575 F1 Clutch replacement DIY ? | FerrariChat

575 F1 Clutch replacement DIY ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by plip, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi

my 575 had developed since abt 1 year a bearing noise clearly audible from inside the car (and with Tubi). Not sure if it is from the Clutch or the Pilot or the Shaft bearing. Am not feeling at ease to drive the car in this condition since have seen on other motors the result of an exploded ball bearing. The car is now on winter sleep and giving that:

1) My mech tells me that the clutch is good for another couple of thousands KM. Total km on the car 44600.
    2) Am been having problem with 5th gear when driving in spirited sport mode in that the car does not want to engage the 6th. The beep goes on and the gearbox sign blinks. Need to slow down and drive quietly for a while , downshift and try to gear up until all get back to normal again. It does not happen in normal mode even if driven and shifted at high revs.

am seriously considering the possibility of changing the clutch and the bearings.

Has any of you tackled the clutch by themselves ? Any specific diagnostic program needed to set the clutch zero point and/or bleeding the clutch since there is no pedal to push ? any other hint/suggestion ?

Many Tks

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Computer needed before and after. I routinely replace pretty new clutches that have been replaced with the method you describe.

BOKE likes this.
  3. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Tks Brian. So SD2 needed. Let me understand better, you routinely replace new clutches which have been changed on DIY basis and obviously not properly done?

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And by poorly equipped and under educated shops.

5. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Many Tks. All clear.

6. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    I considered it until I read through the complete process and looked under the car at all the stuff you need to move and watched a video of a shop doing it and so I took it to a great shop near SF. I then went up and talked to the ex Patrick Otis mechanic working on my car about the process. Let a good shop do it!

BOKE and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I did it on my 550 when the theow out bearing seized just after I bought the car. It had been sitting several years and I believe the bearing had rust and then the heat makes it only worse. When it is damaged, it is very hard to get the transmission in and out of the gears and it makes the car very difficult to move and handle. The work is easier on a 550 because there is no electronics to take care of. But the exhaust must come down and the catalyzers are quite a nightmare to take out and back it. The sport catalyzers are easier because they are smaller and access is therefor easier. Everyone say it is a 30 houre job and I agree more or less. Let someone do it properly and spend the time it would take you to make some money instead. It is much better.

BOKE likes this.
  8. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Tks Erik. Am by no mean scared by the time needed nor by the amount of stuff to be removed and re-fitted. Am fully equipped (Car Lift, Trans Hydraulic Jacks etc). Simply cannot find explanation on what need to be done with the SD2 prior and after the clutch replacement. Have just completed an engine out job on my 87 TR (cambelt, tensioner bearing, injectors,water pump, valve settings, cam timing etc etc) and after what have found am anything but positively surprised by the job done by the qualilfied Ferrari technician which did it last time.

F456M likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Doesn't the wsm provide that .. just curious

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sounds like you chose the wrong place for the TR. And in fact he wasn't qualified.

Qualification isn't defined by his place of employment or some meaningless paper on the wall. Quit using those as selection criteria.

plip and BOKE like this.
  11. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    @flash32 : nope or at least have not seen that. The only ref to theSD2 is that is needed for bleeding the system. Suppose the setting for the other parameters (PIS, TCU etc) are described in the SD2 manual ?
    @Rifledriver : absolutely correct Brian he wasn't. Normally would do the major by myself but last time had family issues and had to give it elsewhere. No worries there will be no risk for the future.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

In general Ferrari manuals are for specifications for those that know how to fix the cars. 575 manual was one of the very worst ever produced. They tried, very badly to tell you how to fix the car and got much of the rest either wrong or left out completely. None of the manuals really say much about using the computer interfaces (SD1, SD2,SD3 etc) to perform the various functions. For most of that we were self taught. No books, no schools. You were either smart and knew how the cars worked and got it or you weren't. A Ferrari manual in the hands of someone without significant product knowledge is like a monkey watching an instructional video on Youtube.

BOKE and F456M like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

SD2 manual tells you how to connect it to a computer and load software. Not one word on use.