Looking for 348 / 355 ABS Teves Pump | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Looking for 348 / 355 ABS Teves Pump

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Just to be clear this bracket I am making is an addition bracket, it is exactly what I had pictured in one of my previous posts. Essentially a bracket that bolts in place of the factory location that allows you to use your same factory pump bracket to bolt to it. You will use your same hardware to mount to the chassis and I will provide the hardware to mount your factory bracket to the new mount. Just want to make that clear so there is no confusion.
    I can look into what cad plating will cost, that would be a very nice finish to match everything.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Rubberized black looks more factory chassis. I vote for that, but all of it will be under the front liner so it will rarely be seen. So it does not matter which finish.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Is it OK to have the accumulator mounted horizontally, as it appears in the picture above?

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not arguing trying to understand is all. Isn't the accumulator just pressure? Looks to be the same angle roughly as the jag, maybe a but flatter in the jag but its definitely not vertical.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Most of the systems that use an accumulator like this are not mounted vertical, and inside is basically just a rubber bladder that gets expanded. Laying it over more should not affect anything. That being said the photo is a bit misleading, its not totally sideways, and the new brackets I am making are going to stand it up a bit more than my photo shows. It doesn't need to be as far over to clear the closeout panel.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would shim it to stand up as far as possible anyhow so it makes sense to make it as vertical as possible just for "good measure". :)

7. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If the cad plating would drive the cost up I am fine with the black coating too.

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    cadmium if possible

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    coatings in small batches are VERY expensive..... I plan on powdercoating, there is always something to powdercoat anyhow. I suggest powdercoat then people can take it and do what they want from there. Even powercoataing will cost $30 per unit.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    ...Well, all I know is the horizontal mounting is not recommended by accumulator manufactures.

11. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Still vertical though. :)

13. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think the Accumulator being vertical is related to piston type Accumulator with seals that can dry, they want the valve at the bottom, not upside down so its not vertical per say its the valve at the bottom. I think.... I am not an expert here but if that's accurate the Teves set up is just a gas bulb, its a different type. Not sure if it his is correct or not, just guessing.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Qavion likes this.
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Qavion likes this.
  17. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Update on the Kits

After endless research and hunting I have found an ACDelco part that should work for the pressure line. I am really excited about these because it will be a warranted off the shelf part and if there should ever be a problem can go straight to ACDelco direct.

Banjo bolts are sourced and on their way

I have sourced the reservoir feed line. This was also very difficult as the line can not be a general purpose fuel hose like all auto parts stores carry, it has to be rated to withstand the DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluid. I will be supplying a barbed hose connector fitting as well because the hose is almost impossible to get to under the reservoir, so the connector can be pushed into the existing hose and use the supplied hose and cut to fit the new length without removing the entire master cylinder unit. This is what I did on mine.

And finally the most exciting part all the brackets will be getting yellow zinc plated to match the factory bracket.

Again thanks to everyone who already purchased, and for your patients while I get these put together for you.

18. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sounds great.
    Photos. We want photos :):);)

19. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    05elise, jeffdavison and Qavion like this.
  20. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Since we have some people with particular knowledge in this thread, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the procedure for flushing/bleeding the brakes/abs with the Teves system.

I did it once a few years ago but don’t remember the steps exactly.

Something about pumping the pedal with the ignition off until it got rock hard. Then turning on the power and the pump runs building the pressure.

Then stepping on the pedal and opening the caliper bleeder and the fluid comes out at high pressure.

Something like that

I used this method to flush/clear out some clogged lines/bleeders.

Anyone know the actual procedure ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

It's very simple if you don't get carried away with pressure/vacuum bleeders. Just turn on the ignition and let the ABS pump come up to pressure. Then pump up the braless, hold the pedal down and bleed each wheel as you would normally. Front brake fluid will be under pedal pressure. Rears will be under high pressure from the ABS system, so be careful on the rears as you crack the bleed valves. Fronts can be bleed with a pressure or vacuum bleeder, but rears need key on, pedal depressed.

And of course, make sure to keep the reservoir full.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Freudian slip or autocorrect? :D

23. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    #98 Badabing!, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Doing a little research and recognizing that accumulator bulb it appears my Porsche 993TT has a similar if not the same hydraulic boosted abs system as do all AWD 993 and any 2WD 993 with the ABD option.

New pumps are still available from Porsche but prices have skyrocketed over the last few years to approx $4K new.

Also, someone on the Porsche board successfully used a new jaguar pump motor as a donor to rebuild his pump motor.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1134959-c4-abs-booster-pump-unobtainable-rebuild-2.html#post15979911

Finally new jag pump motors available here for $229

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-89-90-91-92-93-94-95-JAGUAR-XJ6-XJ12-XJS-ABS-Brake-Pump-unit-Booster-Motor/223369554763?_trkparms=aid=777001&algo=DISCO.FEED&ao=1&asc=20180911133149&meid=5614ad8c12a949bcbf56c6abdde2b59a&pid=101002&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=223369554763&_trksid=p2481888.c101002.m4497&_trkparms=pageci:d1bd50d0-7bdb-11e9-abc8-74dbd1803f11|parentrq:daf9cf4a16a0ac1d3bce7808ffe67dae|iid:3

24. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    That being said, what is the procedure to flush the fluid through the abs pump to avoid this issue. Is it the same as what is posted above?

Is the Ferrari scan tool required to activate the abs?

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That connector on the pump completely foreign. It is also made offshore with questionable quality. The motor is not usually the issue it's the pump itself. The 348 does not have a scan tool it's not obd car.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app