Ferrari ROMA | Page 59 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    With this picture I hope to stop the (silly) discussion whether the Ferrari Roma looks like an Jaguar or an Aston Martin or somewhat else.
    I´ve found this picture on www.reddit.com. Don´t you think the iconic Ferrari 250 GTO looks like a Shelby Daytona Coupé...?
    Please let´s talk about other things...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

isot, Ekki F and G. Pepper like this.
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In the example you gave the bodies of the two cars are in fact very similar and there is a reason for that.
    Both cars were made to compete against each other in the GT class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The 250 GTO had aerodynamic forms developed in a wind tunnel and could reach speeds in excess of 180 mph, On the other hand the AC Cobra was pushing only around 150 mph due to significant drag. At least one source mentions that when the Shelby was developed the car designers didn’t have access to a wind tunnel and therefore they inspired themselves on the 250 GTO body lines that they knew had been perfected by aerodynamic research.
    However, the important historical fact is that the Shelby beat the 250 GTO at Le Mans.

IloveGT, italiafan, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  3. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Let's face it :
    1) Does la ROMA look exactly like if it was an updated version of Aston Martin DB11/DBS, the simple answer is (YES).
    2) Is that a serious design problem, the simple answer is (NO)
    3) Is it "la ROMA" a good looking car?, the simple answer is (YES)

IloveGT likes this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We have a Politics&Religion subforum to contain such topics and keep our car forums free of politics. The standard response to political commentary outside of that area is deletion of the post and a short ban.

4th_gear is well aware of this policy, but ignored it. Furthermore, I recently cleaned up this thread to move a whole political conversation, of which 4th_gear was a central participant, to the P&R subforum with a gentle warning to keep such conversation out of this thread. Clearly, a gentle nudge was ineffective and so I reverted to the standard response when the offense was repeated. 4th_gear will be readmitted tomorrow.

I trust this clarifies the moderation position.

All the best,
    Andrew.

greg328 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Awesome comparison. I really like the Roma, the design team did a great job. :cool:

All the best,
    Andrew.

ingegnere, MDEL and Bundy like this.
  6. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Since the Roma shares a similar platform and characteristics with the Portofino doesn't seem logical a future Roma spider version.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I Agree Mario, it wouldn't make much sense, unless they removed the Portofino from catalogue, then it would make a lot of sense!

Caphill, perrinnation and MDEL like this.
  9. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    IMO...this is most likely the logical evolution of the product line.
    Drop the Porto and introduce a Roma Spider.

Caphill and Astrid.Didier like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    What this shows is how the devil is in the details - specifically, how much better balanced the design of the GTO is and therefore how much better looking it is. Which is basically what a lot of people here have been saying regarding how much better the Roma looks despite sharing similar attributes with Astons, Jags and such.

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Except for maybe carrying over the Roma's front end and taillight details, the Portofino IS the convertible version - designed to accommodate the roof with its tall rear end.

Unless Ferrari deem it acceptable to their client base to have a fabric convertible top, the Portofino is your convertible Roma in my opinion.

italiafan, MDEL and G. Pepper like this.
  12. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I really hope they do something about that tall rear end in the next iteration. It makes the Portofino look so boring in real life. It's the only Ferrari that l have not liked after seeing it in person.

13. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I think it makes all the sense in the world. The Portofino was a beauty...until the Roma appeared. Now it looks almost dated in comparison.

A Roma Spider would be an elegant, classy masterpiece and a proper companion to the Roma.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The more i see it, the more i like it, the only thing that bothers me a little is the center console tablet, it looks too thick and not very well integrated, but of course i could have a diferent opinion watching it in person, but overall i feel it's the perfect GT. I would wish however if they had used a solution similar to the new porsche 911, that kept an analogic RPM amongst the digital display...i'm not sold on this new "tablet" everywhere mania.

R J, MDEL and Astrid.Didier like this.
  15. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Only a matter of time before Ferrari unleashes the convertible version. It's an issue of “When” Not “If”! ..

perrinnation likes this.
  16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    whats your source?
    (and why are you bolding the font in your post?)

17. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The center console tablet looks a bit weird, I agree.
    The source!! why do you even think there is a source!. You think I'v a source inside Ferrari for what I write!! ;), the short answer is NO

So, It's only a matter of time before Ferrari unleashes the convertible version. It's an issue of “When” Not “If”! .. Same goes to the SF90. It's logic, it's obvious!, as the new strategy of Ferrari " and the * ONLY source is me + me + only me! ;) "

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I don't like it.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dear "Astrid", thank you for your comment.

I wasn't trying to be political for the sake of politics. Unfortunately, the way carmakers like Ferrari design their cars, including the Roma, is greatly affected by contentious regulations. If I had only discussed those issues on the Politics forum, their ramifications on car design and future Ferrari models would be lost, as most readers do not follow politics on FChat.

It isn't realistic to be honestly interested in automotive fascination, while pretending regulations are not the single biggest threat to its survival.

BTW, my name is Michael.

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1471 4th_gear, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    If the PF inherited its engine from the CaliT, and the Roma from the PF. Then their engines are all wet-sump, as reported by TOPGEAR. Here's clear evidence. Shown below is the 488 GTB's dry sump engine:

And here is the CaliT's wet sump engine. The CaliT V8 has an oil pan under the crankshaft. It is wet sump. The oil pan is essential the same as the oil pan in the original Cali. The crankshaft picks up its oil from the pan. The oil does not come from a separate oil tank, as is in normal dry sump designs like in the 488 GTB.

I believe Ferrari used wet sump for the FMR Cali/CaliT/PF/Roma for very valid reasons:

- easier and safer for daily driver use as there is less need to warm up and make sure the oil has made its way from the tank before driving off in a cold start situation

- it is easier to access a wet sump engine for maintenance because the oil pan means the engine sits higher

- notice where the oil tank of the 488 GTB engine is located. It cannot be placed in front of the FMR layout's engine because it would take up too much room - the car would end up with a very long nose.

- If placed behind the FMR engine it would have to go behind the passenger compartment and there's no room there for that​

IMO, a FMR layout like the Roma does not allow for a practical dry sump arrangement so the Roma's engine is most likely wet sump.

This assumes the Roma uses the same engine as the CaliT.

elmadi and Astrid.Didier like this.
  21. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It's my duty Michael ;) By the way my name is not Astrid, but I'v to use that nick-name because I want to keep a very low profile while I'm on internet in general. Welcome back.

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The following screenshot is taken from the "The Engineer" article you quoted. Notice the photo of the "Portofino engine" used in the article. It appears to have an oil pan.

Here's the same photo that I am now comparing to a photo of the CaliT's engine.

Notice the clear presence of an oil pan in the latter, where it corresponds to the same features in the photo showing Portofino engine. The other mechanical features, aside from very minor differences are also in the same places. The Portofino engine does look like the CaliT engine and thus would almost certainly also be wet sump.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks, glad to be back. BTW, I did read your earlier post about "Star" so I get the meaning behin "Astrid". ;)

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    BTW, while the F140 Tipo V12 of the 599/F12/812 are indeed dry sump those cars are all longer and wider than the Cali. Their oil tanks are mounted on the passenger side, at the rear of their engine bays.

The V12s are a completely different platform, generally bigger and heavier than the FMR V8 Cali...Roma. If their big V12 engines were wet sump, it would have really compromised their performance because the V12 engines are much heavier so when forced to sit higher by a wet sump oil pan, they would have seriously raised the CoG of the car.

Bundy and Times like this.