355 Owners - What’s Your Valve Guides and Manifolds Story? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Owners - What’s Your Valve Guides and Manifolds Story?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dailo

dailo Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    Always thought I had a sticky lifter, loud tick tick noise on cold start. Turned out it was a cracked manifold. Have 38,000km on my 1997.

Replaced last November with Tubi Manifolds, swapped out the exhaust to a capristo stage 1, and added the capristo valve to get rid of that bloody rattle, it was driving me nuts.

So far, seems to be no valve guide issues.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have 17,300 miles on mine (95 GTB) with stock valve guides and manifolds. The dealer said they were both fine when I had it in for service this past January.

Still, while not in the market, I am softly looking for the Tubi headers. However the price is simply insane.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am glad. Boght mine 12 years ago. They were cheaper.

4. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    PO receipts show that my car had all valves, and all guides replaced with the above Ferrari part numbers. done at Ferrari dealership, heads were subbed out to a reputable machine shop. receipt says: "remove and install bronze valve guides and installed sintered valve guides" not sure I understand what is meant? I thought the original guides were copper alloy? the writing suggests they removed bronze guides, but perhaps the proper interpretation is that they installed bronze guides?

can I be confident that the guides Ferrari currently supplies are upgrades, and not the inferior ones from the 90's?

5. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    #55 Sancho22, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Just acquired a six speed 1995 Spyder (rosso corsa / tan). Around 44K miles, has a Capristo stage III exhaust system. Valve guides were replaced at 36K miles in 2011. New cats at 42K miles, looks like manifolds were repaired by Ricambi (not sure exactly what) in 2010 (36K miles or so).
    For the next engine out (next year) I would consider replacing the manifolds as recommended above likely with Fabspeed (not sure I can swing the Tube but will depend on total bill).

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bronze is an alloy consisting partially of copper. The proper interpretation is exactly as you read.

Doing a valve job right now on a 95 with 14k miles. Had one cylinder with 34% leakage from the exhaust valves.

Flavio_C likes this.
  7. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    does that mean the sintered guides are the "better" upgraded ones? Receipt shows 95% leakage in cylinder 7 prior to valve job!

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sintered iron was their answer to the valve guide problem.

I would have had to do the leak test myself to believe 95%. I think it could do better with the piston rings laying on the work bench.

9. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Ok. thanks for the schooling. Is this the end of the story and I sleep like a baby? I see that some companies are offering a manganese copper guide as an upgrade? in 2019, which is the best or better solution?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sintered iron is a quality material. I am just not crazy about the cost or quality.

11. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    ‘98 GTS
    Headers failed around 20k mi. Replaced w fabspeeds. Valve guides non-issue on my car according to the “pro” wrench I use who knows my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Rifleman,
    thanks for the information regarding guides. you baited me with your last reply about guides....lol.

you mention you don't like sintered because of cost (I can live with that, I didn't pay for them..) but then you mention quality. as mentioned, PO had all valves and guides replaced 10 years ago, and less than 9k miles. done at authorized ferrari dealer, and used Ferrari parts. looking for some sugar that I can put the guides in my rear view mirror and start shopping for new tires. would like to hear your thoughts, since its obvious you have been around the block (wow, that sounds bad..) my first modern Ferrari and trying to plan ahead.
    thanks

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    BOKE likes this.
  14. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    lol....thanks
    I meant rifledriver….Chuck Connors is the original rifleman. i'll bet he owned a Ferrari

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  16. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    I've got a 95 B with 15,000 miles on it. Just did the major earlier this year. Leakdown and compression numbers were great, so no need to pull the heads. I did replace the headers with Tubi's as well as tubi cat bypass pipes, fabspeed secondary bypass and fabspeed muffler. Sounds great.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    95 with 27k. Valve guides with new valves done at 19k as part of purchase agreement. Original headers at this time, smoked tested last spring and they are good. May put Tubis on next spring as a preventative measure and be done with it. Other wise, headers will wait until next major.

18. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    I’ve got 99 355 undergoing it’s major service at 36k. The headers were repaired by previous owner at 30k, passed the smoke test. I’m going to take a better look once the mechanic drops it. He says there’s no reason to replace them, as this was a late build and they had used better headers at that time. I’m torn. I don’t want to spend $4k on tubis and hear you lose that F1 sound with the fabspeed. But I’m also a buy once cry once mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Better yes but still problematic. I have replaced many of them. Header replacement isn't difficult with engine in place. I see no compelling reason not to wait until they are symptomatic.

Sami likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  22. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for chiming in on this Rifledriver.

‘97 Spider, 28000 miles, 2nd set of stock headers, original valve guides.

23. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    Good to hear. Everyone keeps saying to do it now while the engines out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    No not every one. It's just when some mention doing them with the engine in, some of the righteous on here start being critical. It's just a thing on here ;)
    Were as they would not dare do this to rifle driver, hes the man that carries weight around here, like a sheriff with two tin stars:D

Oh and when you said " I don’t want to spend $4k on tubis", there are some who would say your ferrari will be a less maintained car because you might not be as frivolous with your money as they are :rolleyes:

25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I could be wrong, but I haven’t seen anyone being criticized for replacing the headers when the engine is in the car, some might feel it is just easier to do when the engine is out. The threads that have had controversy or differing opinions is doing major services in vs out of the car.