Yellow 1978 308 right hand drive dry sump | FerrariChat

Yellow 1978 308 right hand drive dry sump

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Richb308, Nov 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richb308

Richb308 Rookie

Nov 5, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Batchelor
    Hi, new to site. Does anyone have any idea how many of these cars were produced. I am nearing the end of quite a traumatic rebuild and was interested as they seem relatively rare.
    Also i am getting contradictory advice on whether the boot spoiler was an option at the time of manufacture. It looks original. Thx
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Daytonafan, miurasv and daytona355 like this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    looks good Richard.
    Any info or pics of the rebuild?

3. Richb308

Richb308 Rookie

Nov 5, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Batchelor
    The rebuild was quite extensive as the first people to start the job made a complete mess of it. Dont have many pictures as they bring back bad memories! It was a full engine out bare metal job. It was red when i purchased it, but the chassis number related to a yellow car, so thats what it was restored to. Its the colour that i am interested in finding out about.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Looks stunning!

I can’t help but I know somebody who might who has a yellow vetroresina. Check out the “south west cars and coffee” thread below.

He might be out this Sunday to Haynes, I’ll ask him if I see him.

where you based?

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Beautiful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Richb308

Richb308 Rookie

Nov 5, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Batchelor
    Warwickshire, would be interested in any info on the car, thanks.

7. MBPaki

MBPaki Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    TURIN
    Full Name:
    Miki Bellagarda

Serial Number?
    Grazie, ciao, Miki-Paki.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome: the spoiler is I think a post-production addition but there are several discussions in the 308 section and the build quantity is posted in an extensive thread elsewhere - if you haven't already Tony Willis at the Maranello Archive should be able to sell you copies of original information about your car

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I believe there were 211 RHD steel 308 GTBs made and supplied new to the UK, of which, I think 18 were originally yellow but there are only 5 yellow RHD currently registered in the UK.

As stated above, if you contact Tony Willis (PM me for contact info if you need it) he can confirm the original spec of your car and supply copies of the documentation for a small charge.

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Dear Richard

That car looks really lovely.

It is my opinion that both the front and rear spoilers were not available until later and that no fibreglass 308 had them from new.

Is your front clip fibreglass ? It has the much later type side indicator repeaters, which could have come on a later replacement.

I am sure you know the centre line down the car should be black. I seen to recall it was tape originally, and semi/matt paint is now a better option. Only on the vertical.

Would also love to know which car this is ? Started in this business when the late 308's were still new, so might have some history or have touched it along the way.

Congratulations for the heart ache. They are TERRIFIC cars.

Mark

11. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    #11 SJP 5, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020

12. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    Sorry,eyes may have let me down on.closer inspection.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Greetings to all!

As the 512 Boxer had the rear spoiler in the '76 -77 time frame, some of the early 308 show cars exhibited the option.

For myself only, my 1976 #20405, and 1977 #22127, and 22641, only the last one came equipped with it, and It had been trapped on the showroom, in the first Oil Embargo, so it's all but impossible to tell without documentation, usually lost at this point, the presence of the rear lid spoiler.

Certainly by the 1978 time frame it would have been readily available as both Factory option (IMO) or a dealer installed "extra"..

The black lower "Boxer Trim" falls into the same No Man's Land, as it rarely shows on any kind of invoicing and would certainly be easy enough to do as a "tape and spray" at the dealership.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hard to see in the shadows of that photo, but gather a look at the front "Nerf Bar" on my car, goes right into a very solid frame rail mounting, right thru the valence.

Never seen another, but it does come in handy so mixed feelings of taking it off.
    Probably.....someday.....although I have bounced some 5 gallon plastic paint buckets off of it, that were trashed in the motorway.