Ferrari ROMA | Page 58 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #1426 randkin, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    I kind of hate to hear all these new models as it would seem that Ferrari is going down scale? When MB did this the brand got devalued IMO. Also while I got good service on my MB vehicles I have to wonder if Ferrari will be able to continue to have good service. That said if they do try to go down scale they will certainly have to do something about the service costs.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You do have a point about the Roma's bodywork. The Cali, through to the PF have seen incremental increases in body length and with the Roma, taken a bit of a jump. I'm sure part of this has to do with the sleeker, more elegant form. The platform probably has some height restrictions so to make the car appear sleeker, more length would certainly help. But none of these cars are "big".

The 812 does have a 2" longer wheelbase though, so that and the 375 lb addition weight would otherwise be palpable if it weren't for the 812's huge front tires and rear-wheel steering.

The other dimension, which I don't know, would be the front and rear track widths. If they mimic the bodywork widths then perhaps the added girth is worthwhile from a dynamic handling point of view.

3. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    The engine is the most important component of a motorcar. It is what makes the difference :)

Solid State and randkin like this.
  4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    So your point about the different engine permitting smaller and lighter cars for Ferrari doesn’t work since Ferrari isn’t making smaller or (perceptively) lighter cars.

it’s about regulations, and that’s it.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Took the 360 out for my usual drive across town to my favorite liquor store and cigar shop. Stopped by the convenience store by my house for a couple of MegaMillions tickets on the way home, and my car guy bud who owns the store - a Pakistani dude - couldn't stop talking about the Roma. How beautiful it is, how affordable, and the fact that you could use it as a DD without worrying about putting miles on a rare car. I told him to wait a couple of years and get one with low miles that's Certified Preowned and let someone else take the first depreciation hit... because that's what I plan to do. :)

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree. It's just that our roads and speed limits don't change to account for this silliness and we've past the point where such bragging actually benefits the driver.

The same thing happens when I track. It is annoying if you have to drive 3-4 hours to get to the track before your track session starts at 0800 only to find the gas pumps with the good stuff doesn't open till 1000.

FWIW, I don't really worry about the costs but having to go looking for a proper gas station more often than I want is very annoying. My other car is also one of the lowest road cars you will find and even with a lifter, it is advisable to know where all the acceptable gas stations with the "right gas" are located on your routes. With that car, I prefer to only gas up at familiar gas stations.

Well everyone's entitled to enjoy their cars however they prefer but I prefer F1-style courses, places that resemble The Ring or idyllic country roads with beautiful scenery as opposed to sharing dirty congested public highways with unpredictable drivers, other cars that may not be in proper condition.

The other major issue I have with highways is potential windshield damage.

The windshield on my other car is very special at only 1mm thick and it is a royal pain to have someone kick up a small pebble hit you at 300 kph. It's always better to NOT to drive behind anyone, especially at high speeds.

I think carmakers do a pretty good job at coming up with nice-looking bodywork for FMR, RMR or RR so I haven't noticed much personal preference, looks-wise. My point about engine layout was regarding passenger and storage space. I also have a RMR and there's almost no storage space at all inside the car. My FMR Cali is completely different and you feel the car works with you when you take it on a long drive, where you do need to bring extra stuff along, within easy reach.

That is true from the "engineering" perspective but that doesn't mean you will enjoy driving the car or that the engine will actually work well with the chassis. Everything has to be balanced.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, a small V12 does weigh less than a bigger V12 if you compare against cars like the 812. It's an immediate weight saving. A smaller V12 with a dry sump will work better than the Roma's wet sump twin turbo V8 that I believe they brought over from the PF. The car will also handle better due to these changes.

With the new "modular" Ferrari platform, it may be (I'm guessing) possible to more easily alter the bodywork size of the cars. I don't think regulations affect that but I can see where Ferrari may feel a Ferrari with a small V12 may overlap too much with premium cars like the 812. However, I think Ferrari may have more and more technology latitude to play with to keep a sizable gap between V12 models.

IMO, it's more of a marketing issue than technical or regulatory ones.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I like to think of those as suggestions... lol

I hear you, but it seems that over there you have issues we don't encounter over here.

May I ask what that car is?

For sure, but a great chassis with a mediocre engine is not that enjoyable, whereas a great engine with a mediocre chassis can be fun.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Roma/Portofino has a dry sump.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ...but probably not in Switzerland. :D

...second largest country in the world.

675LT Spider

I had one like that and I can heartily agree. It's just that there are some limits to this...[/QUOTE]

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Other than chocolate and watches, why would anyone want to live there? lol

Our Canadian brothers! :)

That is one serious kit.

Of course. I tend to enjoy an overpowered (where the engine can overwhelm the chassis) car more than an underpowered one though.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks, apparently I got wrong information from this TOPGEAR review of the Portofino. It's very specific so I'm left wondering why the discrepancy because the author appears aware the F154 is usually dry sump:

"...The engine is a reworked wet-sump iteration of Ferrari’s award-winning 3.9-litre twin turbo V8, good for 591bhp in the Portofino and more significantly 561 torques from 3,000 to 5,250rpm..."

But a small 9000 rpm V12 would still be much better than a twin turbo V8 in so many ways. They may have to make the car a bit lighter and clever enough to pass the smog regulations.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Journos...

Any high revving, N/A engine would be better, but I don't think that it is going to happen...

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think that's Euro pricing. I believe the US MSRP is 26o or there about.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  15. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    No, it's the price for the US market, It will be priced at 200,000 euro in Italy and £180k for the UK.

*These numbers seem quite accurate.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
  17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    @4th_gear has been banned for the rest of the weekend for continuing to post political nonsense after the previous cleanup. Offending post deleted.

Please do not discuss politics in this thread.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Lol^^^
    4th gear and Zeus are having the most productive conversation of anyone on this thread and now one is banned. Gotta love it!! Feel free to ban me for the weekend too. Got a tee time tomorrow and plenty of football to watch so I can sit this one out for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Though I don't know exactly what is going on, and which offending post that was all about, and who @4th_gear is, and what he/she has done exactly, I think the whole issue can be discussed in "private chat" between you and him/her: Mr Moderator. I'm sure he/she would listen to you. WHY NOT?

And I think Mr or Mrs 4th_gear is a grown man/woman and respectable man/woman like all gentlemen/gentlewomen here, and you can both agree to not discuss politics here, I admit I hate politics exactly like you, but banning someone for that reason!!! I'm sorry I can't understand it. Regards

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Must be my influence, people tend to get banned from the places i hang around, better go back to the aussie section, they are a bit more complient there...

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    During the presentation of the Ferrari Roma Claudio Manzoni said "As you can see, there are no specific elements that are quoting the elements of the Ferrari GTs of the past. There are some reminiscences, maybe, but the formal language is absolutely modern," On Ferrari’s official site the Roma is described as having a distinctive flair and style and being a contemporary representation of the carefree, pleasurable way of life that characterized Rome in the 1950s and 60s.

The 250 GT Lusso and the more sporty 250 GT SWB are both pieces of automobile art that genuinely represent the Dolce Vita of the 50's and 60's. Since the Roma intends to be a contemporary representation of those Ferraris that were icons of the belle époque period, I wonder if anyone is able to discover in the new car design some reminiscences of the two classics.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi, R J, stavura and 4 others like this.
  22. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    The man of the Ferrari Centro Stile is called FLAVIO Manzoni, sorry!
    Flavio Manzoni wants to make cars for the present and not for the past.

23. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    With the possible exception of Tesla’s new Cybertruck, all modern cars are somewhat derivative of those that came before it. How could they possibly not be? All that matters is that, in my opinion, Roma is beautiful and modern with certain features such as the front fenders and rear haunches which for me evoke a classic vibe reminiscent of not only the models you’ve displayed but others of that era. To be honest I would have preferred more of a traditional egg crate front grille but otherwise it’s a home run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

randkin, Caeruleus11 and G. Pepper like this.
  24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for your correction I thought Flavio and wrote Claudio.
    Despite having been made for the present Ferrari says the Roma is the contemporary representation of the past. We know that's marketing to associate the clean lines of the Roma to a great way of life that will never come back and also emphasize the more civilized characteristics of this car to a new segment of potential customers. According with Ferrari research they are people who have never bought a Ferrari before because they are afraid they are too sporty and difficult to drive.

Caeruleus11 and day355 like this.