Bye, bye, Autoweek! | FerrariChat

Bye, bye, Autoweek!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Gatorrari, Nov 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was rather shocked when the Nov. 4 issue of Autoweek arrived in my mailbox today with the headline "The Last Issue". Indeed it is, as they are moving to be an online magazine only.

My relationship with the publication has been on-off. I first began receiving it in 1972 after the demise of Auto Racing magazine, and that was extended after the demise of Formula/Racecar magazine. Back then it was a true weekly and came in newspaper format, which took up a lot of space. I kept those issues but eventually they got stuffed in a carton somewhere. I was quite happy when they transitioned to a magazine format in 1986, which made the publication much easier to keep.

However, I had mainly continued to subscribe for the auto racing coverage; the rest was unnecessary since I had been a Road & Track subscriber since 1968 and got all the info on road cars that I needed from it. But by the '90s, racing coverage on TV had increased to the extent that I really didn't need Autoweek, so I dropped it. But I occasionally looked at a copy on the newsstand and decided to re-subscribe about 5 years ago because I found that their articles seemed livelier and fresher than the monthlies. I was glad that they had switched to a bi-weekly format, since I have no time now for weeklies.

And now, it's over. I will probably cancel the remainder of my subscription, because I cannot stand digital books or magazines. I get a few club newsletters monthly in digital format, but I can tolerate those. And I refuse to get a book-reader; like a lot of people I prefer holding a book in my hands when I'm reading it, and that goes for magazines as well. I think that Autoweek is making a big mistake, but that's just my opinion, and my life will be fine without it.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. 1guy

1guy Rookie

May 25, 2014
    kansas city
    Full Name:
    bill
    I've been reading/subscribing to Aut oweek since 1966. Back all those years it really was a hands on weekly, racing news from around the world. Their classifieds would make you cry today. I still have years of the old paper issues and love to look at them at times. Sad, but I dropped them years ago when it got to be a Detroit/ new car central. Lots of good memories. Bye bye.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Luddites unite!

Someday Ferrari will no longer make a na V8 engine. Can you imagine.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Same here. My parents sent it to me every week while I was in Vietnam. I think I let my subscription lapse about 20 years ago....

McCluggage, Carlson, Mandel....all those other great writers.

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    No loss. It's been toilet paper for decades.

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Started subscribing in mid 1970s. When they went bi-weekly... I subscribed on & off, and then finally dropped it a few years ago, and have not missed it since it just morphed too far away from what it used to be. For too long there has been too little of any interest in it for me, and I will never subscribe on line, not even for free. Too many publications on line now, not enough time, and many are just not any good, plus I prefer a real magazine in my hands, and as it is... I only maintain a few regular subscriptions now.

tuttebenne and 375+ like this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great classifieds back in the day.

But it’s reached the end of its natural lifespan.

Matt

jjmalez likes this.
  9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Seems to be the trend/wave with most newsprint.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I haven't read it in decades but used to devour it in the 1970s--especially the classifieds and Pete Lyons F1 reports(usually weeks later). I have a friend who bought a TdF sight unseen in the classifieds for $5000, another bought a LWB California for pennies . . .

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I wrote a few articles for them but they were hopeless, very badly organized, the bureaucracy to get paid by them here in Europe was a joke. The office staff could not conceive that someone would live and be taxed in a "furrin" country.

Editorial decisions were a joke.

The only good guy and a good funny writer in that bunch is Mark Vaughn.

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Autoweek is just like Road & Track, full of adverts for 'the' rubber mats and dog bowls. Sold out to the highest bidder.
    Tradition has gone down the bowl of what used to be the 2 mags, to rags. Even 'Vicky Vette' disappeared from the AW adverts.
    All they sell is trash there...snake oyl.

Regards, Alberto

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A shame...but I bought a handful of back issues at Half Price and they took about 30 minutes, each to binge read them!!

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    And therein lies the problem. I too used to subscribe before it merged with Competition Press. I once had a car featured in "Escape Road"; but it got to the point where fifteen minutes after the magazine arrived, I was done with it. Hardly got much from it as they morphed into 4wd and trucks. Occasionally a friend will forward something from their on-line edition and most of the time, there are mistakes and just flat wrong information. It hasn't been missed for a while.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Auto Week served its purpose but now that purpose is gone. When I was a kid my dad used to get Competition Press and then it was Auto week. I loved that - it could sustain me for a week or more. The classifides were the best. there used to be a guy Satch Carlson.. I think that was great writer.. .but I think he got in some trouble with underage girls or something.... he was gone and never heard from again. Chris Economaki who I did not really like on TV was THE guy with racing.

My dad stopped autoweek last year... it was a pathetic magazine ...I don't know who it was being produced for?

to me right now there are just three car magazines left:
    1. Motorsport
    2. Car
    3. Octane

Automobile sport and Magneto are good but not sure how long they will last. I like some Forza's and some Enzo's... if Motorsport goes bust... it will be a sad sad day.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Satch Carlson became the editor of BMWCCA Roundel, I believe.

17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    sounds right...

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Road & Track isn't as good as it used to be, but I've been a subscriber since 1968 and that hasn't changed. With Automobile also biting the dust, its U.S. competition is now just Car & Driver and Motor Trend.

The other U.S. magazines I get regularly are Forza, Racer and Collectible Automobile. On the import side I only get Enzo regularly, but I'll buy MotorSport, Magneto and Automobilsport if I like the content of a particular issue.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I read it for years also, but I really never loved it when it went from tabloid size to magazine size. The classified section was a wish list/dreamers delight for me as was the Sunday NYTs auto classified in the back of Arts & Leisure.

I actually thought it was gone several years ago. There are only a couple brit pubs that are worth reading and I don't even do that anymore.

20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Snatch Carlson is still around?

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t know where he is now.

22. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Satch is editor of the BMW club magazine Roundel. He lives in Southern California and drives a Z8 I believe. Long way from Alaska. He’s still a joy to read your

23. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    The very best car magazine of all time was, and is, a Japanese magazine called Car Graphic magazine. Why do I call it the best in the world?

1.) Lots of pages. 150-200 pages.
    2) Glossy paper. Heavy and thick.
    3.) Best photos of car in any car magazine. Period. Pure artwork in some of the shots.
    4.) Very, very few ads. Usually a dozen full page tastefullly done ads.
    5.) There is a section at rear of mag, cheaper paper-newsprint style-that focuses on local Japanese car clubs and small adverts. Nice break in mag.
    6.) Really extensive, intensive articles. And if there is a special technical feature in a car-say a unique power steering system-that is highlighted. And then the next article in the magazine is about the company that did that special bit of equipment. In depth technical article on company and technology. No other mag does that.
    7.) Special articles on older cars. Will do an article on all Datsun/Nissan Z cars, as an example.
    8.) Very fancy, high end ad inserts. Usually a separate "mini mag" covering watches, clothing, liquor, hones, electronics. Reviews on all of these things. And some very limited adverts. Basically a "lifestyle" mag insert.
    9.) And much else.

Downside?

1.) Cost: $20-$25 per magazine. (Though it is really a softback book)
    2.) Japanese language only.

I have tried to become the US publisher of the magazine. Get it translated, add some US content, remove the back "Japanese" only section, etc. Tough sell in this market as nobody thinks a "new" car magazine will succeed. The publishers in Japan want this to happen and I have the rights to do this. Problem is I design road and race cars. The magazine business is not my forte. Anybody out there ave any experience in this area?

Ak Jim likes this.