Gas Pump Problem | FerrariChat

Gas Pump Problem

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Eric360, Nov 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Do you guys ever have gas pump problems?? I have a new to me, 2012 FF. And I'm in California. Every other time I try to fill it, the gas pump won't even start pumping. No matter how I try to move it around, different angles, up down, etc. the pump won't engage at all. I will drive to another station and try and try and try. Eventually if I drive around for a few miles or maybe let it sit for a bit, I will be able to fill it. It's very frustrating! Once the pump is going, it's not problem, it will fill all the way. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet, but I will soon. Any other solutions???

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Ferrari boned up the interoperability of gassing up the car in California.

The problem is there is a micro switch in the nozzle boot that senses the nozzle is loaded into the inlet. It is supposed to compress the switch to close it. Should the handle fall off the micro switch cuts off the gas flow.

In our case the switch is never enabled by the inlet so fuel cannot start.

Easiest solution is to compress the switch manually by hand which is what I do mostly. It is difficult to hold it but the bottom of the inlet boot cover is where the switch is and you just need to press toward the handle on the bottom of the boot cover.

There is another solution that uses a washer to insert over the nozzle stem so it compresses against the boot as the nozzle is inserted into the gas inlet. Only danger is leaving it on the nozzle when you finish and the potential for dropping it against the car when the handle is extracted. And you lose it or damage the paint.

Or try as much as you can to find and always use pumps that always work..

Don’t know if later years improved the inlet piece to work better but if so then you can have the dealer replace the part.

SV

bZone8 likes this.
  3. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
  4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It’s not a seal type issue. It is only about engaging the flow cutoff micro switch.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks guys! I will try your remedies....

6. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Just saw this thread. Having issues filling up.

I’m reading your description and can’t quite visualize. Can you take some pictures regarding compressing the switch manually by hand?

Much appreciated. Love the car, but did not expect this. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Cali....WTF ?

8. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I bought the grommet mentioned above and the problem was solved. I suggest that for everyone with this issue.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I've been reading about this for years. Other than the spacer, others have flipped the pump nozzle handle to facing up instead of down and no problems. Seems to mostly occur in California. It happened to me once at a station in the East coast and I remembered to flip the nozzle around so handle facing up and it worked. Only happened once though but the OP seems to indicate he tried up/down already.

10. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    +1. Grommet worked like a charm. Like a donut you put on top of the gas tank opening. Only thing is that you need to put it on and off when you fill up, but it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. sftradercoder

sftradercoder Rookie

Nov 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John Sarikurt
    First time I tried to put gas in my FF and could not do it! I try to search a quick answer for the issue but no available answer at the moment. I was lucky gas station is couple blocks away so I was able to drive home! That thing made me feel stupid, lol! Now I know the trick in California gas stations :) Thanks a ton guys!

12. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Also, could it be a clogged carbon canister?

13. jay910

jay910 Rookie

Mar 4, 2010
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Alan
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ferrari didn't bone anything up. They made a system that worst well for the rest of the world. The state of California is the one who screwed up by mandating this idiotic system to be used. They wanted something more "safe" and eco friendly, but instead they ended up with a system that's a right faf where people needs add-ons or have to use the nozzle incorrectly. I wonder how much more petrol peole spill on their hands or on the ground due to this nanny lunacy. Political stupidity at its finest. You can't blame Ferrari for this one.

Praecox and robshanahan like this.
  15. kk201358

kk201358 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2021
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kelvin
    Yes, same 2012 FF, also located Cali.

So embracing, i went to different gas station and finally got it at Chevron, but i need to use my another to hold the little rubber ring on the gas gun for the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app