Cali T CEL battery light | FerrariChat

Cali T CEL battery light

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by James cln, Nov 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Well my 2015 Cali T has a red battery cel - also says Alternator failure . Check w obd and no faults ! Checked out battery ( new 4 mos old ) Interstate same gel cell as OEM tan fine for 4mos and now checks out fine . alternator , starter - everything checks fine. Car runs fine battery stays charged . Not sure what could be problem - instrument cluster? Help - thanks , james in San Antonio Texas

2. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Also did a hard reset - no help wahhh !

3. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Also did a hard reset - no help wahhh !
    Great news! After driving it for a couple of hours and letting it idle at the car wash - it actually healed itself - what a fine car !!! Ha! Now will keep it on charge in its home at all times :)))

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hold on. So you take it through an automated carwash?

AD211 likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow, service guys always suggest "drive it a while & see if the light goes away". This may be the first time I've heard that working!

Congrats! Definitely keep it on the tender when not being driven...T

6. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Only a touch less - not a weed whacker :)

7. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    And you actually let water touch your car ?!?!

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Only special Reverse Osmosis water from an artisan spring sent in from Italy :))

tomc likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. I accidentally drove my Cali through a puddle this afternoon. I may need some of your special water to wipe her down after I'm done praying to the Ferrari gods for forgiveness!
    T

BLAMPEE likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm far from the guy you need to ask about water on a Ferrari. The more the better, all year round. I'm of the opinion that Ferrari in part should pay more attention to the clients who get offered halo models, based on mileage as well as involvement with the marque.

I'm simply saying that the Porto is not a good candidate for a carwash. Soft paint and water can get where it does not need to be, due to all the openings. Never mind the fact that you don't know if the detergents are safe for the CCM rotors. A bit of silicone on those in a wax or sealant, and they are pretty much shot. Like the local Ferrari shop tech here says. "They can drive over the Alps in a blizzard, and you can cross your local field with them if you so desire. But Ferrari never intended for you to run them through a dishwasher".

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nobody think you should. It's more a question of taking care of the car. Most owners around my neck of the woods, put winter tyres on their Ferraris and put more than 15000 km on each year. I'm probably as much against cruising your garage queen around or the notion of not wanting to park it, as much as one can be. I don't like driving a 250 GTE in the rain much. But that's mostly because the doors don't seal properly once you get above 80 km h....
    I don't care about that, all I'm saying is that there's no reason to do things that might damage the car when it can be avoided. Taking the car though a carwash is running a risk, and it is fairly cheap to get it washed by hand all things considered. I've seen my share of modern Ferraris with rust issues, because some models are prone to trap water under panels when pressure washed etc. If you think the boot lid of an F12 can get a bit sloshy after a normal wash or rainstorm, you should see how much water it can hold after a proper pressure washing. I also like the Cali T or 599 "Fish bowl headlights". There are valid reasons why high pressure car washes is not a great idea, just like the weed whackers have their cons.

To each their own. Just a bit of advice.

tomc likes this.
  12. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Wahhh , still have CeL - alternator failure but car runs great ! Alternator putting out voltage properly, new oem battery tests fine . Dealer just says alternator needs to be pulled- 8 hrs . Alternator is charging FINE !! Driving putting out 13-14 volts . Must have to do w dash sensor that shows fault ?? Don’t know what to do .

13. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would trickle charge the battery till its up to max then reset cell and see what happens! (Unless under warranty)

14. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks Mr Viper - already did but to no avail . Battery is fine also did a draw done test on it - super strong - alternator couldn’t work better- :-((

15. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

samingcc likes this.
  16. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Best to keep that out of your Classified ad if you ever decide to sell....

MINUS $5,000, MISC WATER
    :p

17. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hey I thought this thread was about my CEL problem ??

18. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

19. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    at idle Cali is showing 14.7 V on hi way 13- 13.5 . Still have CEL . Another shop is telling me that’s too high and Ignition ECU is bad telling alternator to put out more voltage than it should. My big question is : Is the voltage what it should be and could the instrument panel have a problem that is turning light on falsely ?? Can anyone help ?? Thanks in advance

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Is the shop telling you 13-13.5 is too high? Nonsense. Don't have a Cali, but the Lusso, 488 and Pista shows around 14 volts on the go.
    Is that a certified Ferrari tech telling you that or is it an independent shop?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Yep you are right . I think their concern though might have been 14.7 at start up, although running it quickly goes down - I am pretty convinced the instrument panel is causing the problem giving a false alarm . Been fighting this for over a year - frustrating. Some want to trace every wire thinking one is broken or not making contact at $200 an hour. Seems like their Leonardo or dealer’s computer could tell us something about where problem lies . Oh Well maybe I should just get some black tape. Ha ! Thanks