550 with Fiorano handling pack | FerrariChat

550 with Fiorano handling pack

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by CGH, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CGH

CGH Karting

Nov 8, 2011
    Tenerife, Canary Islands
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Does anyone know how many were made? Just took one in as a part exchange against a 599 Fiorano and was curious if anyone knew how many were made and if they are valued above regular 550 Maranellos?

This one is a right hand drive UK car.

2. Richard Day

Richard Day Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    Perth Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Day
    I would like to know also as mine is from the UK with the fhp
    Dicky

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari never gave out numbers on options, so hard to tell. Unlike on the 575M, FHP was fairly rare on the 550, likely way less than 5% of the 3600 550s fitted. We have some crude statistics on 575Ms, but none on 550s that I have seen.

4. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    My 2001 550 has the FHP option listed on the window sticker.

5. Richard Day

Richard Day Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    Perth Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Day
    Thank taz

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think they are higher value to some people. Realize however that bushings, springs, and shocks loose their properties just installed on the car regardless of miles. So you can have an fhp car actually handle worse than a well maintained non fhp car.

personally I think Ferrari really missed the boat on 550 handling. Some complaint too soft rear ended squat, porpoising, too much roll and other oddities like the “junk in the trunk” road feel.

the chassis however responds very well to following general guidelines of suspension math. That means the owner needs to choose his compromise chassis frequency and proper front to rear split and choose his spring rates. Then almost any shock even stock will work on the street or the new suspension will really shine with custom valves shocks to wheel rates chosen, sprung and unsprung weight. Guys like performance shock custom valve for us racers all the time. There are guys who’s job is to do this stuff.

I could not find reliable data on 550 or 575 stock , fhp, or hgtc so I gave up and weighed the car as driven, weighted components and did the math.

Cmall1 likes this.
  7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Les- Affirmative, FHP was a regular production option introduced in the 1997/98 timeframe as part of the Scaglietti options and would be listed on the Monroney for US 550s. Here is a list of options from the UK that includes a few (roll bar, 4 point belts) not available in the US. The pound sterling was worth about $1.65 in early 1998.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Taz, Do you happen to have the option list for USA MY 2000?

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I recall those complaints were about the launch 575s, rather than 550s? My recollection, 550s were critiqued for the numb steering (first PAS 2 seater V12) and not being any quicker than the car they replaced, and too quiet, although much more complete. But, I see what you mean about junk in the trunk..slightly unruly when on the edge, right?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- No, I do not have a 2000 US option list, but it should be identical to the UK one except for the roll bar and 4 point harnesses. No prices, unfortunately, but let me see if I have any Monroneys with pricing data.

I also have a German option list, attached. Attached are all the 550 Monroneys I have, too. Not many since I have not gone out of my way to collect 550 data.

Les- If you could post your 550's Monroney, it will help fill in the option data.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    Here’s mine Taz.

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Les- Thanks, yours has all kinds of goodies. Does yours have the diamond pattern on the shelf? Hard to tell from the Monroneys without photos of the interior. Sounds like it did since the headliner has the diamond pattern leather.

Interesting it shows tinted glass. Did not know any of the Maranellos had tinted glass.

13. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    Yes, the rear shelf is diamond patterned as well. As my late great grandmother would say..."it's LOADED"!

Bluebottle likes this.