News Flash! SS Braided CIS Injector Fuel Line Supplier Found! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

News Flash! SS Braided CIS Injector Fuel Line Supplier Found!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dave80gtsi, Jun 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #26 CliffBeer, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    Personally, I don't give a sheit about concours "judging" come on, we're talking about a safety issue here not the cut of one's suit or a fashion faux pas.

The plastic lines are certainly adequate for the job from the standpoint of the physical characteristics of the lines themselves. The points of likely potential failure have little or nothing to do with the physical characteristics of the line, rather, the environment in which the lines reside. Silly things like the handle of a stray wrench hitting one of the lines when an overly tight bolt let's go, or, contact during R&R major components in the engine bay, or simply routing the lines incorrectly and creating a bend exceeding the limit of its safe flexibility, etc. - these events cause the plastic to deform and develop a weak spot which can lead to a leak. And, while the pressures aren't incredibly high in a CIS system v. EFI, it's plenty of pressure to cause a spray rather than a drip, and a spray (partial atomization) is sure to catch fire whereas a drip may not.

The SS lines go a long way to lessening the potential risk of fire - the SS lines will stand up much better to the above kind of environmental events which tend to cause weak points resulting in leaks and spray (rather than the line itself failing absent these events). Finally, I'm going to be replacing these lines every 5-7 years anyway so I have no concern with regard to which type of line may more easily identify a leak....besides, if the rubber portion of your SS lines has sprung a leak, that leak is going right through the sheath and you'll know it.

It's a great safety upgrade and I'll feel better with having had it done.

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    If I'm not mistaken, the lines that Dave & Verell have sourced out are SS sheathed Cohline. The leaks tend to occur @ the terminations......unless the line has experienced excessive bending.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    GOOD POINT! I believe you're right, I'd forgotten about how much spray the CIS line pressure would generate.

Actually, it's 72-81 PSI: about the same as a lot of EFI systems. In fact the CIS fuel pump can be used when doing an EFI conversion.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #29 Verell, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    I've had several PMs & eMAILs asking varients of this question:

The proposed kits are NOT complete plug & play lines.

The 308/328/Mondial SS Braided Injector Lines Restoration Kit would probably contain exactly what is listed. ie: the ss line & sleeves necessary to replace the black plastic portion of injector lines with SS braided line. You would re-use the metal banjo and injector nut fittings & associated metal lines.

The K-Jetronic (CIS) SS & Plastic Fuel Line Restoration Kit, 308/328/Mondial would probably contain everything in the injector line kit, additionally it is envisioned as having 5mm black plastic line to replace the black plastic line to the cold start injector, and enough large size SS braided line & sleeves to replace the plastic or SSbraided portion of the fuel distributor inlet, return, & frequency valve lines.

Earlier I responded to a request for 'turnkey' or 'plug-and-play' kits:

5. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would be interested in the amount needed for a 308 GTSi, along with the farrels. Tom

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Just got off the phone w/CohlineUSA. The container for mid-july deliveries shipped today, so they had a complete invoice for it. Unfortunately, The 20M of ss braided line I ordered is 'still in manufacturing' so didn't make today's container.

Next container will leave 2nd week of July & get here mid August. I'm trying to get confirmation that the line & sleeves will be in it. It's too late to get confirmation from Germany today, and my US contact starts 2 weeks vacation Monday so earliest I'll hear anything will be the week after 4 Jy.

7. cisdemon

cisdemon Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matt Honeycutt
    I'm sure bringing this back from the dead but I've been searching for days on replacement CIS lines. Can you still get these? Or do you still have the contact you where using?

Thanks

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes, I've been continuously supplying the fuel line kits since I announced them. They're in my catalog:: unobtainiumsupply.com.
    To order send email listing what you want.

9. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Nice work, men....Verell...I would certainly be a be an immediate customer tor a complete set of all of the fuel lines in SS for my 1980 ser. 1 400i, if you are willing to make them for me. Jacque. at : [email protected]. Just let me know how to pay you for them, and I will forward the fee to you. Thank you for all that you do for us all. Jq.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    jacques,
    I'll be happy to quote & supply a custom version of the K-JET400 kit with ss braid covered 6mm & 8mm OD plastic lines instead of black plastic lines. You can re-use your current fittings.

Regretfully I cannot supply completed lines or cut to length lines for the reasons I mentioned a few posts earlier in this thread. If you need specific end fittings I can also provide them. I also strongly recommend my K-JETBTOOLbarb insertion tool..

Would the SS braided kit meet your needs?