My F8 drive! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My F8 drive!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jim g, Nov 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #26 Shadowfax, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    I can only tell you about 488 and Pista being an owner of both.

Insofar as offering advice on what to do, I would advise simple logic be applied in this instance especially if you are looking to extend yourself financially.

Considering that both 488 and F8 are essentially the same car, set up to provide for the same requirements and practicalities it becomes a matter of choice and determining which is the better buy.

Based upon the current user reviews here on Fchat it's a case where changes in performance have been difficult to establish without having a degree of seat time being spent in both, and desirably on a race circuit where the limits can be exploited.

The main changes appear to be physical powder puff type changes to the interior/exterior along with a minor bump in power, and an improved interior sound although somewhat overly refined.

I would suspect F8 is bound to see heavy depreciation into the future and, with other newer models coming out stealing the limelight, I personally wouldn't be pushing myself hard financially to get into one if i was unable to deal with the inevitable heavy losses.

488 OTOH has seen significant depreciation already so further falls will be very minimal now vs an F8 which you will pay a lot to get into and, lose a lot to get out of.

Keeping in mind they are both essentially the same car with performance differences reportedly difficult to gauge it becomes a tough call and one which should be based upon ones financial means.

I suspect there is truth in that F8 sounds marginally better or the inside than 488 yet sounds quieter on the outside. My head tech has also confirmed this. The sound is very disappointing with serious difficulties to fix it....if at all possible.

The only thing which appears for certain is that one can be bought for a fraction of its original price (488) and the other (F8) is going to cost a lot to get into and is bound to suffer similar depreciation levels as 488.

So if left to make a choice today as someone not owning an F car having limited financial means, I would see 488 as the bargain and overall better buy given the entry and exit costs and overall performance comparatives - looks also being subjective and, both look very good in their own way.

of2worlds and Astrid.Didier like this.
  2. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Thank you too much, you were very helpful, and thanks for your great post and your time, I would say it's the best advice I'v ever got from anyone. thanks again and again.

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #28 Shadowfax, Nov 15, 2019
    Not at all. My interest into acquiring an understanding of the real differences in performance between these two, without yet sampling the later version (F8), is no less than anyone here in the same position. That said I am able to evaluate what is being reported so far without allowing brand loyalty or emotions to blind my vision.

Zeuss please note I am not walking around looking like I'm 9 months pregnant to a belly full of the Ferrari cool-aid. :)

I like to call something for what it is regardless of whether I own it or not.

tekaefixe, Jo Sta7 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I might as well address the elephant in the room. You are a respected member and your car collection is amazing. Even though you have a point saying that the F8 won't be as exciting as the Pista (Ferrari themselves say so too), you somewhat lose the plot by saying that it is nothing more than a GTB. From what I 've read, the F8 is an evolution over the GTB, as much as the 430 was an evolution over the 360. Same platform, but substantially quicker and better to drive, that is. I haven't driven the F8, so I am not passing an absolute judgement over this, but your initial assertion that the F8 and the GTB are just about the same appears easily debunked.

Coincid likes this.
  5. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA

I think I was behind you yesterday afternoon on RT30 E by the Blue Route.
    When it first popped into view I thought it was a McLaren but then realized as I got closer, the round tail lights. Looked good from the back but especially good from the front as I passed by you in traffic.

Best of luck with it!

jim g likes this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ferrari limited the power delivered in lower gears on the 488 so what advantage does a 710HP Pista spec motor confer on the F8 without going to a race track? It seems the real difference comes from the body design and which styling direction you prefer? The sound is very subjective. Realistically the nuanced differences command a substantial cost premium for modest progress.
    Better to savour the audio experience of a 430 Scuderia if sound is so important. Though at the expense of other compromised driving characteristics. All illuminated cleverly by progress in tires, transmissions and computer wizardry a decade later. The real question is 'have sticky interior parts now been banished?'

Surfah, Astrid.Didier and Shadowfax like this.
  7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It seems to me you have a heavy bias AGAINST the F8 even though you have not driven it. I could agree with you that the it’s not a huge leap from the 488 to the F8 but that is pretty normal for a mid cycle refresh. It is a much bigger leap for 458 owners like myself. If you don’t own any Ferrari than the F8 is a great choice. If you own a 458 other than the sound the F8 is a great choice. If you own a 488 it might not be worth the financial hit to move up,

Art138 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Zeus it is a gtb just a slightly later version - along the same lines as say a 991.1 and a 991.2 is. The Pista is yet another version again, set up as more of a track focused car but at the end of the day they are all 488's, the two former (gtb and F8) being set up to deliver a driving experience closely related to one another.

Not sure exactly where I've "lost the plot" but if you say so then I'm OK with that.:)

of2worlds likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #34 REALZEUS, Nov 15, 2019
    The torque delivery through the rev range, not the ultimate power, which remains 720 CV in all gears at the revs that max power presents itself. Ferrari does that trick in all its turbocharged engines.

The F40 is a derivative of the 288 GTO, yet they feel and perform totally differently. That's why I said that you have lost the plot. That is what crinoid tries to explain to you all along. Two cars, having the same platform, don't necessarily drive the same!!!

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #35 Shadowfax, Nov 15, 2019
    Heavy Bias? Interesting comment. Not sure how you figure that as my assessment on the two is based purely upon your own and others reports. I genuinely don't have any bias toward either car other than to say they are both very good cars in their own rights as 488's. Granted the F8 is the later iteration due to the exterior and interior changes but its where the changes in performance are actually felt that is more the point for me and those familiar with the 488 - and whether some see the need to pay a whole lot more for those particular changes which appear to be felt mainly in a physical sense rather than any profound change to performance is a decision only each individual can decide.

In your shoes coming out of a 458 and with money seemingly not being an obstacle at either end of the equation (as in cost to get into one, and then cost to get out of it when that time comes) then F8 may present as the better option on today's scale. But that could change in a year from now after deliveries roll through and some put their F8's back on the market to pursue the next best thing and much cheaper examples then become available....as has what's happened with GTB.

In my shoes having owned 488 and now in Pista, if I didn't have Pista and was faced with making a decision whether to keep my 488 or change to F8, based upon the current user feedback -yours included - I would sit pat or maybe look to a 600lt or even a 720 as again based upon what you guys are reporting I can't see F8 providing me any more than what I currently have with my gtb other than a slightly different look which is subjective anyway. But that's just me ,and I don't expect anyone to follow my suit - they are free do do as they please.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    If I was in your shoes I would keep the Pista too. The Pista is out of my price range, but is an incredible car. I am not in the camp that the F8 is greater than Pista. The Pista is incredible, congrats!

Astrid.Didier and Shadowfax like this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Therein lies the problem. Please let me explain myself. A good friend of mine owned a 430 Coupe, a fantastic supercar back then, some 15 years ago! His city runabout was an Aygo. In all seriousness, I kid you not, he used to say that he couldn't discern the difference in steering feel between the Ferrari and the Toyota. That is all I have to say as "real users experience" goes...

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Ermm Ok..? ...if you say so.

And crinoid? Who is he and what was he trying to explain? I must have missed it.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not saying so, it is basic knowledge for anyone who can drive that the same platform does not equate to the same experience.

Sorry, I meant "coincid".

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks buddyg. I'm sure you will be very happy with your F8 and congratulations there as well! GTB was an awesome car - thoroughly enjoyed it - and I'm sure F8 is a further step in the right direction (other than perhaps that problem where they knocked out the outside sound). Hopefully someone will find a solution.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    These other cars you mention are before my time. I'm only relatively new to the Ferrari brand as you should know. Anyway... thanks for the lesson!

Oh coincid - right! Funny guy huh. He reminds me of a dog chasing his own tail at the moment. He has now in his Perf what he's looking for elsewhere. Having made his expectations so widely known I'm surprised he's taken the F8 route but then who am I to say? Anyway I wish him the best of luck - am sure he is a good guy at heart who shares the same interests and expectations of many of us here.

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The funny thing is to see how artificial drama is important for the perception - the Pista is actually a relatively limited evolution compared to the GTB (this combined to the high price point kept me away) , the F8 is therefore also a limited evolution... but it retains the real improvements of the Pista (engine and aerodynamics) while ditching the cosmetic showing off (OK I may have found less offensive words, some are probably more sensitive than I am ;) )
    So regarding value for money today: the 488 is the best, as is typically the used car; the Pista is the worst (that could be offset by speculative demand from people valuing claimed exclusivity), and the F8 is in-between.

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My insatiable thirst for something new perpetually instills my lust to explore purchasing the latest and hopefully greatest, regardless of my extreme satisfaction with my current ownership.

Hence, my interest in the F8 all the while being somewhat sceptical that it will prove to address all my priorities and preferences. I am enamoured by its physical beauty and the objective technical parameters of performance. Personal driving experience will solidify my ultimate decision.

REALZEUS and buddyg like this.
  19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    The dealer does not know when deliveries of the Spiders will start. I actually spec'd the car about 6 weeks ago, and they "guessed" it would be a year to delivery. There was no update as of yesterday. No F8 coupes had been delivered to customers in the US. I love my 488 Spider, so the wait will not drive me crazy. I won't trade-in the 488 Spider until the F8 Spider arrives.

The dealer configurator for the F8 Spider was up and running, but not in final form. My spec is still subject to change: I spec'd Grigio Ferro, nero interior with non-racing special seats (full electric) with yellow center stripe, yellow stitching and yellow accents throughout, LEDs on steering wheel, shields, forged wheels painted silver, lifter, and lots of carbon fiber interior and exterior.

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    sounds great. can't wait to see her.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #46 Shadowfax, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Value for money is obviously interpreted in different ways then?

My interpretation is what you wind up with when you sell a car that ultimately determines the value for money spent. After all you are talking about money.

Therefore, I figure if you spend more on a car which may not physically represent the same value as the cheaper car, and then when you sell the cheaper car you get nothing for it, it puts this particular exercise into the correct perspective, especially when the more expensive car returns a significantly superior outcome upon resale. So it then becomes a case where the cheaper car was not actually the good value it was first thought to be.:)

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The way you went on about the Roma , I am surprised you have asked this question , Hum …...

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  23. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    La ROMA is a beauty!

Udhav Goenka likes this.