Clear Bra Removal | FerrariChat

Clear Bra Removal

Discussion in '360/430' started by delaney, Nov 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Thinking of removing my 12 year old clear bra. Searched for info and it looks quite simple using a heat gun.... cautiously.

Any additional advice from folk who have done this?

Appreciate it.

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    When I had mine replaced, the installer said to leave it out in the sun for a few hours before removing.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Usually pretty clear if you know what you are looking for...There should be a clasp in the back that you can generally get to with 2 fingers...some of the trickier ones have it in the front but you can't be as discreet...

Oh crap, wrong forum, sorry.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Have a professional do it. A few seconds too long with the heat gun and you’ll be pulling paint. Steam is quite a bit safer.

SAFE4NOW and ahsan127 like this.
  5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As above, gave a professional take it off. Paid $70 for an hour and no damage to paint. There is a certain way to pull it off or you risk damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'm going to remove mine here in the coming weeks with my professional steamer. Probably a lot safer than my heat gun. I'll keep y'all posted.

APA#1 likes this.
  7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yea theres no way id use a heat gun, steamer is the way to go,,,,If you can let us know how it works out as im looking to do the same. BTW what kind if steamer do you have

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    It's an old (read: well made) Jiffy commercial unit. I use it mostly for upholstery work. Works great for that.

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Glad you pulled this one up. My bra is about 8 years old and I'd like to remove/replace it in hopes of avoiding the original one permanently affixing itself to the paint.

Agree that a heat gun is a bad idea as it temps they tend to get to can easily damage paint. It sounds like steam, and employing a professional, is the way to go but, if that somehow wasn't an option, I would at least downgrade to a hair dryer, which doesn't produce nearly as much heat.

10. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Just been quoted $350-400 to remove the clear bra. The place rekons it’ll take 2-3 hrs inclusive of buffing/removing adhesive remains.

11. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Anyone used a steam gun for this task?

I’d think a decent hairdryer on ‘full’ may be even hotter than ~ 100 deg C.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Go to a professional. In certain corners the installer would have used a glue to hold in down.
    If you're not careful (with steam or heat) you could pull up the paint. That will be costly.
    As me how I know.

13. frankalfa

frankalfa Rookie

May 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I used the steamer yesterday for removing the lower 1/3 of the front hood clear bra. I started at the edge and used my Jiffy Steamer. It works great but you do have to go slow and try and pull the clear plastic protection film parallel to the paint surface as opposed to straight up... It seems to apply the most pulling force with the least risk of removing the paint and also keeps the plastic from ripping into small pieces. I got the hood piece off in one piece once I got a short way into it (at first the plastic kept tearing into smaller pieces until I got the hang of it).

I kept the steamer about right on the surface of the plastic for about 5 seconds working an area of about 12" by the 4"...but I really don't think with the steamer you can get anything overheated enough to cause any damage to the paint ( heat gun-- not so confident of!). Also I found staying away about 1/2" from the edge you are peeling keeps the plastic from tearing --- once it gets too hot and too soft it wants to tear. Once the plastic was removed I had virtually no adhesive at all that was left on the paint. Only a few spots at the very edges of the hood. Very minor. Now with this all said I really don't have a record of when this clear bra was applied. I've owned the car for about 2 years and I came from CA and spent it's life in AZ and NV. All hot climates. I was concerned that if I didn't get it removed soon it may become a bigger problem. I always removed the same OEM stuff from the rear flares of my 911's after 3 or 4 years (a 3M product) and I can tell you the longer I waited the more pieces it came off in and left significant glue residue behind on the paint.

After my success with the hood I went on to the front header above the bumper. Same results. All went well. But I can't stress how patient you have to be. It took me about an hour to do both the hood and the front header. Keep that in mind when you ask a pro to do this. Time is money...

IMO the steamer is the only way to go. I hope this helps folks faced with the same task.

Need4Spd and 338Lapua like this.
  15. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would be prepared for some of your paint to come up with the clear bra. I'm assuming this is a 2007 F430 based on age of clear bra. 430's seem to be notorious for this (ask me how I know). Be prepared for the worse, and hope for the best. Regardless, a steamer is the way to go and also a warm day. The advice that KC360 FL gave above is really good.

16. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Bought a decent steamer off eBay...$45. Tried it and after ~ 1 hr had ~ .75 ft^2....all came off in tiny bits...horrible mess. Took it to a professional... 2 guys for ~ 2 hrs. Seems clear bra was factory installed so ~ 16 years old. Front 1/3 of hood, around the headlights, both mirrors, edges of doors and air scoops at the back. They did an excellent job.

Question: Any opinion on ceramic ‘polishing’. Quoted $700 or $1300.... one/two coats. Includes wheels off, inside and outside and brake calipers. They reckon 1.5 days to complete.

17. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Multiple threads in the detailing and showroom sub forum on ceramic coatings. Lots of info there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro