328 v 3.2 911 carrera | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 v 3.2 911 carrera

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mckinney, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "It does take a toll on your body after a 200 mile run, not a long distance car by any means."

Having done 2700+ miles in 2.5 days in my 328, I concur. Earplugs are required and cruise control would be great...as would decent air conditioning (in August). I readily admit that in that long trip mode, the 996 was superb in comparison. Actually, it did everything better than the 328...except connect with me! :)

2. PJM308

PJM308 Rookie

Dec 29, 2016
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Paul Miller
    My 3.2 and my 3.2. I regularly drive them back to back. IMHO the 911 would eat the 328 off the line, zipping around the city and on a timed lap. The 328's gear shift is too slow and where the 911 would inch ahead, the 328 also takes 30 mins of driving to get up to proper temp's to shift quickly. The 328 is more of a cruiser. The 328 is more of occasion. On the open highway the 328 is a little more torquey and probably quicker. Yes - the 328 gets far more looks, it's funny having people take photos of the car when on the highway or at the lights. The difference in the cars is their personality, I would describe the 911 has having character and the 328 as having magic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sancho22, ggbh8, JLF and 5 others like this.
  3. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    I own a 79 SC which is immaculate and recently had 78K spent on it by the original owner who I purchased it from. It has a some very nice suspension and is now a 3.2. All the mechanicals have been completely gone thru. I only mention this because I am comparing this car to my 328 which in the Ferrari world is a nice solid driver with 57K on it.

Funny, I was asked this exact same question just yesterday. The 911 is excellent and a very solid feeling car (granted as it should be for what was just spent on it). Off the line and in the canyons they seem fairly equal. My wife loves both she refers to the 911 as our classy wine tasting car (the 66 GT350 is our beer guzzling car) however after I took her for a ride in the 328 her reply was, "now I get it". She loved the sound of the 328 and of course she loves the looks. If you are into attention, hands down the Ferrari wins. Half my gas stops are spent talking to strangers. The 911 gets a lot of thumbs up but nothing like the 328.

I do love the 911 but when comparing the two I would take the 328 any day. The looks, the sound, and the gated shifter are just magical. In all fairness a few months ago though we had a wedding up in Monterey and we took the 911. It is by far the better car for long distance trips (as well as having the space needed for the luggage, and yes to the contrary the AC blows ice cold). The few times we are able to go on date nights we also take the 911 as I don't want to leave the 328 unattended for to long. Even in decent neighborhoods in So. Cal most people think its a new Ferrari and I don't want some butt hole hurting it.

My friend who is a die hard Porsche guy drove my 328 the other day. He told me he was shocked at how solid it felt. He said he was expecting something more like a 70s or early 80s Ducati. He walked away very impressed and also couldn't get over how well it sounded when the tach needle approached the limits.

PJM308, Il Tifoso and 308 milano like this.
  4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Interesting post as I have added cruise control and updated air conditioning. Drove from Canada to Vermont to Maryland and the entire trip was exciting and comfortable.

qvee and Il Tifoso like this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I drive a couple times a year from Bay Area to SoCal (400 miles) in my 328. Other than having no workable AC, the car is quite comfortable and fun. My 996GT3 with racing seat is fun and has AC. My 997 is comfy, with AC, and quite boring with a tipt.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I agree with the perspectives shared. Up until a few weeks ago, I had both my ‘85 308 QV GTS and my ‘87 911 3.2 Coupe G50. I’ve owned both for 5+ years simultaneously.

Both are fantastic cars, but VERY different. The 308 is an event every time you drive it, a truly unique experience of amazing beauty, sounds, smells that brings huge smiles. The 911 is beautifully engineered and refined, it is a pleasure to drive, feels super precise, but is somehow lacking that sense of occasion that is so prevalent in the 308.

I’ve recently decided that I wanted to simplify my car stable and was considering selling either the 308 or the 911. As much as I love both cars, the 911 left the stable a few weeks ago via BAT... it was a relatively (in the Porsche world) low mile ~85K miles and a true all original time capsule car, something that is sometimes difficult to find in the Porsche world. As wonderful as it was, it just didn’t stir the soul like the 308.

Ruben

cnpapa24 likes this.
  7. qvee

qvee Karting

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    Having owned both, a 328 GTS with a Larini and currently a 3.2 with an M&K exhaust, the 911 is quicker, less tiring, and a much cheaper and easier to live with proposition. However if you want the sense of occassion, a car that stirs your soul when you open the garage door, and is basically rolling art then the 328 is the car!!!! My next Ferrari will be a 355 again. Best sounding, best performance, great looking, just a tad more expensive to service.

mclaudio and 83911SCDrew like this.
  8. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    #58 83911SCDrew, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    I have two air-cooled Porsches, and a 328 GTS. I also have the more commonly-compared Porsche, a 928S. They’re all great. I don’t need to say on F-chat how great the 328 is. It’s rolling sex on wheels. It’s a mistress. The 911SC, though, is a really cool wife.

You can jump into an air-cooled 911 and drive anywhere, anytime. A five minute run for milk is no problem. The 328, on the other hand, likes a nice, long warm up before you drive it. I guess you can say that it makes driving the 328 more of an occasion, but it’s not fair to ding the Porsche for simply working well, even when cold. My 911 (either of them) would trounce my 328 in every performance contest except for top speed. My 964 would still win that on, though. The Porsches feel like scalpels when set up and driven correctly. And when you do drive them correctly, you feel like you have achieved something. These are not cars that drive themselves.

The 328 is lovely the way it rolls through a corner, though. So much fun. Absolute performance paradigms don’t matter with older Ferrari’s. I love the way the shifter and engine need to be warmed up before fully using them. You need to relearn how you drive a sports car with the older Ferraris. The sounds, the smells, the wind in your hair - it’s all intoxicating with the GTS. I’m loving every minute of owning this car. I go out into the garage at night and just stare at it.

As for the 928S, the car most compared with the 308/328 back in the day - nothing could be more different. That car is an absolute tool to cover long distances as quickly as possible with little impact to its occupants. It accelerates like a freight train, it handles well, it brakes well, and it has one of the first cockpits truly built around d the driver. It’s wild looking, perhaps even more so today against the landscape of sameness in the automotive world.

On the service side of things, my 928 and my 944 are both timing belt cars much like the 328. Both need belt services somewhere in the 5 to 6 year range. The 911 SC, however, has literally never been apart since it was built in 1982. I bought the car with I think 52,000 miles on it and proceeded to use it for track use for nine years, and I also did literally hundreds of autocrosses with that car. Every time I would load up the car with all of my spare tires and tools and luggage, drive it to the track or autocross venue, drive the snot out of it sometimes for as many as three days, and then put everything back in and drive it home. It would also go back-and-forth with me to work and for other long drives. The only service it required was oil changes and brake fluid and pad changes. It is like a tractor. Dead reliable and strong.

I am kind of surprised at the attention, and type of attention my cars get in the wild. I find that the Porsches will get a lot of attention and comments, especially the 928. I had one older gentleman come up to me and ask if he could sit in the car, commenting that It was his dream car from the 1978 car show but that he never had an opportunity to sit in one. I was happy to oblige. I’ve had countless people come up and tell me they’re 944 stories when I’m driving my 944. The car gets a ton of love. I have had many women take selfie‘s with the 911’s. The Ferrari, on the other hand, seems to attract this negative energy that I can’t quite explain. People tailgate me very closely on the highway trying to get me to move over, and after I do move over they really don’t go anywhere. It’s almost like they just want to intimidate me for driving a red Ferrari. It’s kind of a third-party red mist, if you will. It’s almost like people assume that you will be approachable when you drive a Porsche, but that you must be a prick if you drive a Ferrari. Who knows, maybe it’s just my imagination.

in any event, Its easy to love all these cars.

qvee and Il Tifoso like this.
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  10. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Here is an interesting comparison article from Excellence Magazine,

Attached Files:

PJM308, qvee and 83911SCDrew like this.
  11. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    Thanks for sharing this! What a great article, and seems to mirror much of what is said in this thread.

PJM308 likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I owned an 84 Carrera, an 80 911SC, still own a 996GT3. I also own two Ferraris and one of which is a 328.

For Porsche, I prefer the SC over the Carrera because there is just too much weight in a Carrera for the 214 HP engine.
    As for the Ferrari, the 328 makes you work harder to keep up with faster cars but it is so satisfying when you do keep up. The experience is so much more exotic. It is much more fun than the Carrera.

Both are nice cars to own but there is a reason why the Porsche is outside in the driveway and the Ferrari is inside under cover. It is more special.

PJM308, qvee and mclaudio like this.
  13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do you guys remember this 911 vs 308?

PJM308 and 83911SCDrew like this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, and in that clip the 308 won. Barely.

miketuason likes this.
  15. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    That race scene in against all odds is classic!
    It’s what made me what a black Ferrari! 328 in my case.

PJM308 and miketuason like this.
  16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The Ferrari driver seems to spend an awful lot of time on the brake pedal - Even when he's pulling out for overtakes!o_O

I wouldn't put too much faith in TV/movie car chases - Watching an episode of "Miami Vice" the other night, apparently a mid-eighties American four sedan has little trouble in keeping up with a Testarossa! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

83911SCDrew likes this.
  17. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    Ever see “ No Mans Land”? There is a great chase where a Lincoln Continental Mark V (1977 or so) is keeping up with a 930 Turbo.

18. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    One of the best!

miketuason likes this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If you have a 911 with a solid roof, it should not be compared with a 328 GTS, but with a 328 GTB, which is a better performer than a GTS. I have both a 328GTS and a 328GTB, built five weeks apart, and as far as performance go, there is simply no comparison, the "B" is a much better driver's car, and its slightly quicker, too (that was said in most period tests, too). So comparing a solid roof 911 with a 328 GTB, or a 328 GTS to a 911 Targa, would be more fair...

Rgds

Il Tifoso, 83911SCDrew and PJM308 like this.
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I also seem to recall that the 308 sound in the movie is not a 308 engine, but was dubbed over by a V-12, according to some discussion that occured on this forum a few years back...

Rgds

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The Miami Vice "Daytona" also made a glorious V12 sound - Pretty impressive considering the car was a V8 Corvette underneath! :D

22. PJM308

PJM308 Rookie

Dec 29, 2016
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Paul Miller
    Fair comment - I have never driven a 328 GTB, but accept what you are saying being a tin-top and lighter.

83911SCDrew likes this.