458 - Pads for CCM rotors | FerrariChat

458 Pads for CCM rotors

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Corradosv, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Dear all,

any recommendation for pads to be used with OEM CCM rotors, that do have more initial bite and more friction in road riving?
    I am not interested in tracking the car, nor daily driving the car, so wear is not a big concern to me, just I am not happy about the bite and friction in light road use (possibly cold brakes); is there anything better than OEM pads for that?
    Apart, of course, steel conversion, which I am aware of.

Thanks all.

2. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    You could try Pagid RSC1 pads

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From experience, those are the opposite of what the OP asks for on the 458. They are better than OE on track, but needs a bit more heat to properly bite. I believe you have had similar experiences on the 488 yes?

It might be an idea to contact Pagid and ask about the RSC3. Alternatively, upgrade to the 488 rotors and pads. They should fit, and have better overall performance than the 458 setup.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh one other thing. When was your brake fluid last checked?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    RSC3 are more geared towards tracking and will require more heat to provide better bite/friction... they’d be overkill for a purely street driven car.

RSC1 are good for daily use or spirited street driving based on personal experience and feedback from others.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Dear both,
    thanks for your advice, it looks like Pagid is the way to go, maybe I can ask them once time is due (not yet, but I'd like to be prepared).

I can't really say, but the car has been serviced in September, I would assume they checked it. But I don't think it can really make a difference in my situation (cold braking system); it is for sure a matter of friction/bite. Of course there is the chance of glazing, and I think I felt a bit of an improvement after making something close to the recommended bedding-in procedure, but, if any difference at all, I can say that things came back quickly to same problem...
    Sure CCM brakes give their best at high temperatures, but like may others have said on FChat, there are examples of other manufacturers that do better in regular road driving.
    When I test-drove the 488 myself I felt the brakes are actually better in this; I don't know if that is due to better materials or just same stuff on bigger diameter, but switching to the 488 system is out of my budget (even if only rotors were involved, and I am not sure about it).

7. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have rsc1. Doesnt feel better than OEM cold. Does when heated up. Note when installing pagid, they are a tiny bit smaller OEM like 2mm. You can see they also fit corvette (reason for a tiny bit smaller). So depending on your brake shoe tolerance when heated up it might make an annoying click sound when you brake or release brake. I could be completely wrong, dont quote me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    OEM pads should have plenty of cold bite. If they don’t, either they need to be bedded properly or the rotors have been contaminated, most likely with a silicon tire dressing spray.

I recently replaced my rear pads due to wear with OEM pads (thickness of the pad material was less than the thickness of the backing plate; on such expensive rotors, I didn’t want to push them further, and such worn pads could be a liability if I tracked them in that condition), and cold bite was and remains fine. I will use OEM when the fronts need replacing.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I replaced my front pads with Brembo.
    You can get a better price thru RicambiAmerica.

10. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Thanks for all your inputs.
    I honestly don't think I have bedding-in or contamination problems... just I personally believe these brakes are disappointing in regular driving. I can't comment on track use, as I don't track this car, I would assume they have a very good performance in that situation, if you can afford the pads.
    I can say approaching an hairpin on a spirited drive on mountain roads is pretty scary sometimes.
    My opinion, of course, but this is my 2nd 458 and it's exactly the same as the one before: way worse than my utility car in normal conditions.
    I don't doubt and fully respect someone may like these brakes in everyday driving, but not me, hence my starting question.
    And, again, I appreciate any of your feedbacks, and your time.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I appreciate that you’ve driven more than one 458 but detailing Ferraris is very common and most detailers are not careful to avoid using silicone-based sprays near the rotors. Unless you bought your car new, always detail the car yourself, and are certain the dealer didn’t contaminate the rotors, how can you be certain the rotors are not contaminated? It only takes once, especially if the brakes are warm. My 458 stops well and without needing much pedal pressure. But no one details my wheels or tires except me. If you use any kind of wheel or tire dressing, spray it on an applicator and apply by hand, and do not spray directly on the wheels or tires.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This happened to me. The result? 4 new carbon ceramic rotors at the official dealer. Yes, ouch. Lesson learned. The upside? I have new brakes and their stopping power is nothing short of awesome.

Having experienced it first hand, Need4Spd’s advice is spot on.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Thanks for your advice, for sure I'll never make this mistake; to answer your question: I can't be certain, because both my cars were 2nd hand.
    That said, allow me to say that I find unlikely that detailing sprays can penetrate the rotors so deep that their effect doesn't go after thousands of km's, and I was so unlucky to find 2 contaminated samples, but of course I will take care. One easy part for me is that I don't detail the tires' sidewalls, as I don't like the shiny tires.
    I would be curious to test a car from some of our friends who are happy about their brakes, and having them driving mine, so to understand. After realizing that there are people very happy about the "twitchy" throttle, it might just be a case of personal tastes and expectations. Sure my dad's Yaris brakes bite more and demand a lesser force than all the Ferrari CCM's that I tried (3 in my life, and the 488 was a bit better than the 458's); this is just evidence.

14. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Stopping power on CCM’s when cold is really scary, it’s is like if pads were done of wooden.

There should be a beep until they reach operational temperature.. that on street use is never actually.

15. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    That!