The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I like to use BMW's as an example. For whatever reason middle class peeps *think* that a BMW 328i is a "luxury car". I see plenty of peeps that go from a Corolla or Nissan when they get that promotion or suddenly decide to "live a little".. and they buy a 3-series Bimmer. I don't get it, but I see it all the time. They don't care that every other driveway has one in it on the block, but they have the 3-series.

This kind of mass-status symbol just confuses me beyond words. For it to be a "status symbol", you have to have it.. while everyone else doesn't. Yet, for the prius and corolla driving class a BMW from I've seen and interviewed seems to be the step up. That millions have in their driveway. Maybe it's like a pendant that many wear indicating they're middle management now and not a grunt.. I don't know.

Now most of the peeps that I've met, don't know the difference between a c-class and a 3-series beyond one is a BMW and the other a Mercedes. They don't know cars and can't tell you what the different models of Porsches are. They're not car people. But, if you give them some money they're going to buy "the next model up" whatever that might be, which might include what the guy a work has. As long as it has a little more luxury than the econobox they're currently driving.

I suspect if you have someone who is shopping a C8 and a 488 and a Huracan.. they're not going to be able to tell you the differences between them besides one being a Lamborghini and the other a Chevy. They're not going to be car people if they're co-shopping with giving equal weight to a $180,000 used Ferrari or Lambo or a $90,000 new Chevy. Usually the buyer of a Ferrari knows exactly what they want and they buy it from what I've seen. The buyer who isn't as specific might consider both, but TBH I don't see much crossover. Perhaps a C8 or an R8 might be in the mix. At C+C when one of the many owners tells you about how they "almost bought a 430 instead of their C8 but decided not to" you'll know the truth. They likely don't even know where the emergency door release is located. ;)

brookliner7 likes this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Well was looking for my dream 458 for few yrs but that stopped the day c8 was released. I cannot imagine I am the only one feeling that way

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    458 is better looking and has the better motor but doesn't work as well for me as c8 would. this car will be used daily weather permitting to about 5k mi/yr and do about 5 track days/yr too. the risk of 458 not handling abuse coupled with twice price makes a c8 lease too hard to ignore. and I did not feel that way about c7 even with z06 and zr1 models. just didn't want fe vette but me changes the game for me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    For me the Corvettes have always caused me a back problem after about 20 a minute drive. So doubtful I will get a C8 but I sure would consider getting one so I could DD it and NOT be worried about where I park it and not have to park in the remote area of the parking lot. It seems it would be more of a disposal vehicle than my other cars. But I can’t think I would cross shop a Corvette with Ferrari, MB AMG or Porsche.

MalcQV likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I wonder if c8 will be at the LA autoshow next week?

6. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Based on the development and engineering teams comments the C8 with the Magnetic Shocks rides better then many sedans. Its supposed to be a serious leap forward. I had to re-read those comments a few times to believe it. They found a ground breaking tune in development. Its supposed to be quite comfortable.

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    No matter what the facts are... there will be people who will not drive a “lessor” car ... no matter how good the performance or value.

perhaps gm should charge $500k and these folks would have interest?

Apollo 11 likes this.
  8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hmmmmm,I will have to hear some good reviews on the ride to get me interested in a test drive. One of my friends has one on order as he always gets the latest version of the Vette but I think he wants a convertible so it may be a while before he takes delivery.

9. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Maybe we could move the Corvette love-fest into a more general forum?

None of the recent posts have anything to do with the title of the thread. If not simply fawning over the Corvette, then the posts seem to be comparing it to one of the newer Ferraris. None of this belongs here.

Kevin

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would think the ride would be nice. Even a C5 with magnaride is fairly plush in touring mode.

11. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    folks on Ferrarichat should not put down GM products reliability.
    pot / kettle. glass houses / stones.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  13. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I was not questioning the Corvette's reliability. I have had many vets. All reliable. Mercedes was making the comment that the C8 is reliable without owning a C8. This is a totally retooled vet and the "reliability will not be known until it is mass-produced and earns the reliability banner.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Some very good points here. Naturally this is only the American (domestic) market. Outside of the US (and certainly within Europe) the Corvette will have very little impact on European mid-engine supercars.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The c8 is being built and marketed as a global supercar. Left and right hand drive. Get out your sterling for a c8!

flat_plane_eddie and G. Pepper like this.
  16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It'll cost way more than £60k (let alone $60k) here and probably more like (£90k+).

I like it, and probably as much as my 360 but I wouldn't pay more for it.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Malc—- I got ya! Yanks get to play w super cars for small$$$

and cheap fuel... and we still complain.

MalcQV likes this.
  18. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Nope, base model costs $60K and its Really well equipped with no practical performance handicap compared to other trims.

19. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wait a minute. You already know exactly what it will cost in Manchester, UK????

Kevin

20. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    No I don't know. I thought you were talking about the US. Reports are UK prices will be the same but who knows if dealers decide to price gouge.

MalcQV likes this.
  21. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S

Are you a current Ferrari owner? I don’t believe current or past Ferrari owners would feel that way... a corvette will never be a Ferrari. And I am a corvette fan and have had a few of them. Nice car but can not compare

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Previous owner. I felt same way until c8. I need to see drive it but cannot imagine I would go back to 458. Hoping c8 will be at la auto show this weekend to see it.

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    You do but I think we get cheaper servicing. It is definitely cheaper to own a Ferrari here than the US. In fact I am certain in the US I could not afford to own one.

In the US. At the very best US cars here are sold for the same number but in £'s. That was when the £ was strong.

Speculation and what I have read. The first line in this link - Circa £80,000

https://www.clivesutton.co.uk/the-2020-corvette-stingray-c8/

Time will tell

Indeed, but historically they seem to.
    Ford Mustang V8 GT US - $35,095 approx?
    Ford Mustang V8 GT UK - £43,050

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So discussing the Corvette in a thread with C8 in the title and leading photo is unacceptable?

Is someone forcing you to read this? If so tell them to stop.

25. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So you feel that a Ferrari 360/430 forum is an appropriate place to have a generic Corvette C8 discussion?
    Why not start a thread here on the new Supra as well. No one would force me to read that either.
    We can completely bastardize this forum, then.

Oh. But its not mid engine......

Kevin