458 - NEW 458 Infotaiment system (upgrade) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458 NEW 458 Infotaiment system (upgrade)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gagoha

gagoha Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    Ferrari Switz is quoting 4500chf for this upgrade. I want to see a youtube video of anyone who has done this upgrade but there is no such photos or videos. Like to see if it is worth this money.

The email sent said "
    Fully integrated into the car, it allows you to take advantage of all the original features while maintaining the ergonomics of the original controls and, using an additional touch pad perfectly integrated on the central tunnel, use the advanced functions available.

It also incorporates the latest 3D navigation, an HDMI input, a USB input, the Bluetooth connection and the possibility of connecting the latest generation smartphones, to guarantee the driver and his passenger an even more enjoyable experience while driving."

HDMI input? so we can watch a movie whilst blasting down the Autobahn!

2. gagoha

gagoha Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    Ferrari Switz is quoting 4500chf for this upgrade. I want to see a youtube video of anyone who has done this upgrade but there is no such photos or videos. Like to see if it is worth this money.

The email sent said "
    Fully integrated into the car, it allows you to take advantage of all the original features while maintaining the ergonomics of the original controls and, using an additional touch pad perfectly integrated on the central tunnel, use the advanced functions available.

It also incorporates the latest 3D navigation, an HDMI input, a USB input, the Bluetooth connection and the possibility of connecting the latest generation smartphones, to guarantee the driver and his passenger an even more enjoyable experience while driving."

HDMI input? so we can watch a movie whilst blasting down the Autobahn!

3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is the upgrade I had installed, the sound works through an fm transmitter so kills the package
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi All,

Just had a chat with my dealer and it seems the detailed feedback has been taken well and truly on board

An update is in the works to make this system function as it should and hopefully will be ready soon for testing.

They have said I will be the first to know about the updated system so I will post news as soon as I hear

tekaefixe, Avia11, stevdug and 2 others like this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s great news, Pete. Very proactive and professional attitude from your dealer, and very nice of you indeed to keep us posted. Will be looking forward to it.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Avia11 and Ash Patel like this.
  6. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Agree with Nuno, thanks a a lot for keeping us posted!

7. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Agree with Ash and Nuno, this is great and I very much thank you for keeping all of us in the loop.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

Thanx Pete,

Please ask also for some photos of the installing proces.

Can it also been done DIY ?

:)

9. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I really don't think diy is possible, as far as I understand it's hugely involved, headliner comes out to put antenna in, centre console come out to put the touch pad in, various components are installed being the glove box and then the car needs a proxy to tell it the option has been installed so I think it's a dealer only upgrade

daflk likes this.
  10. gpwengineer

gpwengineer Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    I had the infortainment upgrade installed. It is a mix bag really. Yes, the audio is via FM (radio), but if you setup the bass, treble and mid settings correctly, the sound is not too bad. Keep in mind that the Ferrari 458 audio system is not the greatest to begin with. Only UK maps is supported on the unit I purchased. I have no idea when other maps will become available. The font used on the infotainment is a little small and cheapens the look of the upgrade (think of MS-DOS in the 90s). Graphics is not much better. A2DP works great, but no artwork is displayed when streaming spotify from phone to the unit. Bluetooth works great. Rear view camera works great for those who didn't spec a rear view camera originally. The HDMI can be used to "cast" your phone screen onto the display which is quite nice although Ferrari could have considered upgrading the system with a new screen with a higher resolution.

So to summarise... the unit is massively overpriced. I did a similar upgrade to my Mercedes GLS500 and the results was much better due to the use of Android interface on a high resolution screen. I felt Ferrari could have done the same (used android or iOS)considering the price. So, Ferrari has repackaged a really cheap infotainment system upgrade...but if you want an upgrade on the stock infotainment system without voiding the warranty, there isn't much of a choice. Nice idea, but poorly executed. Money could have been better spent on some new wheels or pieces of carbon fibre.

11. jbswiss

jbswiss Rookie

Aug 10, 2015
    Genève
    Thanks for the info, what a shame

12. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    any updates

13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No updates as of yet, will defo post when I hear anything

jem890 and Ash Patel like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you for sharing. Any more impressions?

15. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes please load us up with details like sound and how it interfaces, cost of unit and install, ease of use etc..

16. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ahh sorry I see your earlier post now. Thank you

17. gpwengineer

gpwengineer Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Unit installation is definitely not a DIY and needs to be installed by Ferrari Dealership. Installation was just under $750. Unit retails for over $3500. I am hoping Ferrari rolls out an update of sorts to fix the issues mentioned in my previous post.

18. SCHUMS2000

SCHUMS2000 Rookie

Apr 25, 2017
    Same story here...the dealer is still working on it. They did not even know that the sound comes from radio transmission. If you have a look on the system, which is the same you can find for other brands, you will see that the bluetooth sound connection is enabled with Audi and BMW for audio streamings. It means that it is possible. They just have to update their product for Ferrari. It s just a shame they did not do it before.

Ash Patel likes this.
  19. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    This looks soooo cheap. Such a shame Ferrari obviously has ZERO interest in people updating models that are not in production anymore. They should have left it with that instead of offering this poor and overpriced unit.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ck10022, daflk and Boomhauer like this.
  20. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Has this been updated at all, anything new?

21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    wow the pics you posted with the graphics on the system look like graphics circa 2008 , good idea stripping that entire system back out..even the touch pad imo looks cheap.

22. dtmclk

dtmclk Rookie

Sep 4, 2011
    No CarPlay integration ?

23. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nothing yet, tbh they should have withdrawn it from sale, it's defo not production ready and it's just really bad customer experience to fork out this cash and have a system working on an interface from the 90's

Rory breaker likes this.
  24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    All sound is through fm transmitter, it's a disaster