car design thread | Page 367 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    What is the story on this Chrysler? In house creation or one of the coachbuilders?

2. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Wall out of Philadelphia. Done in period. Use have been a sight in the middle of the depression

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Details????

4. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I am not an authority on this car everything i am saying is what I have been told. There were at least two of these cars made the one in the photo had it;s chassis lengthened the other was body, top and windshield mods. they were both done in period to 1931 Chrysler CG roadsters. very wild and cool things. the one in the photo above was eventually put back to factory specs a while ago. the cars have interesting history as they have been written as Lebaron cars - Derham cars - New York City Show cars - but on the rear of this photo is says Wall body they were out of Chestnut Hill/Philadelphia Pa. so the debate goes on.

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Peter's Rant this week. He does miss the point that the designers design what senior management wants to see and ultimately approves. If the organization wants clean, cohesive designs then they need to be asking for that and choosing it for development. If that "management" says one thing but keeps selecting and developing more of the same then their actions prove what they really want.

Interesting discussion about a return to sedans. Likely some truth to a generational change that the kids as they get older don't want what their parents had as they grew up. Similar in many ways to us now - no station wagons like our parents had (but a jacked up station wagon as an SUV/crossover is OK)

OH, PENDULUM, WHERE ART THOU?
    [​IMG]Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 08:47AM
    By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. As we rush headlong into the unknown with this electrification thing, and the corrupt union management thing, and another round of the subprime loans thing, the thing that bothers me most right now is the degradation of design that continues to play out before our eyes. As I’ve said repeatedly in this column, as we go forward with similar electrified propulsion systems, design’s role as the Ultimate Initial Product Differentiator will become even more important. After all, if the whisper-jet power systems rely on artificially-tuned sounds, the only thing left to create brand character are the exterior designs themselves.

Compelling, beautiful design lures people in; it’s what makes people look and want to see more, and ultimately buy. Which is why I am more than a little concerned with where we are today with design. A quick tour of the latest "electrified" designs coming from auto manufacturers is frankly scary. Why? Everything looks alike. And the vehicles making their way around the American landscape are too often predictable, boring and uninteresting. I get the fact that we’re living in an all-SUV-all-the-time world, but it’s getting ridiculous out there. Here are a few examples of what electrification has wrought:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(Mercedes-Benz)

The 2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC. It doesn't exactly scream "Mercedes," does it?

(Audi)

The 2020 Audi E-Tron. Q5-inspired? Ugh.

(Infiniti)

The Infiniti Q Inspiration and Qs Inspiration forecast the brand’s new design strategy. We Can Wait.

(Nissan)

The Nissan Ariya Concept. We Can Wait, Part II.

(Ford)

And Ford has teased its concept for a “Mustang-inspired” electrified SUV that has been dubbed Mach-E although everyone in the automotive world hopes that this is not the final name. (Please say it isn’t so, Ford.) And "Mustang-inspired"? It sounds more than a little depressing frankly, but we'll classify it as a giant "we'll see" for now and leave it at that.

So, what the hell is going on out there? Even the future-look concepts are SUV/Crossover things that are as inspiring to look at as the cereal aisle at the grocery store. Check that, actually the cereal aisle has more vision and imagination in their box designs than I’m seeing in these rolling monuments to mediocrity. The easy explanation is that consumers are all the way gone for SUV/Crossovers. They’ve decided that they're more useful and more convenient to get in and out of, so, end of story. As in, why bother with anything else? And it’s clear that the design houses at the various automakers have pretty much given in to that reality.

Or is it? There’s a growing trend among younger car buyers when it comes to cars – at least the ones who haven’t entered the “having kids” stage – that indicates that the desire for sedans is coming back. It’s the old “we’d rather not drive what our parents drove” chestnut rearing its head.

Is it real? It’s too early to tell. (Full disclosure: a local couple took over the lease on my Alfa Romeo Stelvio. I am now driving a sedan.) The sameness of the SUV/Crossover Hell we’re living in right now is undeniable. The suburban slog around here is populated with massive pickup trucks and SUV/Crossovers. Audi? BMW? Cadillac? Mercedes-Benz? Porsche? Ford? Chevrolet? GMC? Buick? Does it really matter? They’re all variations on the same SUV/Crossover theme; they run together in a blur of alleged practicality – and hugeness – that has grown to be mind-numbing and relentlessly tedious. That’s why when a car like a Challenger or a Corvette rumbles by, or even a crisply executed sedan appears out of the blue, it’s almost a revelation.

Will the pendulum ever swing back? I am out there looking for it right now, but given the projected designs I am seeing for the Electrification Age I am more than a little concerned. Designers around the globe appear to be stuck in neutral designing variations on the rolling box theme, shifting a line here, playing with the greenhouse there and coming up with basically the same damn thing.

How uninspiring is that?

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^. That grill! Ugh! Looks like the engineers designed for too much air flow and somebody closed off half the frontal area with silver duct tape. :eek:

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    OH, PENDULUM, WHERE ART THOU?
    I planted my flag on this one a few years ago; I think the time is not far off that SUVs will succumb to the "minivan syndrome" and they will be viewed as adult/old people cars. When you can afford to have a car all to yourself and not have to share it with half the neighborhood, you will have made it.
    The only hitch I can foresee is the possible ascendancy of "autonomous" encroaching on this argument to some extent, but in the end I believe that most people want their own space.
    Bring on the sedans and coupes!

jm2 likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    But when the change away from SUVs happens how much of the industry will be caught flat footed as they have product lineups of virtually all SUVs and cross overs? As for autonomous, when does that dream find the massive lawsuit from a few deaths?

12. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Looks like the condenser fins that get bent flat like on a house window a/c unit.

jm2 and ModernLou like this.
  13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Now Lexus is into ugly shoes. They claim there is a spindle grill on them (to make them ugly) but I don't see it. Those shoes are ugly enough already without their signature styling cue. :eek:

jm2 likes this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It’s come to this..........

anunakki and energy88 like this.
  15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    After airplanes and boats, it's hard to do another encore!

jm2 likes this.
  16. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  18. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Hi Jeff, - well I think I dealt with the second part in my original post " the possible ascendancy of "autonomous"" I am shall we say somewhat skeptical about this being very wide spread for at least the next 15 years. Too expensive, too complex, and not very interface friendly...
    You first point is an interesting problem to look at from where the big companies are planning to be. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, VW, & the Korean twins all look to be maintaining pass cars in their planning. Ford is arguably the most extreme example of ex-car as it looks to be headed to Mustang & trucks near term. Oddly, I expect this to be pretty profitable for them over the next 12 - 18 months ( I am a recent shareholder) after that I think they're going to face some serious push back. GM seems just a little less convinced, but still going to drop a lot of their models. Interestingly, FCA looks to have a very good road ahead of them with the PSA merger. Pacifica, Ram, & Jeep for nice profit margins here and the potential to crib off some of the PSA car platforms in the future if needed. The big Pug is a very nice car.
    I'll be watching the FCA - PSA merger with great interest.

jm2 likes this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Wait, French car companies have actual design organizations? Could have fooled me, ha-ha.

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Ford 'styling' 1961

Isobel and anunakki like this.
  21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Appropriated from Buick.

Continental AutoSports and jm2 like this.
  22. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    jm2 likes this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There are a multitude of reasons for doing concept cars that stretch the boundaries. It lets the internal design team stretch it's creative muscles. They can be great morale boosters. They can show the public 'what's possible'. Some small portions can be utilized on later production cars. It can demonstrate a new design direction and a different 'design vocabulary'
    Often times the Engineering organization would wring it's collective hands and make it clear that many concept ideas would never see the light of day.........it was a good way to force usually conservative left brained people that creativity was a good thing.

of2worlds, Isobel, Qvb and 1 other person like this.
  24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I have posters/snapshots of old (early '90's) Audi 'concept' cars which clearly show the direction and 'essence' of what became my 2008 Audi R8. So, maybe just more than 95%.....:)

Continental AutoSports and jm2 like this.
  25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john