People still need to be taught this I guess | FerrariChat

People still need to be taught this I guess

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rifledriver, Nov 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    BOKE, raysur, 2NA and 9 others like this.
  2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Are you talking about marks at the other extremity of the camshafts ? Because the ones on the pictures are not very close.

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I said the back. And also there there were only three. Those in the pictures are at the front and there is quite clearly four of them, the ones some people seem to feel are accurate timing marks..

windsock likes this.
  4. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    OK, thanks.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Cam four must have been finished on Friday afternoon, so no scribe/chisel mark. Those assembly marks are not too close on the front, but there are lots of Ferraris out there running poorly because someone used them for cam timing.

The scribe lines on the rear of the cams on my 575M were very close after degreeing the cams, but the circle was way too small for accurate timing. Plus you had to use a mirror to see them since they were scribed before the engine was installed. Great check, though, just to give you a warm and fuzzy.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Many of the cars had something on the back of one or more cams like a distributor drive or rotor adapter, in this case a stroke sensor and that prevented marking them.

2 more reasons not to use the rear marks as gospel truth. One was the guys building motors were in a hurry and motors didn't get timed 100%. Also the marks the assemblers put on were for their use so if the motor failed some test it could be taken apart, fixed and cams put back to the correct tooth on the belt eliminating the need to retime the thing. They are however good enough for a reality check when you are done. All of us get our head up and locked once in a while. These exhaust marks are off far enough I did it twice to be sure I hadn't done something dumb.

windsock likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Maybe not a Friday Ferrari, after all. Sorry, Tony.

8. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Verify valve timing via degree wheel and dial indicator. Do it properly once, then routine maintenance of belt changes should be easy from there ever after. Power to be had by timing it properly aswell as extended header life.

zygomatic likes this.
  9. Leonardo Mangiolino

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Mangiolino
    I believe they are called witness marks

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I find it amazing that the factory marks (assembly marks, witness marks, index marks, what ever you want to call them) are so random. It would take about 1/2 hour do design a jig such that the cams could be marked accurately. Given knowledge of the cam lobe geometry, the correct lash, and what the lift should be with said lash at TDC, there is only one angular position which will achieve that. After that, the changes in timing can only arise from wear of difference due to belt length tolerances, the latter amounting to about 1 degree variation max.

11. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Do you think the inaccuracy of the marks be noticeable in the driving performance?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some of the motors are very sensitive, some are not.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

There are many things they could do better and more accurately but just do not care to. Valve covers and front covers are good examples. They are machined as a unit with the head and block so are not interchangeable or available separately. It would be very easy to index them in the machine and make them all cookie cutter the same but they just cannot be bothered. The Japanese can make a motorcycle engine case half with all its gasket and seal surfaces perfect matches and all the bearing and shaft locations align perfectly so they are interchangeable. But a valve cover??? Ferrari is just lazy and cannot be bothered.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm aware of those things. Might have made sense in 1947. Since the introduction of CNC machining, inexcusable.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The answer is yes. This just happened.

A member on Fchat took his 456 to a well known but non-Ferrari specific shop for some exhaust work. While it was there, the shop found that the left bank cat converter was glowing red. They tried everything from FPR, plugs, wires, vacuum leaks, and checking the cam timing by inspecting that all marks lined up. The declared that timing was fine and they narrowed it down to a plugged cat converter or a bad ECU. Either was going to cost big.

My friend told me about their diagnosis and I told him to take it out of the shop because I knew what the cause was and I will get it fixed for him. The friend tried to take it out of the shop, and the shop said the car is disassembled on the rack and they would fix it if "your mechanic can tell us what is wrong with the car."

Since he is a good friend, I told them that the cause was one of the bank cam timing was off. They found it, fixed the issue with a proper redo of the cam timing using a degree wheel.

Sheesh, this is from a professional mechanic.

taz355 and thorn like this.
  17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I own a concourse level 550 maranello that I got cheap because the previous owner a former Fchat'er. Having Past records are a joke because the past adds no value while highlighting malpractice. Two different big name Pro shops in my area replaced cats twice never understanding cats are a symptom not a cause. Finally a Cat fire scared the previous owner into saying uncle. He now drives Porsches and I own my second perfect 550. Proper Cam timing is a wonderful thing.

albkid, thorn and zygomatic like this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I had a client with a 575 6 spd. He bought it solely because of the transmission. Got it to California and would not pass smog. Brought it to me with all the records. Car got a major from a NE Ferrari dealer. Shortly after severe cat overheat and diagnosed by same place as a bad cat. Cats got replaced and same thing. Not sure of details but looked like owner gave up and sold it. I had to replace cats again (BIG$$$ on a 575) fixed the cam timing, lots of melted wiring etc. All was well again. It was just routine on TR's when they were new.

zygomatic likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Especially when Fiat owns a big machine tool co. and Ferrari has a lot of pretty high end stuff.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Mitchell is a real credit to the Ferrari community. I've been grateful he's lives near me and often cracks some hard cases. That said, I have no umbrage toward the shop I took it took either. They have always been courteous, honest, and forthright.

It reminds me of the story we 've all heard.
    Refrigerator breaks, call in a mechanic - he hits the fridge, and it starts working again. He presents a bill for $100; the owner says - I could have done that. The mechanic says
    Hammer: $10
    Knowing where to hit them with a hammer: $90

I learned a lot of cam timing. Specifically, those marks are "assembly marks" for general guidance; the wheel is a must.

21. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Brian, from the photos it looks like you use Redline Assembly lube during a service. Is this what you use?

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes. As I am sure you are aware but for others here its important to use something designed for the purpose. I know some just use whatever clean grease they have around but many greases are incapable of being washed through an oil filter and can restrict flow if enough of it is being used, say in the building of a complete motor.

thorn, raysur, brian.s and 1 other person like this.
  23. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for posting this. Great info since I am timing my motor soon.