Keith Martin’s 308GT4 is For Sale on BAT | FerrariChat

Keith Martin’s 308GT4 is For Sale on BAT

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jack-the-lad, Nov 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No affiliation, of course. I’m just posting this as a matter of interest.

Unusual color (nocciola) and 220,000 miles!

www.bringatrailer.com

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

220K miles.........is the car free?

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    220K is getting on up there

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I love the color

5. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    Is that a Fram oil filter?

6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Sounds like the car has been well driven. In my book that says it is in better condition than most garage queens. Reminds me of a guy who came all the way out from the east coast to buy a 225,000 mi Porsche 996, a '99 model for I think $9000. All original miles, never had the engine touched...ran great and drove it home. The guy wanted to blow up the engine so he could drop a Chevy in it...so he drag raced it, dyno'd it, tracked it, everything he could to abuse the motor. He finally got his wish, but everyone who followed his story was amazed at how strong the engine was. And, if I'm correct, when the engine finally failed, it wasn't the IMS bearing. What's Keith's price? Seems like a great driver, and at the right price a great entry into one of the classic and important Ferraris.

7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I agree. The lore of this car has been around for a while. Here is a great article on the previous owner and his experience. https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/127/articles/the-long-haul#.Uaj0bOtvBtQ

I hope the new owner uses it just as much.

Looks like it sold for $52K. not bad for "high mileage driver" in this market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-ferrari-308-gt4-15/

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    a one million miles car that has been fully restored, it's no more million miles car: it's a like new one!

ciao

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    ...who is Keith Martin?

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Publisher of Sports Car Market magazine,

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ah. Never read it.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Not missing anything worthwhile.

13. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    He's also the co-host on "What's my Worth" on MotorTrend. Usually a fair amount of Ferrari content.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Seriously?

It's in my top 4.

pdxjim488 likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, we all have preferences how to spend our money and time.
    I receive or have received various (vintage) automotive related print magazines over the past 3-4 decades, most are/were gift subscriptions from friends or clients, some even from the publishers themselves, but I don’t have much time or interest reading many, so most end up in my “library” unread/unwrapped. After leafing through few issues and articles of (gifted) SMC years ago, I asked my friend not to renew that (gift) subscription and once I detailed my reasons, he decided to drop his own he’s had for years.

16. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006

Beg to differ. Lots of good articles by folks who know collector cars quite well. Lots of good arguments, too. If you like FC, you will probably like SCM.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Forget the GT4, a 25K miles 2012 Audi V10 for $55K??
    "Mom's car?" really??

We put that ,many miles on one at COTA last weekend and finished THIRD!!
    Damn that's a lot of car, right there.

I'm sure it makes a Ferrari look cheap come maintenance time, but huge respect for that drivetrain!!!

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

Keith made a lot of Ferrari owners angry in the '90s....if you took his advice you missed some great cars, and great deals.

19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I haven’t read it for a while but Miles Collier’s column and the insurance and legal information are worthwhile.

As for the GT4, it was refreshing to see a high mileage car sell well. Keith had a stroke some time ago and he’s been selling certain cars that are more difficult for him to drive, until his recovery and rehabilitation are farther along.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'd like to clarify that my earlier comments weren’t directed at Mr. Martin.
    They merely reflect my opinion/views on “journalism” and more specifically, “market reporting” these types of publications represent.
    Some contributors even managed to completely contradict themselves (more than once) almost from one article or issue to next, which says something about the editors also, but hey, of course you have to write up something (anything) to fill tight spaces between marketing/sponsor ads.
    And people wonder why print media is dying ?

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I have never had to keep closing a "page" that will not stop itself from reappearing over my article in a printed magazine. I have never turned the page in a magazine and had to wait for a commercial to stop playing before reading that page. I have never had to buy a subscription or enter my personal information to finish reading a story in printed form.

Sorry, man, but there is no logic in any criticism of print media ads vs online media. None. Zero.

(And I won't even touch the horror of editors and contradictions that for some reason are only found in printed form because we all know the only place to find truth and consistency of opinion is online...)

If you like reading your phone better than a book or magazine, that is your business, but nothing you have pointed out is unique to printed media. In fact it is stunning that you think it is.

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I apologize if my earlier comments somehow suggested preference to one media format over another.
    Other than few daily moments on 2-3 forums dedicated to one of my interests, vintage automobiles, I don’t follow or spend time on “social media” or other online activities.
    Heck, I haven’t watched programmed TV (news, shows, etc) for nearly 3 decades.
    Current affairs, trends, etc don’t interest me enough to afford wasting(?) any considerable time on them.

I do know people and have a friends in all capacities in every type media, on two continents and most of them are fully aware (& respect ?) my views.
    Heck, some of them even approached me nearly 20 years ago regarding a at-the-time novel concept of making a TV shows about my work and based on what I’ve heard about them, I still don’t regret my refusal.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I will be my parents forever. I am as low tech as I can get. No smart watch for me - I like my 1979 Chronosport Sea Quartz 30. My phone is still a S7

And I enjoy books and magazines that I can hold, read, keep, and put on a shelf later.

But that is just me.

Jack-the-lad, thorn and TTR like this.