Road trip! Driving a Mondial 3.2 Coupe to FCA Nationals in Scottsdale, AZ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Road trip! Driving a Mondial 3.2 Coupe to FCA Nationals in Scottsdale, AZ

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Wow! Sorry to hear about the problem with the CV boot. :( I hope that today was issue-free for you.

2cam

Robb likes this.
  2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I woke up Tuesday morning to a beautiful New Mexico sky, and realized that it was a new day. After a quick breakfast, I inspected the torn boot again, and realized that the OUTER boot was also torn. Didn't notice that the day before.

I removed the remains of the temporary split boot and clamps, made sure the joint had plenty of grease (it did, and so did my exhaust manifold, the sump, the hoses, and everything else in the area!), checked all other fluids and tires, filled up with gas, and hit the road. 330 miles to Scottsdale, about 5 hours give or take at highway speeds.

Other than having the hills turn into some real mountains, and seeing the scrub brush turn into saguaro cactus, there's not a whole lot to report on this last leg of the trip. Which is GREAT NEWS! The car performed perfectly, utterly without issue, just as it had since I left my driveway in Houston. No strange noises from the engine area, no vibrations, no nothing. Fluid temps stayed rock solid the entire time. Gas consumption was predictable. AC blew cold, and heat was available when needed. These cars are much tougher than people give them credit for.

When I pulled into the Doubletree Resort in Scottsdale, where the FCA National meet is being held, I was welcomed by a large Ferrari flag held by a nice lady from Maryland. (I didn't take a photo, darn) I had a huge smile on my face, feeling quite relieved that the trip was over and I was finally here. I checked into my room, changed into a swimsuit, walked down to the pool, and just floated for a while, listening to the waterfall and looking up into the bright blue sky of Arizona.

Now it's off to see old friends, make some new ones, judge my class at the Concours, see some great Ferraris, and just enjoy the event. If you're out here, just look for me in the Mondial that has some road grime from a 1200 mile trip.

ATSAaron, MvT, Roward7 and 9 others like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This whole thread just made me smile. Enjoy and keep up the great work!!!

Temple and M. Brandon Motorcars like this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    paulchua, djs308, Dino2400 and 5 others like this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    First, thanks for sharing you road trip experience.

I just adore older/vintage hotels and whenever I’m traveling (“Grand Touring”) in a vintage car I prefer staying in these types of places as they seem to add more to that “old world” experience I look for in vintage road trips.

Sorry to hear/read about your CV boot problems, but I do admire your perseverance and glad to see you made it there.

6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Michael,

How was the rest of your trip? Any issues on the way back home?

Looking forward to additional updates... ;)

2cam

Temple likes this.
  7. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yes, sorry that I did not update.

The FCA National Meet event was great. As usual, the highlight of the Meet for me was the Concours on Thursday. Judging duties kept me busy during most of the day, but I was able to get some time to walk the field, and what a field it was. As opposed to Cavallino, it skewed more towards the modern cars, with plenty of my favorite 70s and 80s Ferraris in attendance.

If you haven't been a a National Meet, you should make plans to go. Next year, it will be in Mont-Tremblant in Canada, outside of Montreal, and I'm sure the scenery as well as the cars will be spectacular.

While I kept driving my Mondial throughout the event, I made the decision to have it shipped home. I'm sure the car would have been just fine, but the possibility of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere in West Texas, combined with a wife and kids who really wanted me home, meant that I flew home and the Mondial went home on a truck.

Thanks for all of the support, and as Ed Gilbertson, the founder of the IAC/PFA judging standards group says, "Ferraris are meant to be driven!". So go drive yours!

Robb, TTR, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Seems like a good trip! they stay in better shape as well. It's a pity that they are almost no cross country events in Europe. It's so much fun to see a scenery that is uncommon to you! Enjoy the comeback of your Mondial runner! They are also great with kids! but you might know that already :)

9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Sorry to hear that it you weren't able to drive it back home. However, it sounds like you had a great time.

Isn't this the 2nd time that you've had a Mondial shipped back home from a Ferrari event? One more time and we may be able to call that a trend. ;)

2cam

10. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Great story - sorry you had to ship the car back. I have done a couple of cross country trips in my Mondial - knock on wood no major issues. Hope we can caravan to Quebec!!

H

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hang in there, you'll get everything sorted. I've put over 25k miles on mine since I got her. They go the distance once issues are resolved (and they can be legion on a 30-40 year old car)

TTR likes this.
  12. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Hi Michael. Just caught up with your post and I am sorry to hear the boot ripped again. I serviced those joints only 3 months ago and can confirm the steel parts were in good condition, at least to my untrained eye. I’d be curious to know why the rubber boots are ripping.

paulchua likes this.
  13. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yeah, we don't know either, yet. Like I had told you, we re-did that left axle before I left, because the boots that you had installed had ripped as well. There's a reason these keep ripping, and it will get figured out.

paulchua likes this.