Fake tool kits. Beware. | FerrariChat

Fake tool kits. Beware.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    It's come to my notice that the Ferrari tool market in the U.K. is being inundated with replica tool rolls and contents. Mainly 250, 275 & Daytona.
    These are apparently manufactured in Italy and from a cursory glance can fool the unaware. However if physically inspected it becomes immediately obvious.
    The bag material is made of a soft poor quality leather and the stitching is entirely wrong. Interior leather webbing is too narrow. The tools have been recast and are very light. Cast marks are easily apparent on the wrenches. Grease guns have a similar but wrong patternif compared to the original. The Riganti jacks on a 250 kit are freshly resprayed and uniformly distressed. New incorrect Riganti labels applied...I believe these originated from 1970's Fiats when they were painted Black. The list goes on but every single tool is counterfeit.
    The perpetrators appear to be targeting the auction houses. I've seen 5 kits in the past 2 months auctioned at high levels. This week I visited a leading U.K. auction house to inspect two 250 kits that were coming up for sale and both were immediately apparent fakes. The auction house has withdrawn them from sale.
    My humble advice is to physically view before purchase and take advice from an owner of an original kit.
    I cannot name names but the Ferrari community here are aware of a certain individual whose website / eBay account is full of these fake tools and his name has been circulated to all prominent auction houses. I attach a photograph of a recent fake sent to auction.
    View attachment 2853527

Bowzer and peterp like this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So, these are newly or recently made kits using reproduction components applied (distressed?) with faked aging/patina, giving them decades old/original/used/worn appearance ?

3. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    That is a perfect description. Produced to deceive. We all know there have been a few old tools reproduced over the years, especially the hard to find items. However most sellers are honest and will declare as such.
    This is a completely different ball game and the production is prodigious. I have good reason to believe they originate in Italy but no idea if it's one source or many. What concerns me is that from a small auction house or eBay photo they look real.

4. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    I have seen the fake leather bags too... they are expertly distressed, and in photos very difficult to tell apart from the real thing. The giveaway is that they are made entirely from leather, whereas Ferrari used vinyl for the main portion of the bag, with leather only being used for the handle, hold down webbing and outer straps.

Bowzer, 375+ and PAUL BABER like this.
  5. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Wow, convincingly patinated for sure

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Theo You should be equally concerned as you sell original tools. Beware of screwdrivers that are not only too large but the heads are wrong. On some Riganti jacks the apparent usual surface rust is in fact brown paint. The stamping on the oil wrench is a poor facsimile and you would laugh at the poor quality of the supposed Beta wrenches. However... from afar or especially a small photograph it is almost impossible to detect. You may also be aware of the UK perpetrator who regularly sells these kits and I've just seen he has featured in Ferrari Chat in the past concerning a similar issue. Paul.

375+ likes this.
  7. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Paul, thanks for the heads up.

I have one seller in mind and as I am in the market for a tool roll I would highly appreciate if you could send me the name per private conversation.

Better safe than sorry ;-)

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I would gladly... if I could discover how to contact you by private conversation. Hopeless with modern technology. Am on an I phone. Maybe you can email me at
    [email protected]

9. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    In answer to many emails and private messages I've received may I copy this reply.... Maybe somebody who now suspects they have purchased a non original kit could publish the sellers name ?

I think in the litigious world we live in it must be obvious that I cannot publically denounce the name of the UK dealer involved in the sale of these fake kits. Had I actually purchased one from him then it would be possible. I haven't but whenever I attempt to trace the history of any of these kits one name continues to recur. Since posting my email address I have received many messages suggesting possible names but again that 'name' is the most prolific. More worryingly I've also received messages from dealers who are concerned that their businesses will become suspect...not sure how to counter this but can say that most are true enthusiasts and I'm only aware of one culprit.
    I can only hope that the dealer concerned, who I know will read this, will have the good sense to curtail his activities.
    The purpose of my original post was to make all aware of this situation. I have not exaggerated in any way. The fakery appears to be confined to 250, 275 & Daytona kits. I am yet to see a replica GTC twin bag kit. The most prolific are the 250 kits and given that they both more basic and more valuable this is not surprising. I've been involved in the world of these kits for over 40 years. Today I take an interest rather than actively deal but during this time I've never experienced fakery of this scale. I'm sure the present perceived value of a 250 kit today at close to £20,000 must play a part in the deception. During the mid 1990's I use to sell them for less than £1,000.
    Again, I can only advise any potential purchaser to take expert advice. Ask the seller for detailed photos and ask specific questions. I can imagine how difficult this can be if you're in the US and say negotiating with a U.K. / European seller but most are honest and I'm sure will understand and comply. I will separately post a detailed list of points to be aware of. I also realise this will notify the manufacturers of their current mistakes....Its difficult. Paul

readplays, 375+ and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you for helping put this on the radar.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’d love to see comparative pictures without revealing any sources.

Matt

12. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Hi Matt. I have several genuine 250 kits... not for sale...but unfortunately theyre in my London garage ... I'm at home. So can't compare directly now but will do.
    I attach some 'snaps' I took on my phone of one of the kits at the auction house last week. Poor quality sadly but they do show some of the points to look for...
    Note...
    Main leather securing strap of bag has too many holes and end of strap wrong shape.

There is a photo of the grease gun. Note the fastening screws top and bottom. The gaps are too large. The butterfly nut at top that's not shown in photo is the wrong design.

The lead mallet has a wrong shaped head and is slightly too small. The uniform vertical 'scratches' on the handle are in fact brown paint.

The screwdrivers should comprise of two flatheads. All fakes appear to have one flathead and one screwhead. They are too long and the securing clamp for the shafts vary. On the wood handle one can see where a long name has been poorly rubbed out.

The shiny reflection on the Carello oil wrench is uniform on all I've seen and it is obvious that some name has been burnished off. The Carello trademark is also stamped on all far too bold & deep.

There is a photo of part of the bag where the outer securing strap attaches

375+ likes this.
  13. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
  14. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber

15. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
  16. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Thank you, this is helpful

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #17 375+, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Very helpful Paul, thank you. Email sent.

18. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    incredible....45 years ago, if you told me it was going to come to this, I'd have laughed until i was out of breath...
    ow, it seems the level of audacity at exploiting our hobby/passion, has risen to this level of unscrupulous FRAUD...it has
    left me breathless....

19. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    It is so fortunate that people like PB are still around and care enough to recognise the wheat from the chaff, and to share with our community.

readplays and Bryanp like this.
  20. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    There are so many junk tools out there on eBay, etc. that people are trying to pass off. I think a thread dedicated to photos and details of authentic vintage tools would be useful to help sort out the junk.

Rossocorsa1, turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    A rare Ferrari 250 GT tool roll for post-1960 'outside plug' cars,

£ 5,000 - 7,000
    US$ 6,400 - 9,000

Was withdrawn from Bonhams latest sale...

Regards, Alberto

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    That price seems like an absolute steal

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #23 swift53, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Well, it did not sell as withdrawn, wonder why?

Regards, Alberto

PS. This a blow to the 'bonafide' dealers, as suddenly it all becomes iffy, unless readily viewable,
    by a third party. So what now, PPI's just as with cars? Bummer.

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017