Official Magnum P.I. thread... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Official Magnum P.I. thread...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RedNeck, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    Larry Manetti was on a couple of weeks ago (Rick in the original series). He did not look well. Hope he is OK.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm really really trying to like this. Hard.

I think I was way too loyal to the original series to enjoy this new version. I'm fighting my own prejudices here.

But just like when I was a kid, I have been in front of the TV for every episode. I never missed a single one then so I'll keep this record going.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have been wishing they would borrow more from the some of the original series' stories. It would really play well with the audience who followed the show so closely back then like I did.

So I just finished episode 3 (which I did enjoy the most so far) and I finally got my wish...

Ivan!

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this here yet. Please no spoilers either, I haven't seen episodes 4 or 5 yet.

4. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I binge-watched the first 5 episodes of Season 2.

Ep1 = meh. Acting has improved, slightly. I can see the actors getting into their characters more vs Season 1, which after 3 episodes, I stopped.

IMO, new TC is solid. Rick for me is hit/miss.

Still cannot get into Magnum. And call me nostalgic, but no way on Higgy Baby. Mr. Hillerman cannot be replaced.

Plus, Juliette is too waify for me. But a very good shot of her on the motorcycle in the opening credits.

I really liked Episode 2 (raid at Robin's Nest). When it ended, I actually found myself saying, "that was pretty good."

And moved onto Episodes 3 to 5, which were ok.

I'll watch the next ones as they're released on On Demand.

Wonderful job with the Hawaii scenery and showing the Ferraris!

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yeah, I didn't care much for that.

I get that they needed a truck, but still. The old show had, what, a GMC something ?

7. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    It felt a little forced, but I blame that I the writers. Was a plausible vehicle for robin masters but they overplayed the commentary a touch. My wife and kid didn’t notice/care.

Not like it’s trail rated. <ducks>

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If they waited a
    Sadly (to me) if they waited a year for that episode, they could have had their Ferrari SUV... :(

9. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

The reboot actually got me to do ON DEMAND for the old series and I've watched all 18 episodes of season one. That classic 308, that was my first love, then came that show set in Dade County but that's another thread. Damn that shows brings me back to my childhood when I watched Simon & Simon and Magnum back to back, I didn't even remember there was an alternate theme song during season one. Thank goodness they trashed this one for the icon one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Talk about bringing back your childhood; I still have dozens and dozens of Magnums (and that other show from Dade County) recorded from the original broadcast.

I can literally sit down and watch an episode from, say, 1984 with the commercials and everything.

I'm glad I saved them like that.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love that jazz-funk fusion! The horn charts are amazing.

JV's89 likes this.
  12. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I tried getting into the reboot, but just can't. I like the original even more now, then when I was a kid.

The iconic theme was first used in the opening credits of episode 12 "Thicker Than Blood"

13. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I enjoy seeing commercials from back then, but they damn sure make me feel old. For some reason the programs themselves don't.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Really?

I thought they only used this one for the first three or four episodes at most. I would have sworn by at least, Skin Deep they were on the 2nd theme.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #190 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    I can actually fact check the hell out of this.

Back in the winter/spring of 81 I actually recorded the shows on cassette tapes and I still have them. One in particular, "Don't Say Goodbye", I played about a billion times listening to the Ferrari chasing after Ted Danson in that big Mercedes on my little cassette player turned all the way up (so many times in fact that I can still quote the last commercial preview for a soap opera just before the show resumed and the chase began, including all the dialog from Magnum's voiceover just after the chase). I think my earliest one is "No Kneed To Know" which I think had a commercial promoting "Stripes" that just opened in theaters.

I'm may dig these out this Xmas break.

16. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Sorry for slightly de-railing the thread....I'm not a big fan of the current show...only watched a few episodes because I wanted to see the Ferrari but Jay Hernandez doesn't really do it for me. Every time I watch an episode I revert back to ON DEMAND and watch a few of the originals. For me the original is so ICONIC it left that big of an impression for me which is probably why I am never going to like the current one.

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    The first time the iconic theme was played was at the end of episode 8 "Ugliest Dog In Hawaii".

18. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    If the original is your yardstick, nothing will measure up. But our whole family loves the reboot, including our 14 yr old girl. I think it’s great. The actors are getting comfortable with their characters, the plots are cool, we just enjoy it for what it is. Pure fun, cool characters, good plots and crazy scenery. I hope it lasts many many seasons.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I've been enjoying the show. Hawaii. Ferraris. Adventure. It's a fun show.

Yes the original was better. But you can say that about a lot of things.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Haven't seen the new show - And I can guarantee I never will!

There's only one Magnum p.i, and he had a big 'tache, ridiculously tight shorts, a hairy chest, and drove a borrowed 308 GTS in most episodes.

I recently finished off watching my Magnum p.i box set (and just about managed to resist wearing Hawaiian shirts every day), and absolutely loved it!

I'm now watching my Miami Vice box set (and trying to resist checking out the price of cream linen jackets and pastel pink T-shirts on ebay! - Hell, even the blatantly fake Daytona Spyder looks cool again! :cool:)

As I say, there's only one Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV, just as there's only one James "Sonny" Crockett (and he ain't no Irishman!)

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Can’t wait til Magnum gets a new F8 Spider.

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I watch Blue Bloods every week with my wife. Selleck would still make a better Magnum.

My wife won’t watch Magnum with me. She thinks the guy is lame.

ChipG likes this.
  23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I agree with you...….. I have the DVD's for both shows.

I was going to watch the new Magnum last night, cause of this thread. But at the last minute decided to stay with my regular viewing schedule. Gomer Pyle and Green Acres.

24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    He won't. Magnum don't have ****. Robin, on the other hand...

25. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    RedNeck, G. Pepper and Raconteur like this.