328 seat restoration-pittsburgh area | FerrariChat

328 seat restoration-pittsburgh area

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by bill brooks, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i am considering having the seats in my '87 328 gts restored down to the frame. they are very hard and the leather is no longer supple. i prefer to find a firm in surrounding pittsburgh to facilitate pick/up and delivery. also a firm who can do an orthodic re-build to minimize sciatic pain.
    i've read some articles here describing this project and it appears to be possible, but only by someone with
    the skills necessary to form and re-sculpt new urethane or a more modern seat padding technology.
    needless to say, a firm who can source the correct leather/dye and tooling to emboss the cavillino on the
    headrests to make the restoration as authentic as possible.
    anyone out there had this type of work done or witnessed a factory-quality end result?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  3. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

thanks matt. guiseppi just finished my major. i also used the detailer at forza motorcars to detail gabriella. my first impression was: SHE"S BRAND NEW!!
    we may take a run up to butler in the near future.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Giuseppe is the man. He works on my 308.

Premiere Upholstery is to interiors what Giuseppe is to Ferrari engines.

They did my leather seats in my 61 Corvette and they came out beautifully.

While I was picking them up a guy was there that had driven from New Mexico for their work.

Matt

5. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    what I discovered about tan leather is that it does NOT fade uniformly! I now have a multitude of "colors" in my car that I NEVER noticed until repairing/replacing some leather. Then you discover NOTHING matches! It never will, unless you replace it all. You likely have leather that has never seen the sun, under the seat, front of the seat, top of the seat, back of the seat, etc. None of it matches. And now you replace some of it with new, that matches the original new?

I don't think you can buy "faded". It would have to be dyed.

Doesn't matter when your eye sees a car for, it usually accepts it as is (unless it's really funky or trained to look for something). I have had my car since 1995 and I had no idea none of the leather matched, doors, seats, dash, armrest, boot cover, etc.

Despite how much it pisses me off, nobody seems to notice unless I point it out. But it bothers me every time I look at it! I look at my other red/tan car and it is exactly the same way. I wish I could have seen it new, I will always wonder how close it all matched originally...

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Even new leather/textiles are not typically the exact same color. Manufacturers have what is referred to as dye lots to track the corresponding production run which allows exact matching when possible. I know in the case of older Newport Pagnell built Aston Martins it was tracked (leather) specifically to the car. In my case when I inquired with the factory they stated they still had (as of 2010) the specific roll of leather for my interior based on build sheet information.

7. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    How can I get in touch with Guiseppe? I tried to contact Frank V. but he did not respond.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Giuseppe floats from place to place.

He did work on my 308 at Bellasario’s Auto Body in south South Oakland.

Matt