Who is swapping their 550/575 for a 599? | FerrariChat

Who is swapping their 550/575 for a 599?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Nov 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The price difference between Maranellos and the 599 has never been tighter - almost nothing depending on your chosen spec. The 599 is a whole new generation of Ferrari, using the much more powerful Enzo derived V12, and it also has a whole lot more tech.

Is anyone planning on swapping (I am deliberately avoiding value judgements by not using “upgrading) and if so, what are your reasons? Logically there are plenty of reasons, as Taz said about the FF v 550, the FF is a much better car..but which is a better Ferrari?

My experience on media drives: the original 599 was much faster than the 575 but more numb. Ferrari encouraged drives over long distances, the original 599 road book was London to Budapest. The HGTE was style over substance. But then again, the 575 was more about touring and deep ownership than instant thrills, anyway, so maybe they are quite similar, especially with F1 transmission.

Is the 599 just a better version of a 575? Is anyone in the process of changing over?

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wouldn't trade my 550 for a 599 even if they gave me a 599 and a $50,000 cash bonus

3. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I bought a 599 4 yrs ago and still kept my 575 for that time. It just felt like a big heavy fast car. 575 feels special when I get in it, even now. Have had it for 6 yrs now The 599 had a great grunt, tons of power and torque but a bit unruly. Sold the 599 for a CS. I should have done it instead of getting the 599 but live and learn

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I think those of us who are boomers or older prefer the older analog cars without all the high tech stuff. 599's and later are for rich millenials.

And by & large I think most of us (boomers and older) believe that the only proper colors for wheels are silver and "maybe" gold, and a car's finish should be bright & shiny, not a dull matte.

Thomas S. likes this.
  5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Several years ago I sold my 550 to buy a stunning 599. My disappointment with my decision was nearly immediate -- the 599 felt big and disconnected relative to the 550. The 550 is one sweet car. I now have a 488GTB, which I will keep.

root and Jon Von Bon like this.
  6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    550 tube chassis and manual transmission means that I would not trade. Also digital screens when new are cool, but date cars fast. I've driven bot and find the 550 a more satisfying drive

Jroe550 likes this.
  7. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Not long ago, I was seriously thinking about selling the 550 for a 599. After checking with Daniel (DZ) for some helpful insights, I decided not to do it. For me, looking at the car, I think it's too bulky for my taste, although it is a very very fast machine. I used to get frustrated with my dreadful slowdown issue, but now it has been fixed, I am more happy to stay with the 550. I prefer retro and the old-fashioned dash instruments.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    To directly answer the topic....

CRAZY PEOPLE.

No offence to 599 owners but the 599 is IMO not a manly Ferrari. It looks twice the size of a marrenello.

The F12 and up are better, but I still would not trade. 550 with an exhaust is too special.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    From 2004 to 2010 I went through 550, 575 and 599. I thought (and I still think) at these times it made some sense, because I intended to use the cars as "modern" cars and each change provided some noticeable technical improvements.
    However it's almost 2020, and all these models are (although to different extents) outdated, so they should not be considered in the same way now.
    So if I had a 550 today, I would definitely keep it - and even more than that, if I would buy today one of the 550, 575 and 599, it would be a 550 - as a "classic" car it's the best of the three.
    Today the really different proposition for a "modern" car comes from the F12 and 812, not anymore from the 599.

arizonaitalian and NE550 like this.
  10. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #10 DZ-96, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Hello together

As many know, I added a 599 GTB to my 550.
    I own the 550 since 2010, it was my 1st Ferrari.
    2015 I decided to get a 599 GTB in addition, after thinking about changing the 550 to a 599.
    And i have to say that I'm really happy not to sell the 550.

Both cars are great
    You could believe that there is no reason to have both, 2x V12 front engine, so both are the same.
    It isn't.

The 550 is a relaxing car, still very fast, nice to drive, and with Michelin Pilot SS, John's steering relay and Fabio's 6-1 exhaust system the best thing to drive. The car is just perfect in this spec.

The 599 GTB is damn fast, with the wider Michelin Pilot SS (255 + 315) very direct and makes a lot of fun.
    The 599 is felt, less relaxing to drive, but in reality it isn't.
    I was on a 800 Km 1 day Swiss alps and North Italy trip in Oktober, about 9-10 hours pure pass driving.
    At the evening when i came home, I got out of the car as I was driving 30 Km.

When I have to decide what car I would hold, it would be the 550 (the 6-1 exhaust system makes this decision very clear).
    So the next thing is to get the 6-1 system for the 599 GTB, and then it would be not as clear what car would be the keeper.

Lucky to know, that there is no reason to sell one.
    :)

Drove the F12, really fine car, goes like hell in higher revs, but I like more the 599.

Daniel

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. FrankieFourEyes

BANNED

Sep 3, 2019
    Hi Daniel, how much are Fabio's 6-1 headers and where to buy?

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    These cars are not utility vehicles, they're not even particularly practical. Parking can be a problem because of the easily dented aluminum body work. Some insurance policies preclude trips like going shopping. They attract attention from the police. Fuel economy is not very good. I could go on and on.

They are an indulgence, something that makes us feel "good" when we use it.

That said it's all about what is it about a car that makes us feel "good"? The looks, how it drives, but I think most of all how you fit and feel inside. After all that's where you spend most of the time ............hopefully.

I just happen to really like the cabin of the 550, it just fits, I like every thing about it except for the rear mirror vision is blocked a bit by the center brake light housing. One item that would be a deal breaker for me with a 599 is the hand brake location. I love where it is on the 550/575 as opposed to having it on the tunnel.

It's all about feeling comfortable and I'm supremely comfortable in my 550.

Themaven, Il Tifoso and 308 GTB like this.
  13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I agree! Perhaps an MSW delete kit or reposition it high like on the mustang GT. Speaking of mustangs the 350GTR vs the 350GT biggest difference is the carbon fiber wheels. Our 550 can easily shed the weight at the wheels and with girodisc floating rotors. You can get instant performance. Those stock wheels weigh a ton!

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I noticed that too, Dave, when I first got my 550. I raised the driver's seat to help minimize the obstruction.

Barry

15. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've managed to get the mirror a bit higher which helps. I have an auto dimming mirror, same as the 599 optional rear view mirror. Since the swivel pin is off center I was able to turn the mirror itself around so the control button is on top. I picked up a bit of height which helps .

308 GTB likes this.
  16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Good solution, Dave, with your auto-dimming mirror and its placement. My view out the rear window with the rear view mirror is satisfactory. It hasn't posed a problem on the track or on the streets.

17. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Daniel,

Does John's Steering Relay makes the steering tighter at high speed? My steering feels light at high speed, something to consider.

Regards

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I have John and Dave's Maranello Skunk Works Switchable FHP Steering ECU (switched via SPORT MODE switch). The stock 550 steering ECU tightens the steering as speed increases. You should be able to notice the difference in your 550. The FHP steering ECU makes the steering tighter than stock at low speeds and progressively tighter as the car picks up speed. Steering is noticeably tighter at speed compared to the stock steering ECU. It's easy for me to compare both ECUs' effect on steering at any speed as I can switch between the stock and FHP ECUs on the fly. With FHP selected, my steering is almost as tight as my Porsche 944 turbo.

As my FHP steering ECU is switched on along with SPORT MODE, there are several other parameters that come into play.

19. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi Barry,

Thanks very much for the very helpful insights. I need to experiment it next time. Apparently, my car was installed with dealer's FHP.

Best regards

20. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    @LjT
    Barry wrote all details.
    Contact John, he can give you more information believe the switchable is not available anymore.
    Sure that you have the FHP relay ?
    Perhaps the 1st owner changed it to standard - FHP is much much stiffer than standard.

@FrankieFourEyes
    Please use google, there you find all informations about his website incl. prices.

Daniel

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I hope I helped.

Barry

That's possible, Daniel.

See this thread for a discussion and pictures of the stock and FHP ECUs: 550 Steering ECU

Stock Steering ECU...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FHP Steering ECU...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Barry & Daniel,

You guys are great! Thanks a lot. Will definitely give me some directions to rectify the issue.

With best regards

23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Anyone know if you can modify the steering to have zero boost ? I do not like power steering. Manual has the best feel.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Good luck parking it. Have you ever driven a Daytona? The Maranello would be much, much worse. If you really want to do that, Maranello Skunkworks can set up a hydraulic steering ECU for you pretty easily, but I can guarantee you will not like it.

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just pull the ECU