F50 GT - Greatest Car to Never Race? | FerrariChat

F50 GT - Greatest Car to Never Race?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Booker, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    The F50 GT is probably my all-time favorite Ferrari, mostly because the F50 brings back fond childhood video game memories, and the GT is an extreme and rare version of the car.

I didn't know all that much about the car until I read this tho... 0-60 in 2.9 seconds back then? whoa
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/1180

That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of great prototype cars that never made it to an official race... but the answer to the question for me at least is- yes the F50 GT is the greatest car to never race

Ferrari 308 Vetro and NürScud like this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ferrari getting hosed by a motorsport governing body? No way! :rolleyes:

The F50 is my favorite Ferrari road car of all time, but I was not aware of the GT's story. Very interesting.

Booker likes this.
  3. flagger

flagger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2011
    West Virginia
    Had an opportunity to see this car when it was brought into the U.S. for delivery to client in California. It was the center piece to the FCA banquet held at the Landsdowne Resort in Northern Virginia, just North of Dulles Airport. They brought the car into the Dinning Room in a crate and when positioned, peeled away the top and sides for the reveal. It was truly amazing to see. After the dinner, the car was re-crated and sent on its way to California where I believe it still is located.

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    001 was dyno'd in 2017, it made 975hp at 12,500 rpm. The rev limit is set at 10,500 to preserve the engine. There are telemetry notes that came with the car that show was run at over 13,000rpm at Fiorano
    The owner has 5 blocks and three 3 complete long blocks as spares. It still maintains it's Le mans gearing, and is good for over 240+ mph with the wing in it's lowest downforce setting. It has always been run by the owner with the wing in it's highest angle, even still it's gone 220mph. Interestingly there are cut outs behind the steering wheel where they were running steering input and angle telemetry.

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    one of the most desirable cars in existance and despite it being 20+ years old is still faster round a track than an FXX-K evo !

would love to see a journalist review, ideally chris haris or someone

rajaramsivasankar likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It was built as a competition car, unlike the XX cars, which are lab cars. That said, we all know that if Ferrari decided to turn the Evo into a race car, it would absolutely destroy the GT, as it should given the difference in technology.

7. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Where are the other two? I think I remember one being overseas in huge collection.

8. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I loved this car.

If the value on a base F50 is so much, imagine the GT.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    One in CA
    One in NY/NJ
    One in Japan

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    IMO this is what Ferrari and Ferrari collecting is all about. Sound, beauty, performance and rarity. Must be quite the privilege to own one of these three and have so many spare engines as well.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    For some reason I thought the east coast car is in Pennsylvania (002) and the other with Sam Li in the middle east (003). 002 and 003 were in Japan for a while though.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145415815/

12. Caperanch

Caperanch Karting

Jul 28, 2006
    San Diego CA.
    Full Name:
    Gary Opp
    I got to see this car uncrated at Ferrari of San Francisco in Mill Valley, I've got a picture of it in storage, as soon as I can dig it out I'll post it. Incredibly wicked car in person. Cheers!

Bthesixthree likes this.
  13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes you are right.

14. Blueboost

Blueboost Rookie

Jan 29, 2011
    I'm in agreement with the title question. Yes, it is.

Booker likes this.
  15. notsofast

notsofast Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    Speaking of Chris Harris-he has a podcast called Collecting Cars and on one episode he had former McLaren test driver and car developer Chris Goodwin on as a guest.

What was most interesting to this subject is that he spoke about the team he was GT racing with back in the mid to late 90s (Parabolica Motorsport possibly) was interested in buying an F50GT and Goodwin found himself at a test driving the car with others like Nicola Larini.

I’ve never heard of any potential customers for the car (to race it) at that time so it does raise the question of who else was looking at buying and racing the car (most probably in FIA GT).

All I’ve ever heard is of the car being built tested and then Ferrari pulled the pin. Nothing about any potential customers.

16. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Bernie Ecclestone put great pressure so that the car does not race.
    I also think that this car was ideal for the 1996 BPR but was obsolete for the 1997 FIA GT.
    It would have been necessary a long tail evolution in order to use a more efficient rear diffuser and a 6.0 engine to be competitive against the Mercedes CLK GTR and the McLaren F1 GTR long tail.
    I guess that the Maserati MC 12 marks a bit of this EVO package that the F50 GT would have needed.

I understand that Benetton showed interest in using the car. They finally used the Lotus Elise GT1 in the FIA GT.

17. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    One of the greatest engine noises of all time.

ShineKen, Tenney and NürScud like this.
  18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great race cars have a great history and a winning record. This car has none of that. An interesting piece of Ferrari history but beyond that? Nothing comes to mind.

For all we know it may well have been a dismal failure when faced with competition.

19. Valerian

Valerian Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    George
    Afaik 25 cars were supposed to be built. 2 of them for Scandia Racing, 2 for Benetton sponsored Ferrari Club Italia, 1 for MomoCorsa and remaining 20 would go to private owners in Europe.

20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    The original Doug score!

21. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Anyone knows if any of the two US F50GTs will be displayed somewhere anytime soon?

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

The big question that should be of national importance. I would love to see one at Cavallino since they are celebrating the F50...

23. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Twelve cars were 'officially' ordered before the project was scrapped, 25+ were supposed to be built, but twelve were officially spoken for. Not including two ordered to go to the Sultan of Brunei, 001's original planned destination after shakedown, testing, client previews etc.