Which general direction do you feel Ferrari should pursue (poll)? | FerrariChat

Which general direction do you feel Ferrari should pursue (poll)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

General direction for Ferrari?

1. Modern Vintage

48 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Latest Tech

28 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Complicated thought, but would like to try and get the "pulse" of this very dedicated Ferraristi community. After all, we own and love Ferrari's and our thoughts do matter; in fact, I suspect the Factory very much cares what this community feels is important. (Of course, doesn't mean they will implement. :))
    Now, please, let me preface by asking that you refrain from pointing our little inconsistencies and the endless caveats that most assuredly are important. The purpose of the poll is very simple, and I think the discussion may be fruitful, so let's please try and not get lost in the weeds. And please don't answer, "both" directions are important. I know I am creating a somewhat contrived black:white scenario...just pick based upon which side you "would have the knife fall." For the purposes of the poll please don't say both directions are mutually compatible with different model lines. Yes, we all know they are. But which general direction should Ferrari, the Factory, design and build their cars? They can't be developing one model line without putting that tech into the other at some point, so I don't believe they could sustain a "both" approach for long. They have to choose, and I think Ferrari has chosen...."latest tech."

These thoughts were stirred by the classically simple and beautiful Roma, a car without winglets and endless aero devices. Beautiful, vintage-like, elegant, and no doubt fast, however with touchscreens and hi-tech interior appointments, and probably lacking in sound.

Basically, as a broad directional goal:

Do you believe Ferrari should focus more on a MODERN VINTAGE direction? Cars that have that beautiful Italian exotic sense of style, classic instrument gauges, leather sights and smells, beautiful sounds, V8 and V12 engines. Maybe a little more raw, setting them apart from other luxury fast cars like AM, Porsche, Mercedes, and Bentley. More of an "experience" to drive, maybe even a little "challenging" to extract the car's nature. Some track time, but also drive with friends, lunch and dinners out. (Think leather clad F12tdf, Speciale, etc.) With regards to power, 400-700 HP is "more than adequate" for fun. It is about the overall experience than drag-races.

or

They should push to the "future" with LATEST TECH? In essence you feel Ferrari should "damn the torpedoes," their cars need to be the fastest no matter what. McLaren cannot be faster in a 1/4 mile drag-race, that is forbidden. They can have modern "aero solutions" galore, wings, winglets, ducts, holes, vents, etc. They can have all sorts of computer controls, especially if that equates to faster lap times, touchscreens, Apple CarPlay should be a highlight, any propulsion system will do: doesn't matter if turbos, hybrid or all electric. Space age fabrics are preferred. Car should be comfortable too, smooth, smooth-shifting, always under control with computer aids. The car should also be CO2 minimalist, environmentally friendly, quieter for Euro noise regulations, etc. Those regulations are not only required, but Ferrari should be fine pushing the bleeding edge with those concerns. Develop the fastest, best , most compliant car out there.

I'm.....Modern Vintage myself.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    16 views and only I clicked...come on guys, you don't have to post...but click the poll, takes no time at all...let's see the community's view on this.
    Thanks!

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You should have a third option: "I don't care since I cannot afford a new Ferrari."

PTG1, MalcQV and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  4. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    now that Ferrari corp has many more people to please, they're going to go with whatever sells imo,,,

MalcQV likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    But you can still “care.” ;)

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes, we all know that. But for the purpose of this discussion which direction would YOU like to see them go?

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for posting the poll!

Hopefully more will vote.

I voted modern vintage because there is enough other latest tech out there. They need to differentiate themselves from the rest.

While they are at it, go back to a gated shifter! (I know, no one will buy them)

I hope you are right and that Ferrari does read this.

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I think Ferrari will do both. Modern Vintage will be their GT Series Cars and the Latest Tech will include their Sports Series cars.

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I just want Ferrari to bring back the limited runs and good sounding cars. It was not too long ago that you had to have a proper relationship that you built over time to get cars like the 458 SA. It is really easy to find Pista Spider, SF90, convertible 812 allocations now. Those used to be very limited. The exclusivity of Ferrari has noticeably changed. Quiet a lot of my friends who were die hard ferrari guys felt screwed over by the new business model after purchasing a number of new cars and then have the exclusive models yanked away. They moved over to Mclaren or Lamborghini and almost all passed on the Pista spider. Although I’ve been team ferrari all my life I just don’t have interest anymore if they release anything and everything just to please shareholders. Feels like Porsche to me

PhilNotHill likes this.
  10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    “The Roma was designed “for people who would like to drive a sports car, or a Ferrari, but are afraid of Ferrari and sportscars,” said Ferrari Commercial Director Enrico Galliera at the car’s unveiling in Rome on Thursday.”

I just posted this quote in the Roma thread.
    My answer to the poll is “yes.”
    If they win the F1 title the same year Purosangue is unveiled, they will have achieved both in spades.
    Time will tell how they manage the evolution to a larger volume public company.
    My guess is that, on average, the enthusiasts will be the most likely to be displeased with the new models but this is less important than those new to the marque.
    New buyers obviously will appreciate them.
    Non-tifosi are just Tifosi waiting to happen, either via new models a la Roma or through gateway co-branded luxury item (Armani)

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The future is the windshield, not the rear view mirror.

12. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    Ferrari has already decided which way they are going - more and more they are becoming focused on volume rather than niche market sales. I don't think this volume strategy is commensurate with the 'Modern Vintage' that you define. I would prefer Modern Vintage but think Latest Tech is inevitable.

Marco

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #13 NeuroBeaker, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Modern Vintage. Technology is great, but it should not be at the expense of elegance and style. Too many modern Ferraris have looked too much like teenagers were set loose on them to put F1 inspired winglets, vents, odd angles, and overwrought detailing on the cars.

The Roma is decidedly a step in the right direction. It's the first really good-looking and elegant Ferrari they've made in years.

All the best,
    Andrew.

italiafan, jm2 and GPM like this.
  14. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Latest Tech.

Ferrari is a profit-making public company. While many FChat fans are sentimental about the past, most if not all of their thousands of annual customers expect latest tech. The good news is that the latest tech today will be beloved vintage a few decades from now, to the next generation of FChat fans.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #15 I'm 360 Canuck, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Can someone give me some examples of company’s doing modern vintage (successfully) before I respond?

my initial reaction,is that it isn’t feasible, esp for a publicly traded company.
    We live in an era of stringent emissions and safety guidelines, vegan leather, etc. The old ways just aren’t viable anymore.
    Plus, company’s like the revenue stream from the built in obsolescence of technology. They don’t want owners fixing their cars with a flat head screw driver and tube of JB Weld.

that said, I’ve loved the idea of resto-mods from long before there was a word for them. That’s likely the place to satiate that craving.

16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Latest tech is what gets media coverage, therefore publicity, therefore sales. It’s clear that’s the direction Ferrari needs to go.

G. Pepper and anunakki like this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My personal preference is modern vintage but thats not where the money is.

willrace and mwr4440 like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I am no climatologist, and don’t want to go P&R, but my sense is that our current modern supercars won’t have an ant’s ass impact on the environment.
    So when I think modern vintage I think cars like F12tdf, Speciale, Scud but done in a way such that they are reminiscent of classic Ferrari’s. (Or...think Roma with classic gauges, and zero touchscreens.) Think TM with vintage paints and leathers. I also think of cars like 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 with its sublime 6-speed manual (as an example of an “essence”). Cars in 10 years DON’T need to be faster than an F12tdf...so I don’t care if they make newer ones faster with turbos/hybrid/electric/computers.
    So the poll is about asking you, the lovers of Ferrari, do you only care about 0-62mph, or is there something else you love, an intangible, and you don’t want to see that lost? Because when it’s gone...it’s gone.

daytona355 likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    How about an F12tdf done TM with vintage leathers? How about an F40 with an interior like a Daytona?
    Ferrari can do it.
    The profits would be staggering.

anunakki likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Think of Patek Philippe.
    Does one of their mechanical masterpieces, using technology from a previous century, tell time better than a $10 Casio?
    Nope.
    So why do people pay $300K for one?
    Is PP financially successful?
    So...why can’t Ferrari, as the world’s number 1 most passionate car brand...simply turn its back on every other car company...and say, “We are different, we are leading in a new direction...exquisite cars that deliver emotion like no other car, and still fast enough to scare the sh*t out of you.”
    “You want a track car, okay, we’ll build you a separate fun track car. But our road cars will be unique and something that keeps alive an era.”

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I really wish i could agree, but I just dont think you and I represent the majority. I think people want 'futuristic'

jm2 likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I agree.
    But the poll is about what people want, not what they think will happen.

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think modern Vintage is what can make Ferrari standout from everything else.. In that line I also would like them to bring back a special model like Porsche does in their 911 with a naturally aspirated engine in Ferraris case a V8 .. The car could be limited but like Porsches Gt series they still build a lot of them .. with an exciting 9000 rpm NA V8 .....then they can do what they like with the rest....Like the GT3 it could not have the highest hp ..seems like if Porsche can do it Ferrari could do it...

DrewH and italiafan like this.
  24. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I used to be obsessed with all the models and excited when new ones came out. It was an event when Ferrari releases a new model. In the past 3-4 years can't be bothered to remember which is which of the newest generation. Too many models, too much production, too much tech, just bland and not what made Ferrari different from other makes in the past.

They need a modern Dino brand to make things right. Manual only, 2 seater, as little driver aids as possible, super light, 10k rpm low displacement NA v8 and zero "tech".

25. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Modern vintage for me... ferrari is an event, a culture in itself unlike any other car I’ve ever experienced. It needs to be loud, fast, shouty, extravagant, and to make you feel like a superstar on the Riveira even when popping to Target! No doubt ferrari could do both as others have said, but I want them to keep doing what they have done for 70+ years - make us smile, and make us all true ‘drivers and racers’

kes7u and italiafan like this.