Slight lean... | FerrariChat

Slight lean...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greatscott73, Nov 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I recently changed out a bunch of worn parts on the front end of my 87 Cab (Ball joints, control arm bushings) and since finishing the job, the car seems to have a slight lean to the right side. It isn't terrible, maybe 3/8 inch from side to side, but just enough to catch your eye. I was quite fastidious about making sure all of the numerous and plentiful shims and spacers went back where they came from, and the car does drive better with the new parts, but this lean is driving me nuts. Any ideas?
    By the way, only broke the spring/shock combo loose from the lower control arm. Never removed it from top mount. This is the old style setup, not the newer "dial a spring" adjustable units.
    TIA for any assistance.

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If you're like me and many others its best to drive your Ferrari alone, that way there's no screaming from the significant other or weight penalty of a passenger. So with just you in the car it should be level right? Or are we mixed up on right and left sides?

3. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Haha, no, it seems to be leaning to the passenger side.

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Maybe loosen all the bolts of your front arms when the car is sitting normal on the floor, then fasten them again...
    Guido

5. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I used the Energy Suspension inserts without the outside metal sleeve, which are supposed to be self leveling, but your idea is certainly worth a try. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

6. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Check the folks that secure the front lower A-arms to the chassis. You may have reinstalled them upside down?

7. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That actually was my first suspicion, but after checking them they all appear to be installed the same way. Either all 4 are upside down, or all 4 are correct, lol.

8. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott

9. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Since driving the car a bit over the weekend, it seems to be leveling itself out. Maybe some of those self leveling bushings are just slower than the others, lol.

MvT and theunissenguido like this.