Hoovie buys a 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hoovie buys a 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by chopsui, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yep.... I have really lost count. I have had 2 new body Navigators in the last 18mo, LOL, so making smart decision is not my forte. I keep telling my wife I am going to sell cars and still have 7, plus the kid cars and work trucks. I try to stay below 12 vehicles at any one time. I am a caretaker, not a collector. As I get older though, I have a few to keep. The new to me 1 M, my 2018 Power Wagon and our 2010 650iC. My problem is garage and parking. I have never been allowed to build my dream garage. I guess my wife figures it would be easier for me to fill it up. I have pictures of all the cars and timelines. Some cars I made a buck or two on. I get bored or see an opportunity. I regret selling quite a few, but that allowed me new adventures when I did.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QSA likes this.
  2. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    That’s why the car sold for $35k. If you can find a pristine Ferrari 348 that needs nothing for $35k show me. I don’t believe it.

The video shines a dim light on the car- some people like Sparco seats like the previous owner that tracked the car. See there is a reason to rhyme sometimes. The seats had a purpose. As for the exhaust, the previous owner again removed one of the cans to lighten the car. Also This is not a Ferrari 550 or some other future collectible. Paint, no it wasn’t concours but was not faded and fine for a car again that was tracked and driven the hell out of. But if you want a perfect paint job than repaint it. But does all the above make it a POS? I guess it depends on the point of view you’re coming from.

I enjoyed it for the most part. But truthfully I won’t go down the old Ferrari path again. Not that I don’t think the 348 is an awesome sports car.
    If tinkering with the mechanics was my thing like a few of my friends do than I would have kept it.

My next sports will be something modern and more reliable.

Was it worth $35k. Yes I believe it was and I also had a lot of folks called me after Hoovie bought it that probably would have paid it as well.
    Others maybe $20k.

Thanks too all over the last 2.5 years that helped me when I had a questions about the car.

Best regards

3. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Glad it all worked out for you and Tyler in the end.

For the sake of discussion, you went through the ownership process of a high mileage 348 that was cheap to acquire, but not to own. You have documented a lot of your experience on FChat. This puts you in a position to advise some of the new guys on buying a Ferrari on the cheap.

Both of these threads are cautionary tales on buying cheap Ferraris that are needy.

Is this a record?

Porosity Oil Leak in Block

carnutdallas likes this.
  4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great way to tie it all up Boke!

Jakuzzi, vdettore and BOKE like this.
  5. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    @ vdettore: been around and involved with Ferrari’s for nearly 25 years. I find them highly overpriced and poorly built. But like all of us, the mystique, the sounds, the lifestyle and the history has always been intriguing, lustful and worth the experience. Unfortunately the marque is really good at separating ones money from ones wallet. A terrible, terrible travesty. Truly rich guys, get taken to the cleaners. Not worth it. Just not. I always wanted a 355. The Zenith of automotive lust for me. I cannot fit in Countach or Miura. The bb512i was always a dream, but uncomfortable as well. 30 years ago, I really thought those cars were “it.” But they are not. If you are rich and want to store up treasures, Ferrari’s, Lambos, Mclaren, then you can do that. But they are not “great cars.” Hoovie has documented hours of old exotic cars misery.

I have owned the best of the best in 355’s in my opinion and to just have it, drive it and use it, became no fun. I have had 348’s, 308’s and realized after driving FF’s, 458’s, 488’s and many other new ones, that I could not afford and still buy other cars, it was not worth my time or resources to buy old Ferrari’s.

You probably have realized the same thing? I for one went in another direction and love it! I wish you the best and glad you made a few minutes of online fame. Fun to share the journey. Cheers!

BOKE likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    vdettore and BOKE like this.
  7. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I couldn’t agree with you more and thank you for the comment. Being in my 50’s I grew up in a time when Ferrari’s and the other exotic brands seemed to be the pinnacle. I had stacks of Car and Driver and R&T in the magazine rack.

But like you said, if you’re not rich the thrill of owning one can be negated by the expensive upkeep and the fear of the next thing that tears up. Now there are guys on here that do their own Maintanance and factor all that into the ownership. And that’s great, but not for me at this point in my life.

Having owned several C4-C6 Vettes I could handle my own repairs and service. They’re Chevrolet’s and what I grew up on. The cost of the car and cost of ownership not that daunting.

My next car will probably be a C7 Z51 or GS though who knows, another Miata or maybe an FTYPE( no probably not, I have a friend with one, again future up keep factors). But that’s me.

carnutdallas and BOKE like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats! The thing with Hoovie is that he is fake. He only does it for the money; he is not bargain hunting. He wants the views and the paid clicks... Content is becoming meaningless...
    I like Sam from
    Seen through glass.

mikeswplt and carnutdallas like this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's precisely why I always tell first-timers to never buy sight-unseen.

But as always, the 348 is a perfect subject for Glamour Shots.

vdettore likes this.
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It would be great if Hoovie or any of the you tubers just bought a great example and started from there... :)

Isn’t that the real point though?

But that does not cause for click bait or subscriptions.

I don’t know. It works for Harry’s garage with plenty of attention. And he owns a TR... not particularly hardy or cheap there either. But he drives it often and maintains it well which seems to be the secret sauce. I’m going to drink that koolaid.

Are the cars expensive, yes. Are they worth it all in - to me yes. Do I want to own a car without quirks, sure. Is that a vette, Miata, or or other lesser exotic, like a P-car... No.

No problem here. Moving right along and planning on adding that 12 in the future.

Robb

JoeTSI, BOKE and carnutdallas like this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb

Robb

BOKE likes this.
  12. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Robb your my hero. A wife that likes the cars. A stellar garage with a proper display area, shop space and fantastic place to drive. All things lacking in my suburban space. I will continue to live vicariously through you, LOL.

Can’t wait to see what 12 you buy. Sure it will be gorgeous. Cheers!

BOKE and Robb like this.
  13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #38 Robb, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Are there other cars to enjoy out there? Absolutely. Would I enjoy them to the same level as the Ferrari’s? No.

But that is my special vice and dream since I started my first real job at 13. I would go to Ferrari of Houston after midnight getting off work and press my nose to the glass planning and dreaming for the future.

I would enjoy a countach in the garage also but like Rob, I don’t fit in one...

I’m a normal guy, not a millionaire. Life is short. I am enjoying every day I can.

I’ll volunteer to point these you-tubers in a GOOD direction for their next story, but their headline CANNOT include the words “cheapest”, “fix”, “fire”, “salvage”, flood”, “crazy”, “next”, or “wrong”.

The title can include the words “adventure”, “roadtrip”, “epic”, “dream”, “perfect”, “lifetime”, “sublime”, and “driven”.

You see how easy it could be for them...

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Koenig1, baschul, wax and 11 others like this.
  14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    WORD. +355

carnutdallas and Robb like this.
  15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    And I wasn’t trying to push the F355 in this thread... that’s just what I own.

I know I can help those you-tubers toward the perfect 348 all day long. There were a number of perfect well driven versions at the FCA concours and so many great stewards right here. Make mine a black spider...

Robb

carnutdallas likes this.
  16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    It isn't about one model or another, or even exclusive to Ferraris, IMHO. Good cars that were well maintained and "loved" are always going to provide the best ownership experience over time, for the "next guy.":D

Getting involved with any marque, learning what interests you, and looking for a car is all part of the game. Buying better cars costs more initially, but gives you a lot more in return. The “adventure,” “roadtrip,” “epic,” “dream,” “perfect,” “lifetime,” “sublime,” and “driven” stuff comes a lot easier when your car isn't in the shop, sucking up your adventure budget.

I like YouTube a lot. I believe as the platform matures, the creator's content, and the audience will also. This is just the beginning.

carnutdallas and Robb like this.
  17. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Maybe I should start a new thread. Give up all my secrets on how I drive exotic and expensive cars for nearly free.... Would that work for a YouTube channel, LOL.

My folks said by age 3 I could name every car going down the road as I stood in the back seat of the car - ahh the 70’s :)

I have been a car and gear-head since the womb, Hahaha. GOD has blessed me and my desires for a beautiful wife, gorgeous daughters and an automotive business to enjoy my passion. Just utterly completely blessed. Praise GOD. I give back. I give thanks and I wheel and deal all day long. I start with a goal.

In 2010, 355’s were cheap, really cheap. I joined Fchat and started watching and learning. I usually buy a car and drive for 10-12 months. Some 16-18 some 4-6. I size up my cash outlay and I have solid, solid credit. I can roll in and out of car loans easily. I have 3 cars at 0 interest now and keeping those - free money!!

The others I leverage what I have clear title to and wheel and deal to the car I want. When the 355 bug hit, after I realized I could pull it off, I went “hunting.” A 348 Spyder turned into the Gated GTS - a stretch, but cash down and good credit got me a cheap payment. I bought and sold project cars, trucks or “kid” cars to build cash back up. Loved that car - the GTS. It Pushed all the buttons. But really no where to drive it. Dallas city traffic is terrible for vintage Ferrari pleasure :-( and I could sell it to someone deserving of it for even money and get my cash back.

Over the last 24 months I have bought and sold 5 Ferrari’s, thinking I would end up with my dream car I saw online 12 months ago - I did! And it made me sick. I was a nervous wreck, ended up with something to valuable to drive. No way to display or enjoy it. Just a car. A gorgeous car. I bought a really, really nice F1 GTS as a driver and then realized I had more cars and worries than I could enjoy. I also had 4 trucks and a parking problem, LOL. I made a few deals, freed up some cash and caught a whale of a corvette deal and then some.... I realized a way out and a cheaper kind of joy. I have a car partner in crime that eggs me on too, so he steered me to cars that I could “move.” He convinced me to take a skinny deal and loss on the F1 GTS, free up cash and roll to Vettes. Then I got the call that a Billionaire wanted my GTB - Ding, ding, ding!

So in the last 24 months I have gone from a Ferrari fan boy owner to a relieved multi Vette flipper :) My goal has always been to own cars for free! I also want to “win” at the table like a Dino owner, Early 930 owner or a 3.6 Turbo owner - take a classic and ride an appreciation wave. I think it can be done!?!? So I took my cash, bought the ZR1 for a daily toy that is stupid fast and cheap. No belts!! I bought a 1990 ZR-1 to see if 30 year cars pop to Europe at click of the “gong” and I bought the BMW 1 M cause that car will break 6 figures and I have 10 years to prove it. Also a hell of a driver. Great car show fodder and bragging rights.

I have lots of stories, not fish stories - not lies at the bar to impress girls, just a lifer car guy who does not want to own cars that cost me money. I want cars that I own for free or for a profit to offset some losses. I don’t hunt, fish, ski, Ranch, lake house, golf or buy season sport tickets. I car. I car all day long. I drive, I tinker, I lightly restore. I annoy my wife and kids. I am CARNUTDALLAS

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Drewbdo, wax, Jasonberkeley and 3 others like this.
  18. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Man the YouTube algorithm seems to think I want to see all these lousy "I bought the cheapest (insert luxury car brand)" "OMG look at all the things wrong with it???!!!" videos because I watch things related to cars once in while. Pretty soon all the inexpensive cars will have been bought up by these opportunists and we can move on

19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...as long as the opportunists don't ruin values of terrific cars with all their drabble... "Oh I saw all over youtube that these are garbage..."

sjd
    your experience may differ.

ernie, carnutdallas and Robb like this.
  20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Cheers, glad you enjoy the videos. Hoovies burnt 355 is now owned by YouTuber Tavarish who I believe is planning on doing the rebuild and grafting on a GTB roof section ? Anyway having just helped Sam fix the green 360 spider down in Florida, I'm now waiting for Freddy to call and ask me for some help with the 355 :D:D:D

Koenig1, Davsk1, carnutdallas and 2 others like this.
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep that's the problem. One guy clearly showed how you need a whole new valve train when you do a service.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks for the story. I think we were cut from the same cloth. I have a couple of friends since high school that run along the same lines. They like to go to the Mecum auctions, though( not for me, but hey it’s fun watching them).

Actually I’m burnt out on the “hunt” for the next sports car. It’ll come back, maybe, and in the mean time I’ll do some salt water fishing In my new center console.

Cheers

carnutdallas likes this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I wonder how taking the engine out became such a big deal, too. Or am I the weird one?

sjd

phrogs and BOKE like this.
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The WHOOOOOLE thing was planned that way. The teaser was "a major service plus some surprises, wait and see!" We all thought it was some mods. Ohh how cool maybe chips or TB porting or something! Ahh well it turns out it was just a major. What was the surprises you ask? It was the broken brackets and bent valves and other issues etc that was planned ahead of time to create more videos and more content and more clicks. Whats better than 3 videos? Why its a s**t load of videos! But you can have that many videos with out complications can you. The more the mess the more "shocking it is". #NormalGuySuperfake,

BOKE and steved033 like this.
  25. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Jelly of that! I am an old boater and fisherman. My late father raised us on the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic coast. Many a morning sunrise over the Atlantic heading out to the “Canyon.”

Moved away from the coast 25 years ago. Not worth my time in Texas! But as soon as the kiddos get out of school, I am going to drop anchor in Maine and Florida running up and down the cost with a Subaru for the wife and my (by then old) Power Wagon will be towing a nice CC. She wants to sell bait

All my cars are designed to cash out and up for a boat or two eventually. All the best. Enjoy and Happy Holidays.

BOKE, Wade and vdettore like this.