What’s this part? | FerrariChat

What’s this part?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #1 ferralc, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Guys I am replacing the front and engine hood cables as a precaution before they break and I realized the plastic thing is kind of breaking
    (The white one in the picture)
    After looking at parts diagrams I found both cables part numbers to be 61497300 and 61499200
    It doesn’t look like those plastic rounded things come with the cables.
    Any idea?
    Thanks
    Also I will just use the cables inside (not the housing) so I don’t need to route them.
    It looks like a pretty standard Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login bicycle cable that I can get anywhere. But where can I get a cable that has an end like this? Anybody has found an alternative than getting the original cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    every machine shop could make you such an adapter and then press this on the wire

Natkingcolebasket69 and ferralc like this.
  3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Yeah, I'd love to find out where to get this eyelet too.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I make them in the shop.

I think you'll find that Harbor Freight eye too long. One of the problems of adapting the 308 hood handle to the TR is the geometry of the cable pull and that will make it far worse.

The white thing in the picture isn't from Ferrari and was an attempt at repair making the geometry I mentioned worse.

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Are you saying my handle is a 308s? And it was adapted onto a TR?
    How can you see that? I have looked at pictures of the TR one online and it looks just like mine.
    I will go to harbor freight and see if they can cut and adapt the one I have with a new cable.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The handle Ferrari used was the part developed for the 308. It was a poor adaptation and why the cables and handles break. Very poor engineering all so they could use an off the shelf part. Never had that issue in the 308.

7. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I see, so the handle should work without the white plastic. I will try to source a cable and adapt the eyelet. If I can’t find one that fits correctly I will get the original part even though I will only use the inner cable.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that. I suspect is was used to make a broken handle work.

ferralc likes this.
  9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It looks like you could re-use the original eyelet. Cut the cable off flush and use a drill of the appropriate size drill out the rest of the cable. You can use bicycle cable but it's thinner than the OEM Ferrari cable (at least the samples I looked at here in the US) but it looks like it would work. I think you could solder the cable into the eyelet but that alone will not hold it. If you look at the the photo you'll see the factory crimping is adjacent to the eye, leaving a lot of the body to crimp on. You could probably crimp using a punch and hammer to dimple at the 12, 3, 6 and 9:00 positions which should do the trick. I'd discard the white piece, I don't think it helps.

10. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks yes that is exactly what I did
    I got a cable at a hardware store that it was a bit thicker than original but fit inside the sleeve, and I was able to drill the cable inside (after torching it and then cooled it with water) and then crimped the eyelet to the cable.
    The fix worked as a charm, I left the white piece as I believe smooths the angle when the cable is pulled.
    Whole fix $3 dollars.
    Why I did all this it my cable didn’t break? Because I was having problems closing my hood, at the beginning I thought the lock was the problem but the problem was the main wire cable, it was not returning all the way because it had a couple of wires that broke and they were preventing the wire to go back, when you do that the locks kind of get stuck in an open position preventing from locking.
    As long as the black sleeve is in good condition I’d recommend changing the cable inside if it starts breaking or corroding.

11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You can buy original from GT Cr Parts in Phoenix,

ferralc likes this.