Buying 2010 458- Info on DCT Issues / Any Symptoms | FerrariChat

Buying 2010 458- Info on DCT Issues / Any Symptoms

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tarek307, Nov 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Hello all, i'm considering buying a 2010 458 with 28K Miles, i am reading and searching and see that a few have had issues & i'm actually seeing that people with even 2013 2014 had same issues. From my research i see that otherwise they are very reliable cars. I like driven higher mileage cars because usually they've been through their growing pains (if maintained correctly of course) Being a Porsche guy 28K miles is actually NOTHING lol, can't believe i'm calling it high miles)

Many will say get 2012+ those are out of my budget, and i've seen threads where they also failed.

-Yes i know i need to get a PPI but i'm not to that point yet.

So here are my questions:

1- How serious is this DCT issue? is it as bad as the 355/360/430 cracked headers? (my 360 Modena manual in for that now BTW) Doesn't this issue usually occur earlier in cars life? at 28K miles should i feel more confident?

2-Are there any known symptoms to watch out for when test driving the car? any certain paces to put it through to really test out the transmission?

3- How do i know if DCT was replaced before? The PO doesn't have records unfortunately from owners before him, but he says he was told by dealer he bought from (not a ferrari factory dealer) that the Trans was replaced on the car (however i don't see any proof, not on carfax, no where..i do see it was serviced by one of the owners at Ferrari San Fran maybe i could call them and ask?)

4-Any other known issues you guys think i should check out? *i'm using search but many threads are pretty old*

I am a 3 pedal manual guy, and have had my modena for a year 10K miles put on so far and love it and the analog feeling, no issues till now (need new headers/cats) so not even sure if the 458 will be as visceral as my manual Modena..we shall see.

Thanks

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Tarek, good morning.

Here are my humble 2 cents:

First, you’re absolutely right: potencial DCT failures are not in any way exclusive to pre-2012 458s, not even to exclusive to 458s, not even exclusive to V8 Ferraris. I’ve seen Californias, post 2012 458s, FFs and even one F12 with the same problems.

1) The chronic problems you described with respect to the 355/360/F430 platforms are a question of WHEN, not IF. The DCT problems some owners and models have encountered are, in a nutshell and in my very humble experience, an IF, not a WHEN.

In fact, most polls here and elsewhere show exactly the opposite: the vast majority of owners haven’t had any issues regarding the DCT transmission whatsoever, regardless of mileage or year of manufacture. But failures can and do occur, in any model/brand of car, due to a variety of variables: maintenance, use of the car, luck, etc.

It’s human nature I guess: if out of 200 458s, 1 has a problem, then the whole focus becomes the failure of that one car, not the sturdiness and reliability of the other 199.

Should you buy a 458 from a reputed independent or an official dealer, with maintenance history from day one and conduct a thorough and professional PPI, my guess is you’ll be 99.9% safe, the remaining 0.01% being purely academic.

Modern Ferraris, namely in comparison with the F430 and older, are more powerful and complex, but also more reliable and easy to maintain.

2) Not to my knowledge, because as mentioned before, it’s not a chronic, common and widespread occurrence . Nevertheless, jerkiness is never a good sign, except in low speed, city, bumper to bumper traffic, in which it’s pratically unavoidable and not a defect, just the nature of the beast.

3) The way I am as an owner, who has bought and sell his fair share of Ferraris, it’s simple: papers, or it didn’t happen. Full, bulletproof maintenance history or I walk away, period. Simply because there is no shortage of careful owners who documented everything, or properly sorted cars that never needed transmission repairs (the very vast majority!).

I’d recommend checking for the car’s history at an official dealer through the car’s VIN. If you were buying the car from an official dealer, I wouldn’t be worried, as they’d put all the paperwork from their system forward and vouch for the car. Once you aren’t, I’d go the extra mile to be cautious.

4) I’d humbly recommend checking the state of the carbon ceramic brakes. Designed to last a lifetime, they are expensive to replace and you might need to, if;

a) Car has been tracked heavily (wear and heat being the enemies of durability and longevity)

b) Someone sprayed chemicals to clean the tyres or rims, namely when brakes were still reasonably hot, thus contaminating the surface, which will result in less stopping power, vibrations and ultra fast brake pad wear.

Off the top of my head, that’s it.

With respect to the “engageness” and thrills the 458 has to offer you, namely compared to a 360, I will let you be the judge of that after a couple of days :cool:

Hope I’ve managed to address your concerns. I’m sure more knowledgeable feedback than mine will come shortly from other members. Feel free to ask away, as we’ll be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Tarek307 and Need4Spd like this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I agree with Nuno. The potential for DCT failure is there with any car equipped with one. Most common failure if that happens is sensor failure. Early on, Getrag would not allow repairs, so it was a $30k replacement.

But now it’s still a costly repair, but to swap out an internal sensor is more like $10k. So just put some money aside and if it ever happens, you can cover it. Most wont fail, so you’re likely to be ahead with the savings.

The brake rotors can only be checked by removing and weighing them. They have a minimum weight stamped into them. The reason for this is that carbon ceramic rotors often don’t show any wear like iron rotors. Instead, they go away by the carbon vaporizing, but look fine. In normal driving, this happens so slowly that the rotors can go 100k miles before needing replacement. Tracking the car, depending on the track, can involve so much heavy braking that the elevated temperatures will vaporize the rotors much more quickly. 458s may not show signs of track use if they are detailed carefully (they are very robust!), so you have to weigh the rotors when doing a PPI. Make sure the PPI you get includes that service and get the tech to write down the weights for you.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

GSF355, Tarek307, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Two more but perhaps limited issues : door air bags going off after going over a severe bump in the road and brake failures. While brake failures are rare it nevertheless has been reported by a few people here. In one case with deadly consequences according to the 458 owner in a thread in the 458 section.

5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    #5 Tarek307, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Aren't you the bearer of good news lol ;)

Well guys, i bought her, drove it and its a great car, dug up some records and was recently at the dealer and went through inspection there and few minor things fixed that it needed, deal was good so had to make a move on the spot, i'll live with it and my 360 manual for a couple of months and see if i'd rather keep this one and sell the 360 or if i'll sell this one. I've had the 360 a year and still not tired of it..we shall see what transpires, but i certainly can't keep both...although they would be perfect stable mates

Pics or it didn't happen

Attached Files:

6. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s wonderful news! Enjoy in good health. Wish you many miles of happiness behind the wheel!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Forgot to mention you’ve bought a pre-2012 458, which means lots of backfire on deceleration, which in turn means tons of fun.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

xfrgtr and Tarek307 like this.
  8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Yes Nuno, she sounded great, definitely some nice little crackles, not as raspy as my Modena with challenge exhaust, but still loved the sound. I can't even sleep rite now as i'm picking it up in the a:m.

MalibuGuy and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Good luck with the 458/360 decision! I still have my gated 360 spider and have no intention of selling it!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Tarek307 likes this.
  10. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton

11. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Nice to read a sensible and well thought out reply to the op.

Tarek307 likes this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Congrats on the car. You can always call Ferrari of SF or wherever and ask for service. They can usually check the VIN#. In my experience, they are usually pretty helpful as far as what has been done and/or any records, etc.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, both the engine and gearbox are serialized aren't they? I know the engine is. You might be able to research what serial # gearbox was original to the car? Just an idea. There might also be some indication in the software, as I think the ECU keeps track of time in each gear as well as the wear on both clutches. If a new gearbox was installed at some point, I would think there would have to have been some indication of it in the car's history. If it was done via a dealer, I think they would have to not only reset things in the software but also log a record of it.

Ray

Tarek307 likes this.