Launch X431 Diagnostic | FerrariChat

Launch X431 Diagnostic

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by caymangone, Jan 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I'm looking at buying the Launch X431 diagnostic tool. It looks like several are using some form of it. From what I can see, there are two variants of the X431 Pro but are all made by the same company (Launch). The only difference being where they come from. The X431 Pro is sold by Launch Tech USA through their US distributers (AutoZone, NAPA, etc.). The X431 V is an overseas variant (Asia?). At any rate, some say if you're going to buy one, get the US-distributed model (X431 Pro) from Launch Tech USA as they have much better support and is easier to update through their website. After checking the price through AutoZone, it was around $1,800. However, the "X431 V (Pro)" model sold through Amazon is $800. So I guess my question is, is there anything else different between the two that explains the huge price difference? And is anyone using the Amazon version without any issues? I don't plan on getting too deep on the diagnostics with it but I would like to look at clutch parameters, check F1 pump duty cycles and maybe bleed the F1 system on my '07 F430. Thanks!

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There have been several threads on this, not sure it was ever confirmed that it has that capability..

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Launch is a company who hacks Leonardo software. You can purchase a single model Leo called the Galilio for approx $5K. Contact Nick at Nick Forza Ferrari.

4. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys. I've spent three hours combing through the threads across all of the forum sections and picked up on a few things but never really found anything pertaining to the differences in the models that are $1K difference in price. I've heard of the Leonardo hack as well. It amazes me that this company Launch would be able to broadly advertise and sell worldwide (and for some time now) their system using hacked software without fear of legal repercussions. Of course I'm no attorney and don't know any of the ins-and outs of the international patent world. But if they can do it and sell units for a fraction of the cost of a Leonardo, more power to them. I don't know if I would rely on one of these systems for a serious problem nor would I want to even attempt to diagnose and act on a serious issue with one of these (making parameter changes, etc). Even I know my limitations and when to go to the experts. But it would be nice to have one these for reference use and even be able to use it on several other vehicles. Also serves as a good learning experience and maybe shed some light on how these cars are set up. Thanks again guys!

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    For what it sounds like like you will use for .it will serve you well ..

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    There currently is legal proceedings against launch and it's distributors over the software. Where it stands or what happens, I don't know. But launch is already changing the software, no tool ships with software, it's downloaded from their servers. I would not use a luanch tool on a Ferrari, do so at your own risk.

7. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Did you ever purchase a Launch Tech ?