76 RR Silver Shadow restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

76 RR Silver Shadow restoration

Discussion in 'British' started by URAS, Jan 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    While checking up on the e-type, also visited my old lady. Lot of progress made and shop is comfortable 3rd week of June for delivery date. Driveline completed and ready to install. Final polish completed, some sections of interior were redone (side front kick areas). Also going on this week is the everflex roof covering. A whole bunch of parts were ordered February 2016 and these have arrived- OEM exhaust, suspension, brakes, mouldings. Shop looking for period correct radio with separate 8 track player and CD deck in trunk. With the polish, the grey and silver looks even better in person. Will post pictures on my next visit.

2. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    due to other projects, the RR was delayed. Work has restarted. Two tone looks much better in person.

3. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #53 URAS, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #54 URAS, Sep 28, 2016
  5. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #55 URAS, Sep 28, 2016
  6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #56 URAS, Sep 28, 2016
  7. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #57 URAS, Sep 28, 2016
  8. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Did you need to rechrome any pieces? The chrome on my '67 Shadow still looks perfect! Was wondering if the factory plating-quality diminished on later models, or continued to remain at a high level, at least thru the 1970s.
    Thank you for taking the time to post progress photos!

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Unlike the E - Type (posted on seperate thread) which is a nuts/bolts/clips restoration, the Silver Shadow was already in good shape to start with. So we went with a cosmetic restoration and refresh the driveline. The front bumpers were in excellent condition. The rear had very minor scratches. So the shop did buffing on both and they came out like new. The wheels are also staying and will be refinished. Inside, the carpet is being replaced and the side kicker panel on driver side is being repaired. The rest of the interior is like new. New fabric for the everflex roof has been ordered. The windows were slow so relays were installed and now they go up like they are on steroids.

10. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Great project, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to future updates.

11. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Well I made the trip to the shop yesterday to see how this and the E-type were doing. The car was on the hoist and I did not want the mechanic to take it down just so I could take some pictures. He had the car set up to install the front cradle/suspension/engine and with his 4' long threaded rods holding the plates together to squeeze the springs, it would have been selfish of me to interrupt his work.

The driveline is in, rear-end is in, front driveline cradle being installed, dash woodwork refinished, most of interior is in. It actually looks like an almost complete car now. What is left is the everflex roof (fabric arrived and installer scheduled for next week), the hydraulic rear levelling system, about half of the exterior trim (primarily lights and seals), and refinish the 4 rims and install new rubber. The grey/silver on this style of car looks very elegant....no popping, just subtle elegance.

The shop is feeling more comfortable with a mid Dec. delivery date. Hopefully the weather will hold up and I can drive it home instead of flat bedding it and putting it into storage until spring.

I will try to drive to the shop again about Nov. 30th and will take some pictures at that time.

12. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    I know not to ask but, can you give me a ballpark of the estimated cost. Andy

13. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I don't have a problem sharing this information- it is not like people
    do not know the cost of restorations! The bodywork $14k, interior/everflex
    roof 6k, complete driveline rebuild $40k, brakes/suspension/tires $20k, misc $20k= $100k.
    At the end of the day, even restored it is still worth $30-40k on a good
    Day. I did it because I just love this car - size, quality, ride. So for a $100k I get to enjoy a classic in style. I have friends who spend $500k on a new
    RR and lose $100k per year in depreciation. I paid $10k for the car. I should be able
    to enjoy it for the next 10+ years.
    Not the best way of spending money for sure..... but did I mention I love this car!

14. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    Do you think one could obtain a restored RR for 40 ? Wow

15. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    The average cost of a level 2 silver shadow in my neck of the woods is about$20k, maybe 30k. And mine will be a level 2. Because of the low value, it makes no sense to pump in money as no return. The only ones who will do what I am doing are the ones who want to retain the car, and like me pass it down to my kids. A basic brake job is $10k. A basic suspension job is $10k. So in the end, it is worth more as a parts car.

16. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #66 URAS, Dec 8, 2016
    for example, here is one in auto trader for under $22k (asking price at a dealership...so probably around $20K) Canadian = $14,000 USD approximately. I found many others in the low $20k (Canadian) range. I had my own appraised for insurance earlier this week.....value is $35,000.

But like any car of this vintage, even getting it free can end up being a money pit if you do not thoroughly have it checked over. The braking system, while excellent, is very complex and works of the cam to pressurize the system. The load levelling, again excellent when working, but over $10k to fix if things go wrong...had balloon type of canisters in the boot for pressurization.

I purchased mine after having it checked out. I was aware of what needed to be done. I drove it for 2 years, got to know it inside and out, decided I did like the old lady. She drove well, burnt/leaked a liter of oil every 3,000km, lousy gas mileage as expected, so only than made the leap to have it restored, though not to a nuts/bolts/clip level which would have been another $100k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

18. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Yes they are a good source. I have communicated with them in the past. They do have (what appears to be) a good example of a 73 Silver Shadow for the buy it now price of $31,500. To answer Andy's question.....yes....it is possible to get a good quality/driver Silver Shadow for under $40,000.

19. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Just curious... what is the expense in the hydraulic load leveling system? Is it the parts or the labor? Is there a specific weak spot that develops on these cars?

20. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Hi Chris. The system that RR uses for the 1969 and new models was that the load levelling pressure was run of the engine for the braking and rear levelling (prior to 69 included the front levelling as well, but for 69+ front was eliminated as really not required). There is a fantastic diagram in the RROC forum and I was attaching it....but just realized my subscription just expired and it would not let me attach. I better remember to renew my subscription over the next few days.

There is nothing wrong with the system. If anything, RR over engineered it, and it works amazingly...a fast cycle and a slower cycle...the system automatically lowers in 'Park'. But like anything which is 40+ years old, things do do....lines, pumps, canisters, etc. There are reservoirs, accumulators, pumps, rams. Many owners convert to air shocks when the system goes and one can do that for about $500....easy to find standard air shocks which will fit.

However, I wanted to keep it original so I went in for a complete replacement/refurbishment. As most of the system was already working, it was retweaking only for me, i.e. replacing the accumulators and solenoids and some high pressure lines. However, if one were to replace everything, easily $10K+ for parts alone. And another 100+ hours in labour. The system is really neat in that the two pumps work of the camshaft using pushrods.

21. JohnWB

JohnWB Rookie

Nov 4, 2011
    I realise it has been coming up on 3 years since your last report.

Any possibility of a status update and, perhaps, some photos inside and out?

It would be greatly appreciated.

John

22. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I'd love to see an update as well.