For Sale - 1989 Black Mondial t Coupe - Hemmings Auctions | FerrariChat

For Sale 1989 Black Mondial t Coupe - Hemmings Auctions

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by akorna, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I decided to take advantage of Hemmings new auction platform and list my 37k mile 1989 black Mondial t coupe. The auction format is similar to BaT. It looks like it will go live in 16 days. Here's the link in case you want to check it out: https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1989-ferrari-mondial

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Beautiful car.

Yours has the SR upgraded fusebox, yes? Nice feature.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can we ask what your reserve is?

Matt

4. Ciao55

Ciao55 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel D
    Nice car. The coupe looks much better than the ragtop.

5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Best color for the coupe imho.

Glwa

6. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    Very pretty. I find it hard to bid on auctions for cars like the Mondial because owners have such different concepts of value. Clues as to what the owner is thinking would help me decide whether or not to do my diligence in advance of a bid.

7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Why the 16 day wait to go live?
    Are they attempting to gather bidders in advance?
    Create some buzz?

8. Ciao55

Ciao55 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel D
    If it had the deep red interior.....

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    I would have happily paid the price asked by Legendary in 2016. Wonder what figure the seller has in mind for 2019.

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, a dealer in ATL has a very similar car listed around $75k. Looks very nice. But it has been there for some time. So that suggests that the market is safely below that number.

If you want it, do your due diligence. Worst that can happen is the price is outside your comfort zone and you can take a pass. But the Owner is a member here, so plenty of info should be available here to help your due diligence.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 1 of 43, these don't come up for sale very often.

Regards,
    Jerry

Wade likes this.
  12. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    ive been watching the mondial coupe for a while but havent seen too many in person. tom yang says its a great car to campaign on rallye's (that dont have an age restriction) and thats what im thinking about. plus i need the 2+2 for my young child. just wondering if a 348TB is a better all around car or not, if anyone's driven both.

13. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    I have a white/tan euro spec 1990 Mondial T Coupe. It is an amazing car...underrated. Unique. Drives great!! I paid far too much a few years ago because the car was in near new condition with approx 20k miles. In the range where this car could sell I don’t think you can go wrong. $75 may be too high with the miles but 40-60 sounds more than reasonable. 1 of 43. Who can say you paid to much? I think it’s a smart buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    I have driven Both and I think if you need the rear seats the Mondial T is a fantastic option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    I realize Bring a Trailer isn't the only place the market is made but I have bid on Mondial Ts there and watch them closely, nicest one that sold w very similar miles and service went 45k. One with more interesting colors but higher miles went 34k. I realize dealers get more and its worth what someone pays but this kind of defines where I see the market...

16. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm sorry that I've not been keeping up with the posts - The auction is live and got a $5,000 bid. r-mm - I am an automobile appraiser (www.akornautomotive.com) and agree with you on the current market assessment in the $45k range, but my reserve is less than that. There is another black one on the market at dealership as a consignment listed at $75k, which is ridiculous. BaT would have probably been a better sales channel for this car, but I really wanted to try Hemmings as the new kid on the block.

17. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes, I bought that car and most of the work I performed on the car cannot be seen. It really needed considerably more sorting than Legendary led me to believe. I almost wrote them a letter with a laundry list of what was missed in their "mechanics' inspection," but never followed through.

Wade likes this.
  18. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    It'll be interesting to see how the car does on the Hemmings auction. Personally, I'm finding the Hemmings auction format extremely distracting and hard to get a good read on the car. BaT is much cleaner. Regardless, good luck with the auction - I hope that it does really well for you.

2cam

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I've owned a Mondial 8, a 3.2 Coupe, a 348 ts and currently have a 348 tb. I looked long and hard at the t Coupes and tried to buy one several times but the market timing wasn't in my favor. I did drive and PPI a black/grey t Coupe several years ago.

While I absolutely love my tb, the t Coupe is essentially a 2+2 348, which I prefer. The t Coupe is my favorite V8 Ferrari, other than the 288GTO and F-40.

Best to find a good one, unless you're a competent DYIer.

gsfent and leeber like this.
  20. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bid is at $28k for my T at the moment. Auction closes at 6:00 PM tomorrow if you are interested.

21. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    SOLD at $38,000.

ryalex likes this.
  22. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Were you happy, neutral, or upset with that result?

23. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I would say neutral at this point. I removed the reserve since it was close. I had expected $40 to $42k based on my research, but it's always a toss of the dice with an auction format. Thanks for asking!

24. Crossworth

Crossworth Rookie

Jun 10, 2012
    #24 Crossworth, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Just curious if the market is going up on Mondials 3.2 coupes.

I am looking since my kids can now ride without boosters.

I always wanted an FCar in a pocket size budget. My two dream Fcars are F40 and a Maranello...like I said dream cars.

I do wrench on cars for the last 40+ years.
    I have rebuilt 4cylinder to 8 cylinders and a few 911s that never blew after a rebuild,
    even when using nitrous. And this was at time were the internet did not exist and forum like this non existent.

I am hoping, with support from FChat I may be able to maintain a Mondial requiring a major, even an engine out. It helps to have. I have at home.

I have worked-on air cooled 911s.
    I thought I would spice up my life with a Mondial 3.2 coupe before I am too old wrench. It would satisfy my bucket list as well.

Any advice from the pros if the Mondial market is headed up or down would be greatly appreciated.

25. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Market seems to be pretty stagnant. You should be able to get a decent 3.2 coupe in the low 30’s it just may take you some time to find one. They are great cars I would venture to guess that going forward sooner or later their values are going to climb and from this point forward I would be very surprised to see their values go down.