430 - Identify Mk2 Headers (Gen2 Headers) | FerrariChat

430 Identify Mk2 Headers (Gen2 Headers)

Discussion in '360/430' started by West Point, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    Is it possible to identify if an F430 has had it headers changed from Mk1 to Mk2? I have searched FChat and have found that very question buried in other threads - but no answer.

I did find one owner who said that the Mk2 headers would have part numbers:

EM-WUC 131E-L
    EM-WUC 131E-L

Does anyone know when F430’s were supplied new with Mk2 headers?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    I sourced an answer out with this thread but thought to post it here just for good measure. As I understand it the Mk2 headers (some call them Gen 2 or manifolds) were installed as standard from VIN number 157672 (last six digits) onwards, which I think is late 2007.

3. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Hi All - first post. Have there been any known issues with the Mk2 manifolds? Are most of you switching for headers or some other system?

4. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    My originals were replaced under warranty with Mk2's, but four years later they have cracked. I'm going with aftermarket, haven't decided which just yet.

5. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    There are many posts on this and other Ferrari forums regarding the failure of Mk1 headers and, all be it less, posts about the failure of Mk2 headers. Mk2 headers seem to have been fitted as standard from 2008 onwards. There are however very few posts about header failure actually damaging the engine, catastrophic though that would be, few report that actually happening.

So, I guess those still with original OEM headers must weigh the odds of the cost (and sound / performance enhancement) against the risk of sticking with original headers until (if) they fail ?

For completeness, some also advocate fitting aftermarket (sprung) brackets to protect your original headers from failure.

6. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    I now believe that Mk1 headers have part numbers

EM-WUC 131E-L
    EM-WUC 131E-L

... while Mk2 headers have part numbers

EM-WUC 131E-L01
    EM-WUC 131E-L01

7. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Are there any other signs to look for to tell if the headers are about to fail instead of waiting for them to crack?

8. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    From what I have read on FChat if your headers are cracked then the heat shield will become discolored, the white insulation may be blowing out of the heat shield and you may hear a "ticking" noise from that side of the engine. Others talk of doing a smoke test and / or using a borescope, both of which I imagine require a bit of dismantling the exhaust.

This forum mainly references header failures, but I wonder what the experience is for Mk1 headers not failing? i.e.how many miles can they go (and perhaps are still going) without failure ?