Movie - Ford vs. Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Movie - Ford vs. Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Saw it today. Good movie, but it dragged along in parts. Some stuff just didn't need to be in there. I had thoughts of Matt Damon playing Carroll Shelby, but he did a great job. Christian Bale was really good also as Myles.

The race scenes were awsome. I now want a GT40 more then I ever did..

Definatly some errors for the historians, but over all an entertaining movie.

2. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm going Tuesday night. Going to see it in IMAX!!!!!!

You can get the GT40's and Cobras from the supplier to the film: https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great Movie..
    I saw alot of Kirkhams in hangar scene..
    The P4's looked very Kit in some scenes.
    Iococca was cast very well also HFord2..
    Bale will win academy award..
    overall suprisingly good movie!

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Leo Bebe was totally painted wrong - he was the real driver behind it all.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Just saw it tonight -lots wrong in the movie -it was good not great . Bale did a great job

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just saw it in Imax...I have always loved the GT40, but seeing it on the big screen with Imax audio took it to a whole new level.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    #57 SamuliS, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    I did not like it. Great movie if you dont know anything about cars or history of Ford vs. Ferrari. Hollywood took a potentially great story and turned it mediocre Fast and Furious soap. As a car lover who came to see car movie I wanted to walk out after first minute of Shelby "driving" in Le Mans. Only good moments had nothing to do with driving. I've yet to see racing in oval where you change gear while doing full speed to pass someone or race cars that pick up speed from 150 to 200 on same pace as Top Fuel dragsters. Great to see old race cars, specially Porsche's with modern German plates. And wasn't Ferrari sold to Fiat in 1969?
    And no, IMAX didn't help.
    Bale did great job, but I don't see how he could win academy award from Joaquin Phoenix as a Joker.

Lusso123 likes this.
  8. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    I went tonight with some friends. Left me pretty much unmoved and less respect for Ford than I had going in. Thats not a bad thing

9. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    It’s entertainment guys
    That’s it
    It’s not a documentary!!!
    This isn’t FRONTLINE!!!
    Be glad someone decided to make the movie

10. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #60 msdesignltd, Nov 17, 2019
    I saw Cobra daytona's in back scenes..in hangars and I think Le mans?
    remind me of the time frame that was the Cobra daytona...
    Shelby would have been involved with Daytona model at same time????
    or before or after or during this timeline?

also this is nice " Making Vid "

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    G. Pepper likes this.
  12. Mazzie1983

Mazzie1983 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Caleb Ross
    I saw the movie. Spoiler alert, Ford wins! But seriously spoiler alert.

Some of the articles reviewing it's accuracy are themselves inaccurate. Look at the Forbes article for the best analysis.

The good news is they got a lot of the overall story right, including the most important part which is Ken Miles and Shelbys contribution to racing. They seem to have gotten a lot of the Lemans part right too, including the brake rotor changes that took race officials by surprise. They also got right the catalyst for Ford starting the war with Ferrari, and some of the techniques used for developing the GT40. The roles played by Ford executives seem to be as close as you could get with what little information they had on their personalities from 1966. With one exception.

Parts that are suspect that I don't have a problem with: Lemans being won by both Miles's driving skill and Ferrari breaking down via a two lap sequence that probably didn't happen exactly the way it shows. It was probably shown this way to sum up what played out over 24hrs. Other parts that are suspect are Beebe's intentional sabatoge of Miles at every turn, however he may have really been a corporate ***** for all we know. What they do get right is Beebe calling for the PR stunt finish that costs Miles the win, but I think they correctly show Beebe didn't know it would have that effect. Was he so malicious in his treatment of Miles at a personal level? That may not be accurate.

Other suspect parts are the italian Ferrari teams villanous portrayal. They probably were in real life smug towards anything not European, but probably not as much of cartoon villains as the movie shows. Also, it shows Enzo giving orders to the race team throughout most of Lemans in person. He rarely attended the races in real life, and most of what he did in the movie at the race was probably false, but maybe based on rumors of what someone remembers seeing. A lot of historical movies rely on this because they simply didn't bother recording every detail back then. They thought no one would care about those details in the future.

Parts that are flat out false, the dramatic end to Daytona in 66. It wasn't dramatic at all in real life, Miles led the way the entire time for the most part and had no come from behind moment. Also, there was almost certainly no joyride with Ford the 2nd in a GT40 before daytona with Shelby betting the company. Also a lot of the racing has some out of place gear changing and throttle revving. It's for dramtic effect but still way off for everyone watching who knows how it should work.

It is worth seeing because it does accurately capture the struggles of its central figures, Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles. If you love Ferrari history however, you may leave extremely dissapointed.

13. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #63 msdesignltd, Nov 17, 2019
    Info/ datelines on Shelby

WOW look at the 32 minute mark

14. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the movie needed a foil...

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Probably more accurate and only 1 hr.

17. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

The bulk of the people going to see this movie have never been to Le Mans
    And were not even born when this went down
    I was 16 and followed this because I lived in Europe and it was a big deal
    And I was a car guy
    Gentlemen this was strictly entertainment at best
    There are books on what really went down get them and read them
    This is not a documentary movie

G. Pepper and steved033 like this.
  18. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    oh well i did not like it. i thought the dialogue was insufferable. like a hallmark tv movie. bale gives it his best shot but even he cant pull it off. 'son, can you see the perfect lap out there?' oh brother....
    was it filmed at lemans or daytona? lemans looked fake, daytona less so.
    thought the nikki lauda story, rush, was much more enjoyable.
    but my wife, who does not care for cars or racing thought it was pretty good.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  20. Mazzie1983

Mazzie1983 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Caleb Ross
    Surprisingly they went to great lengths to make Lemans exactly as it was, doing everything they could to make it period correct. Read about how far they went with the cars. I actually thought the set pieces and cars were good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-11-14/ford-v-ferrari-secrets-behind-the-stunning-cars-and-crashes

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Watched some youtube docus on it and admit cars and sets were pretty good after all. Not steve McQueen good but not bad. Sound was not good though. 427 v8 sounded more like turbine in movie. Also watched rush trailer and still think that has it every which way over this one. Ron Howard is just superior film maker

Lusso123 likes this.
  22. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    My Rolls-Royce mechanic Charlie Agapiou is portrayed in the movie. He was also an advisor on the film. Can’t wait to see it.

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It was good. As others have said, it’s a Hollywood movie, not a documentary.

But surely they could have found actors that looked more like Enzo and Ioacocca.

Matt

24. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I saw it Sunday and liked it. I know there were inaccuracies, but I maintain that (almost) any car movie is better than not having done a movie at all.

I thought the racing footage was pretty good. If you watch "The making of LeMans", they say that such a movie could never be shot again because they used something like 25 cameras mounted on real cars during a real race.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    This was posted in another Ford v Ferrari thread but here's a great interview with Shelby, that goes through much of his history building cars, racing etc.