Seasonal plates | FerrariChat

Seasonal plates

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JasonN, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Years ago in Pennsylvania, you could drop the collision portion of your auto insurance while the car was in storage for the winter. This would save a ton of money because collision is the highest amount of the policy.

My agent now tells me I can do that again. Do any other members do this? Do you have to send your plates into the state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, What a great deal!
    Nothing like that in CA!

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I do this every winter, and it definitely helps save money. No, I don't have to send in my plates.

Kevin

4. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I do this every year. Keep plates. Car stays in garage. State Farm Ins.
    GTS Bruce

5. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Not sure why you would think you would need to send your plates to anyone. The insurance company doesn't require you to have "full" coverage on any vehicle. As far as I know states only require liability coverage if you are driving the car. You could actually get rid of all coverage except the comprehensive portion of your policy coverage, to protect for fire/theft as an example.

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I do the same with State Farm; I am in MI. I don;t have send in the plates; I simply sign an affidavit (which considering we just got 8 inches of snow is a bit redundant)

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I could be wrong, but placing a vehicle on (and/or providing proof to carrier of) non-op could have an effect on insurance premiums.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yes, that I know, but unfortunately you cant drive the car at all till you pay the reg. fees in full

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    No difference from OP. Can’t drive if not covered for collision liability.

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yea, but I still pay insurance.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It’s common up here. I turn off the coverage for collisions and liability for the winter, only keeping fire, theft, etc. Brings my payments down to a few dollars a month. No impact on premiums, in fact insurers like that coverage isn’t turned off completely.
    Nothing to do with plates up here. If I did drive it this way, I just wouldn’t have any coverage if an accident happened....and I think now cops can check my coverage electronically, so could receive a ticket.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    This is, or perhaps I should say used to be, common in some (northern) European countries 30+ years ago.
    Place your car on non-op (usually for winter season) and insurance companies charged considerably less for the period car was not eligible to be driven on public roads (i.e. in non-op = not registered).
    I haven’t explored if such policies are available here/now, since I drive my cars, including vintage ones, year round.