Seeking the longest single-family Ferrari ownership | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Seeking the longest single-family Ferrari ownership

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by torquespeak, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    The AAC 815 was in a small museum in San Martino in Rio (between Modena and Reggio Emilia) until 1989/90 I think. I went there in 1991 to see the car only to discover that it was not there and had been sold to the current owner. I was given his name, address and phone number and an English lady living near the museum called him for me. He was happy for me to go to see the car the following day but unfortunately that did not work out. A big regret to this day, although I have seen the car since.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I guess it's time to chime in.
    I bought my GTC (10795) from FAF on November 8, 1975.
    I'm the second owner, the first a Mr Pardew, who sold it to Ed Waterman, who then sold it to FAF.
    It was the first V-12 car that FAF sold.
    Yes, I still have it, and I drive it regularly - it's coming up on 188,000 miles.
    As I may have mentioned before, it's the only car that has ever won the Hilton Head Island car club event "Best in Show" TWICE.
    Bob Z.
    ps - I will NEVER sell the car. When I check out, it goes to my lady-friend and she will do with it as she pleases.

Zanny1, halr75, davidoloan and 4 others like this.
  3. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Magnificent! Care to share any photos of the car with us?

-Ed

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Interesting. I believe Mario Righini found the AAC vettura 815 #021 'after the war' but I don't know when it was purchased.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You mean AAC 815 chassis #021.
    Mario Righini is the 8th owner, he got it in the 70s.

Marcel Massini

375+ likes this.
  6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Ed - glad to share.
    These are my two favorites!
    First photo was taken while camping at a model airplane contest.
    Second photo taken when we won "Best of Show" for the second time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    My dad bought this 250gt (sn1493) in 1962. She's had an up and down ride, with many years apart or in storage, but has survived pretty well intact. This is my son with the car wearing Chuck Dietrich's ARRC shirt from back in the day. Chuck raced this car once or twice for my dad back in '62. It was not his best Ferrari drive, that would have been the SWB he ran at Sebring and Daytona in 63-64, but his career spanned MGTC's in the early 50's, pretty much every Elva through the 60's, FA/5000 in the early 70's and FB and Atlantics into the 90's: consider of that range of variables in race car dynamics. May our old cars help us to remember the folks who created, raced and preserved them, and their times.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've loved reading the stories posted here so far. Had a weekend of seeing pictures of 'Ferraris' (built almost entirely in the UK within the last few years, using borrowed chassis tags, yet wearing all the badges...), so hearing tales of 50+ year ownership of *real* Ferraris passing down through generations is cheering. Thanks for sharing!

-Ed

9. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Was not this the car that Ferrari had painted a rather ugly color because he did not think a woman should drive such a powerful car?

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    That's how the story goes. Because the 375 MM was such a fearsome racecar and it was going to a client who wasn't going to race it and who was (horror of horrors, I guess, in his mind) not a man, Enzo ordered it painted yellow with a green interior.
    Never mind the fact that her brother Howard Keck sponsored Indy cars from 1950-1955, fielding the winning car in '53 and '54 with driver Bill Vuckovich and his Kurtis Offy.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I think that car is spectacular. The color's may have sucked in period but not today in my opinion.

TTR likes this.
  12. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    Is that car still living in the Pebble Beach area?

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    My story is a little different. In 1985 I received a late '83 512BBI for my high school Graduation gift (17 years old). 33+ years later I still have it. I'm 50 now. The car was pretty much brand new When I received it.

Nembo1777, gt1995, davidoloan and 9 others like this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    She lives in Nevada.

Marcel Massini

nschots and 375+ like this.
  15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Lucky kid!

Daytonafan likes this.
  16. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I was another lucky kid. After both my older brother and older sister "dropped out" of college my Dad very happy that I completed with a degree in civil engineering [same as he did]. He offered me his 330 GTS [s/n 10359] as a graduation present. I turned him down for two reasons. First the car would be my only car and a convertible does not have much room for "stuff". Second my Dad kept his cars immaculate. As a daily driver and not having the funds to keep his car to the same level of perfection he would be disappointed to see it when I came home to visit.

So I suggested he buy me a 330 GTC [s/n 10857] instead. We found the car at Ed Waterman's Thoroughbred Motorcars located in the below ground parking garage of an office building in Arlington VA. This was in 1976. I drove that car for 9 years and 100,000 miles. It went everywhere....including over the sand dune to park on the beach in Crescent Beach FL!

My Dad bought his GTS from Jamie Wyeth, one of the family of famous artists living in Chadds Ford PA. He paid $6500. My brother had that car until last year selling it to the next caretaker in England. That was 45 years in the same family.

Interesting coincidence today.....I noticed this car and it seemed familiar to me. I talked to the owner and he confirmed it was another car once owned by my Dad. My ex and I took our driving honeymoon in this car back in 1978 after the alternator failed in my GTC and we needed a back-up car! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ryan S., christc, davidoloan and 8 others like this.
  17. teddeman

teddeman Rookie

Nov 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    J Teddeman Hull
    #42 teddeman, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    When I sat in Papito's 212 a few years ago, it had less than 21000 miles on it. Considering the VP of Ferrari took him to the bank that repossessed the car from "the idiot that could not afford it," and he bought it on the spot, I would consider it a single owner car. He told me it was the only hardtop Ghia made and likely the only 3 window in existence.

Attached Files:

18. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI

19. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Hi Steve,

I still have the C/4 which is currently resting in North Carolina at Farrell Creations & Restorations being stripped & painted. I chose not to go back to the original Verde Medio Nijinski (a bit loud for me) but rather the period correct Blue Sera Metallic. I think the color fits the car's design and bulk while blending well with the black bumpers. The engine was rebuilt a year ago so the car should be in fine fettle for the next 100K miles.

Cheers,

Sam

Zanny1 likes this.
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While yellow is not among my favorite colors on any car, I agree it over green being quite spectacular on this one and wouldn't be surprised if this combo was something she specifically requested.

21. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Sam...that's great to hear! And I agree that Blu Sera Metallic will look great on the C/4. I had another C/4 about 7 years ago that was a dark blue. It too worked well with the "Ubangi Lips" black bumper. I am looking forward to see you and that C/4 again.

You definitely made the right call to not go back to the original finishes. My Dad used to call the Verde Medio Nijinski color "Puke Green". It was awful for the C/4. Just as bad were the green, white and black plaid cloth seat inserts! OMG! But hey.....that was 1972 when avocado green appliances, burgundy toilets, and shag carpet were in style.....lol.

22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario

Here's a video Jay Leno made about 0213 EL with the longtime owner's son.

By the way, did this car sell at Monterey?

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As discussed previously already 0213 EL is not the longest owned Ferrari ever. Not at all.
    Rodolfo Junco de la Vega got 0213 EL on the 7th November 1958 only. At the time the car was seven years old already and de la Vega became the sixth owner.
    Bob Lee bought his 250 Boano Cabriolet 0461 GT brand new in March 1956. Still with Anne Brockington Lee today.
    The yellow 375 MM Spider PF 0460 AM went brand new to Willamenta Keck Day in September 1954. Still in the same family today.
    And there are others too.
    I understand 0213 EL was a no-sale.

Marcel Massini

Schultz, Lusso123 and readplays like this.
  24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yes Leno's videos frequently get big claims wrong, but the conversation with the longtime owner's son is worth watching as long as one is not too desperate for historical accuracy and detail.

readplays likes this.