360/430 Spider Owners: Are you afraid of your top? | FerrariChat

360/430 Spider Owners: Are you afraid of your top?

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, Nov 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you afraid of your 360/430 Spider top?

1. Yes, I always leave it down.

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Yes, I always leave it up.

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Yes, but I don't give into my fear.

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. No. It's worked perfectly forever.

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. No. So what if it breaks?

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had my 360 Spider going on two months now and the one thing that continues to give me pause is the top. I only put it down in my garage. I'm not so afraid of putting it up though.

I've read a numerous threads from Spider owners who've had problems with their tops too.

So the question begs: Are you afraid of your top?

2. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why did you buy a spider? I put the top down every single time I drive my car, and put it back up when I garage it to keep it tidy and keep critters and bugs out.

gperson, ml65, whatheheck and 5 others like this.
  3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    ml65 likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    The worst thing that happens is that the rear plastic window gets a little bit creased and marked up. But who gives a cr-p. No one ever sees the window except me when it’s in my garage

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I’ve had three occasions in 2+ years when the opening/closing suddenly stopped mid-way. I turned the engine off, counted to 30, and restarted. It completed the operation with no problem. I drive it all the time, even to work, and have maybe driven it 3 times without opening it. No, I’m not worried. I’m beginning to think the 360 is almost Porsche bulletproof.
    I know, don’t get cocky.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought a Spider because, to me, an open top defines a sports car. I knew about the temperamental top going in. Just curious how others feel about it.

I'm afraid of my top but I don't give into my fears.

tomconte and ShadowLAP like this.
  7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    kudos to you that operate it frequently. Freshen the fluid occasionally too
    Biggest issue now seeing is the cylinders leaking, old age, MEB are no better, but there are rebuild solutions. Rarely the whole mechanism may need removing.
    Never force it, several threads cover the innuendos and fixes

2NA, TheMayor and Themaven like this.
  8. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Had the car ~ 7 years and driven it with the top up maybe a dozen or so times. I knew about the weaknesses....elastics and cylinders leaking. Recently replaced slave cylinders on each side and elastics. Only repairs and not that costly.... got the cylinders refurbished. Not bad for a 16 year old car.

gsworld2014 likes this.
  9. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    For how little I drive the car with the top up, I'd seriously consider just removing it for the weight savings.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As a 430 Spider (same top) owner for 4 years now with no problems I think one of the problems is that good news is no news...for understandable reasons nobody starts a thread on "My 360/430 roof didn't have an issue today". So all you see about the roof are members asking for help when they have problems.

I understand it's a German made roof. Mine has worked without an issue every time. Like Basscase I very rarely drive with the top up. Maybe twice in 4 years. But I always store it with the top up. There are some good fixes for clouding of the rear plastic though the one thing I dread (apart from a mechanical issue) is a little hole developing in the plastic.

I've owned lots of convertibles for lots of years and the only one that gave me a problem was the metal roof in an SL500. All the old-style roofs have been good to me.

11. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    My 430 is almost always parked with the top up as it's simply better for the top and the window, and keeps the dust and possibly bugs out. Garage is air conditioned so the whole car benefits. Top works flawlessly and I hope regular care and lube will preserve the function.

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They are German made. A previous thread implied it's the same company that makes the roofs for Porsche. I've had mine 7 years with roof down on every drive and always up when garaged. In that time I've only had one issue with a hydraulic ram failure - was fixed at reasonable cost. Would never get a coupe - you'd be missing out on all the fun!

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Afraid? No.

Nearly every time I drive it, it is with the top down. I keep the top up when garaged in the "bubble". I've never yet had an issue with the top in 1.5 years of ownership.

Having a Spider was a must for me, and I had heard of all of the horror stories before I purchased.

If it breaks, I'll simply fix it and continue to enjoy it.

14. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can only think of a couple reasons to have a coupe over a spider. And the only good reason IMHO is protection if you are tracking. If you have a spider, you have a top when you need it, and you also have the open sky and the sounds and sights and the stars and moon, while you are driving a wonderful car. I can't even imagine a fall drive through the colors in a coupe. ;-)

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1
    My wife always knew that I wanted a 360 with a manual (3 pedal) because a friend had one and who later moved on to a 430.
    She preferred the looks of the 360. When I found the car I wanted the first words out of her mouth was 'I hope its a convertible'.
    We both enjoy it with the top down on every drive. Wouldn't have it any other way. I don't track it or take the car to its limits
    because my limits are way less than this car's capabilities.

On a sad note the friggin snow started today. So that's it for this driving season.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The top is supposed to bow out towards the rear of the car when lowering. There are elastic straps that are supposed to help this, but by now, most cars’ straps have lost their stretch. You can avoid problems with creasing and to some extent, scratching, of the clear window by using one hand to push the window out towards the rear as the other presses the switch to lower the top.
    At least some use of the top helps keep the fluid seals from drying out. I always close mine in the garage to keep the top stretched but open it for drives.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Apollo 11 likes this.
  17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Did someone say “track”?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dewinator, My 1st and hessank like this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Very helpful...I will check mine tonight to make sure that its indeed bowing out that way (rear) if not, does anyone know how much it costs to have the straps replaced?

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I always drop my top....I have had no issues but did just do the elastic straps for $600. It wasn't retracting the top and I had to help it a little with force to close. I wouldn't own a coupe...no offense to coupe'ee's but just love hearing my stage 3 Capristo with the top down...Cheers!

cole328 and Need4Spd like this.
  20. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Fear mongering!
    It's all very manageable...
    Top off the fluids; adjust micro switches as needed, replace straps someday, maybe?
    I keep mine up to avoid creases in top and rear window. It's down when I drive 90% of the time.
    Using it keeps it healthy in my opinion. 16 years and 26K mi and it looks great!

John Skevington and Need4Spd like this.
  21. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    Had my 360 Spider a few months now.

The most important thing I’ve found is to keep your hand on the switch all the way through the cycle until the windows go up if you’re closing the roof, and down if your opening.

Have had a few rare Occassion where the roof stops mid cycle. Fix as someone else mentioned is to take key out of ignition, wait 30 seconds, then turn ignition on and begin opening / closing procedure again.

The feeling you get with the roof open is amazing. In a 14 year old car but whenever I see a that horse on the steering wheel and an open blue sky, can’t help thinking “life’s been good”.

Apollo 11, My 1st and Dean Palmer like this.
  22. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I’ve stopped the top many times mid way for maintenance and repairs and never needed to turn off the main power switch.

Recently I’ve had to stop it vertically and get out to reposition a bit of the roof fabric so the roof closes properly. Never a problem... just get back in and continue closing.

Does anyone know of a reason why the top should act up if interrupted whilst opening/closing? I’m assuming it’s just a series of micro-switches.

All this said, I can imagine a problem if the top is left partially open, left for some time and the hydraulic pressure bleeds off...top collapses a bit and touches a micro-switch out of sequence...

23. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Might be a elastic strap issue but who cares...get out and adjust or replace the straps. Mine is ALWAYS up in my shop, covered to protect from the ranch cats, and always down while I drive. Got caught in upcoming rain once with the top down, south on I5 in calif...grabbed a couple of gears, hit about 130 and got out of the rain in 40 seconds or so....love these cars!

Apollo 11 and Need4Spd like this.
  24. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, I guess this poll has reached a conclusion. 21 said they were "afraid" of their top while 18 said they were not. Interesting.

Thank you all who participated.

25. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Yep interesting. But, I think what I'm cognizant of is that FChat is used a great deal by people having 'problems' with their cars...and seeking advice/guidance. I don't recall too many posts saying.."guess what, no CEL's today"...." guess what..my top opened perfectly for the n'th time". Negativity on any topic may sway the opinion of current/future owners.

I'm with the 18...if it breaks just fix it. What else can you reasonably do. It may be a cheap/expensive fix, but there's no real alternative.

Apollo 11 and cpep like this.