Can a tall person fit in a F8'./458./488? | FerrariChat

Can a tall person fit in a F8'./458./488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Astrid.Didier, Nov 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Can a tall person fit in a F8'./458./488 without having the seat all the way back?

2. will89

will89 Karting

Dec 29, 2013
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Will
    It depends how you define 'Tall'.

I am 1m96 (6,4 ish). I fit in most variations (coupes/spiders) rather comfortably (obviously seat all the way back, lowest settings) but the sports models is where it gets tricky. I've had to get the dealer to lower the factory seats (body shop custom job) in my Pista because the seat lifter raised the height enough to not be comfortable. Forget about fitting in it with a helmet on for the track by the way. It works for 1-2 laps but it really is not a pleasant experience at all.
    You always have the option of getting the seats directly bolted onto the floor which saves an additional 5 centimeters ish but that should really only be needed if you are 2m+ and means that no one else can really drive your car since the seat settings are 'locked'.
    It also depends on body shapes, I am thankfully fairly proportioned (legs are not carrying most of the height proportion) which would play a role.

Either way, there are options possible that the dealer can accommodate for us giants.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  3. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Thank you.

4. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    187 cm

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Nba player can drive Ferrari. You should be safe.

6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Your proportions matter. I am 6'3" (191cm) and I fit just fine and can squeeze in a helmet for track days with the CF racing seats lowered to the bottom position. However, I'm almost all legs with a pretty short torso. If I was more evenly distributed, I couldn't do track days. (and this may hold for everyone, but left foot braking isn't possible for me in the 458. There isn't room for my legs and feet as the pedals are too close together.)

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Shooting guards and point guards, sure. Posts and power forwards... I don’t know if they do fit. People over 2 meters in height (>6’5’’) have trouble fitting in comfortably in any car.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    not to a huracan spyder but definitely you'll be fine with a f8 or 488. 458 may feel a bit compressed though. seats matter.

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It definitely depends on how “fit” is defined. I am 6’6” and while I do not / have not own/owned any of those cars, I did do Corso Pilota at Road Atlanta two summers ago and spent significant time in a 488 with a helmet on. As mentioned before, proportions matter, but how bad you want to fit probably matters even more.

10. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm 6'5", 240ish, and long in the torso. Even with the size (L) CF racing seats set at their lowest setting and the seat pushed all the way back, it's a tight fit with the tops up in my 360 and 458 spiders; I can drive them for a short distance, but that's all. I fit well in my F12.

Mike

Thecadster and Astrid.Didier like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Generally speaking, anybody over 185 is much better suited with the CF seats. The electric seats sit you very high in general. I'm 181 with regular proportions, and in a 488/458 with standard/electric seats I feel as if I'm almost looking at the windshield frame. With CF seats WITHOUT a lifter, it's a lot better for sure. And if you ever think of fitting someone of taller statue in the passenger seat, legroom gets really tight with the big and thick standard/electric seats. The slim and low CF seats is the right option, especially for a Spider.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I wouldn't worry about fitting in the car.

If you're only at that stage, you obviously haven't event sat in the car.

Much less driven the car.

How do you know you want one?

Matt

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure I agree. A couple years back, I bought my first Ferrari, a F12, after having sat in one for about a minute. I declined the test drive and wrote my check. Later, I ordered my current 812 without sitting in it or test driving it. Once again, I am 6’6” 260lbs, but I knew that where this a will, there is a way.

14. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The passenger seat, yes

15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I test drove a 488...for around 30 minutes. I’m 6’5” 235lbs. I fit but not as well as I fit in my Porsche GT3. I feel more in the car in the GT3 and more on top of the car in the 488. The 488 had electric base seats with the Daytona pattern. The dead pedal, big hump where left foot goes is not comfortable.

I am curious if the Race seats with manual lifter with lower? I have not found a 488 with race seats to sit in yet.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes definitely lower.....I couldn't deal with the lack of headroom on the electrics which is essentially why I went the race seats and in a way just as well because they are more comfortable and supportive overall.....also look better. The padding under the butt in the electrics and race seats are equally miserly really.

Overall the ergonomics and headroom are noticeably better in the Gt P car than the 488. Pity really but you do get used to the 488 ergonomics pretty quickly.

mdrums and Astrid.Didier like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The CF race seats are much lower. Yes, you do tend to sit on the car in a 488 with electric seats. The CF seat back is also thinner which means that you can move the seats further back thus creating more room.

When it comes to seat height, it has been an issue with Ferrari for years. Not sure if it's what remains of a time when the cars were built for 165 cm short Italian guys. Have a seat in a Testarossa. Back then that was how it was. If move far enough back to sit properly with your legs, you need Orangutang arms to reach the steering wheel for instance lol. Maybe the high seats is the last thing Ferrari needs to fix to get fully contemporary.

18. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    For 165 cm short guys, probably for the Chinese market ! A big “hahaaaa”-.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I sat in a McLaren 570 and felt the same way. I loved everything about it,

And then I drove it. And was underwhelmed.

Matt

Thecadster likes this.
  20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am 6'3" and evenly distributed torso and legs but I have long arms. I barely fit in the Daytona seats which I have. There is headroom with the top up but not much, I drive with the top down mostly anyway. At the track I have to scrunch down to have a helmet on and the top up, it's uncomfortable but OK for 20 minutes at a time. I have driven the car for as long as an hour at a time and it's not comfortable on longer drives. I wouldn't want to drive it between say Austin - Houston or Austin - Dallas. For the kind of driving I do in it, it's just fine though.

When I get in the car I have to flex my body to fit in it, you can't just drop into the car easily. It's definitely a tight fit and it helps to be flexible, if not, you might not like getting in and out of the car much less sitting in it.

21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m 6’4 and I fit in my 458 Spider with no problem.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Which seats do you have?

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i have daytona seats in my 458. i am 6'2" and i fit fine. when i go to the track and put a helmet on i have to scrunch down a bit to fit but i'm doing some serious white-knuckle driving so its the last thing on my mind

24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    With race seats in my 488 GTB at 6'0" I fit just fine, but while wearing a cap if I turn my head left a bit the brim will hit part of the roof (in other words not as much space as I expected, or with a helmet maybe snug)

In my 911 it feels like I could be 7 feet tall and still have ample headroom

I will say Ferrari's race seats are bar none the most comfortable seat in a car I've ever experienced, and would not own an Fcar without them personally. YMMV

Thecadster likes this.
  25. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike