The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    If that’s what you think will make you look ‘cool’ and help you get over the fact you’ve settled for second best then good for you.

Dicecal, Philipnz, one4torque and 2 others like this.
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Say what ???

Of the three cars in comparison the only one that immediately is identifyable as a supercar is the Enzo.
    Stunning. Breathtaking.
    Have you ever seen one in the flesh ?

Covette looks like a Corvette once again.
    With a clean slate they could have done anything.
    Design by comittee.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes my neighbor had one for while. i find its proportions very awkward. only car more awkward is the mc12 version.

agree c8 design by committee but it had to be that way. just like it had to look like previous vettes. same that porsche has to look like predecessors. customers demand that

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Anyone know if this will be built with a GPF ,particularly for Europe/Uk/ROW ?

5. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Like are you seriously saying you don’t like the design of the Enzo.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Mind blown

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I don't either. To me it looks like a car with perfect proportions but with lines drawn by a robot with no capacity for aesthetic appreciation.

95spiderman likes this.
  8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think enzo is an ugly ferrari which might seem strange but super models can be ugly too. Do not like long over hanging nose or c pillar. And rear end seems like it's missing its wing. Looks too much like an insect overall. I'll accept that in my elise but not supercar. Would love to drive it though

Dewinator likes this.
  9. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The days of creating a stunning body design then fitting it to chassis are long gone, now it's all about shrink wrapping a body around the tech, sometimes car companies don't get it right, IMHO.

To me the Enzo was function over form, much like the Mclaren Senna, Speedtail. Looks wise, never did much for me, but I have deep appreciation for the technology that created them.

MB

flat_plane_eddie and 95spiderman like this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Which has me pondering, is there a chance a high end sports car company could sell a completely de-tech-ed. car? Would a vast departure from the tech laden cars of today be a selling point? Now of course I'm not talking safety stuff or other things like Navigation systems or other advantages that don't intervene in the driving of the car.
    Could a car company make a car with analog gauges, good old fashion non electronic devices that control everything to the extent of running everything through an ECU, TCU, etc. Would enough folks feel like the connection and control of the car are worth more to them than tech controls?

I owned a lot of sports cars. I still own a few that cross over into various categories. I find with the non tech cars, I really don't miss it. I don't find myself longing for tech controls and tech "advantages" that I have in some cars.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    noble, radical, Gordon murray, caterham, etc try it but its only a tiny niche. like turntables in a streaming audio world. btw, why is it always he british?

12. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I actually respect your position - albeit from a "to each his own" perspective. Personally, I've found the "fun factor" of my 360 trumps the performance of the faster Vettes. But, that is simply my view.

KC360 FL likes this.
  13. Mazzie1983

Mazzie1983 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Caleb Ross
    The C8 will certainly pull away Ferrari buyers. Anyone who's owned a decent amount of cars in their life eventually realizes you buy a car that makes you happy. If you can afford a 488/458 the C8 isn't on your radar.
    However if you cant have more than 1 sports car in your family and have a budget of up to 100,000 dollars, you are cross shopping a lot of cars for the best combination of daily usability and performance for your tolerances.

Until the C8 came along, you went with porsche if you leaned toward practicality, and Ferrari if you cared less about the higher maintenance and lower comfort in favor of the raw experience.

But with the C8 you now can get crazier numbers than a lot if used Porsches in the price range, and crazier numbers than the used Ferraris in that range with lower maintence and a lot of daily comforts. And the car is new, and you can select your options to customize it. If you can only have one sports car, this sounds like a winner.

The only people left in the used Ferrari market will now be those who want the experience. The stiff chassis, high maintence, paranoia about scratching it, trying to preserve it by only driving it on good days isn't something you're up for if you just want to jump in it and drive it and go really, really fast.

14. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

If you had spent more time on this forum and other F-car social media you would see all the people that are making posts about their recently purchased F430s and 360s which effectively and objectively counters your theory.

I didn't seem to notice the new ZO6 C7 affect the used F12, 599, 612, or even Ferrari California Market...at all.

Robb and randkin like this.
  15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the front engine cars dont really compare. c7 vette, f12, vantage, etc, are really separate. its the mid engine cars that are comparable just because mid engine is unique in and of itself.

16. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    had the 360 sold it last month and will be getting the c8.fun car but just want a car you can get in and go fast without worrying of depreciation, reliability,and high maintenance cost.yes the vette will depreciate but not in the first 2-3 years and when it does will be selling that for the new c8r flat plain crank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    They will depreciate big time like all vettes, don’t fool yourself. Discounts off MSRP within a year.

Solid State, Robb, randkin and 2 others like this.
  18. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think you are absolutely making the right choice for yourself. If you're looking for a tool to go fast, then there you go. If you are looking for an experience; an occasion; a style; a feeling of being in and enjoying something truly special, then you keep the Ferrari.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either choice! I wouldn't make your choice, just as you haven't made mine.

Kevin

randkin, VAF84 and brookliner7 like this.
  19. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    This is very accurate. Worth a repeat :)

Robb, VAF84 and kes7u like this.
  20. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    just like my 04 360 depreciated from a msrp 175k .but not paying half of that on a new c8.you cant compare depreciation values.and the best bang for the buck on the c8.

21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This thread is regarding C8 vs Ferrari sales. And you can't buy a new 360 or 430. So you are buying a used car which will suffer substantially slower depreciation than a brand new C8.

Kevin

22. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    for me its all about the product for me its called reliability! my Ferrari had all of what the c8 will have except reliability and maintenance cost.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have a 360 and want a C8. I'd rather have a 612 or and FF beside the 360, TBH, but after restoring two Ferraris to be reliable, I'm not sure I'm in the mood for another Ferrari.

The C8 will be reliable and cheap to service. If I wait a couple of years, they will be cheap as dirt compared to the used Ferraris I like.

I can't be the only one who thinks this way.

New Ferrari buyers are a different animal. I can't really relate to them at all.

randkin likes this.
  24. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    my 360 depreciated as soon as the c8 came out.

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    why would anyone buy a c8? just lease it for 3 yrs, beat it up and dont worry about anything including depreciation. thats one of the main reasons to get one over a used ferrari that cant be leased and has a high level of stress ownership if you plan on using it for something more than a cars and coffee queen