709-p-152408775.html

Michael Burgoyne, SoCal1 and tatry68 like this.
  19. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I don't have a dog in this fight. That said Tubi would have some "s'plaining" to do if I was their "exclusive" dealer for North America and they created two more dealers overnight. That makes no sense in such a tight market. The only assumption you can make is that Tubi thinks it will sell more product and keep their margins high by having more dealers. That is what my friend's in Italy call "Italian Business Logic".

Further....it doesn't surprise me that US prices are more expensive. A lot of EU manufacturers set MSRP 30-100% higher for the US market. I would struggle to find a product made in the EU that would sell in the US for less. My wife rides horses and the britches she buys are made in the UK where they sell for $80. The exact same britches in the US sell for $200 through their US distributor. So, we stock up on them when we go to the UK, no VAT and no shipping charges.

It seems like Tubi has a quality product but they should really think through their pricing strategy before adding more dealers.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    SoCal1 and Challenge like this.
  21. Tom@TubiStyleNA

May 18, 2010
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I can appreciate your feedback, but I can also tell you that the Tubi 355 manifolds have historically been one of our best-selling parts....at our $7350 retail price. In the past 12 months, I have sold 14 sets total at that price. If you ask anyone who has purchased a set or any dealer that has installed them, they will tell you they are by far the best made and best insulated you can get. There is a reason why Tubi has become an OEM supplier for Ferrari.

Again, some people are willing to pay a little more for the support, customer service, and dealer network support that we offer. Things have obviously changed in the past few weeks as I mentioned above.

jimmym likes this.
  22. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tom, with regards to your evolution muffler, does it have different sound levels like Capristo offers? For example, with Capristo you can get a 1/3 muffler or a 2/3. They both sound the same with the bypass open but have a different volume with the bypass closed. Just wondering if there were different sound level options with the evolution muffler. Thanks.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    No one questioned Tubi being the best headers on the market for the 355. This is about pricing. Still doesn't explain why Inconel headers for a more exclusive car is priced less than basic 304 SS headers. I can understand if the 355 headers were Inconel, but they're not. It's obvious to me it's pure 355 price gouging.... not U.S price gouging. If someone is foolish enough to pay $7k for them, then keep on gouging I guess. As for me, I can just have my buddy in the UK order them and ship them to me for half the price.

INTMD8 and Challenge like this.
  24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And look around at Tubi for other Ferraris, and other cars. Here is one for an F40. Certainly a simpler header to build than the 355 header. Or how about a Porsche 911 or 911 turbo? Obviously pricing has nothing to do with quality, cost of materials, time to assemble, .....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Price is mostly supply and demand. However, most of the explanation for 355 headers being priced at $7k is because of some sort of U.S price mark-up to U.S distributors. Prices for product is set by Tubi Italy and they have F355 304 SS headers far less expensive than Scuderia Inconel headers. Tubi USA decided to set 355 headers priced higher than Scud headers.

Also, the sample you showed is an F40 which is far more exclusive. I don't think anyone will argue that one. Is the F355 more exclusive than the 430 Scuderia?