TR engine knock | Page 8 | FerrariChat

TR engine knock

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tamburini44, Jun 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Sure, I'll let you know if I don't need it.

2. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Can anyone give me a rough idea of the hours involved in this?

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If its anything like flushing a porsche 930 motor, it requires complete disassembly down to the crank... its basically a rebuild with no new parts...

Brain Crall, who posted the answer, is a top pro Ferrari mechanic, google his name, he's in Texas I believe. Might be worth crating your motor over there...

4. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    I talked to Brian, great guy. If it gets to that, I'll import the whole car and be done with it.

Regarding the hours, these guys had about 120h for the entire rebuild and 85h for the repair/cleaning,
    but they also have installing valves, guides in there - I think they misunderstood I'm giving them a ready to bolt head,
    will clarify this tomorrow.

As it stands, the estimate for swapping engines is about $6-7000 more than
    repairing the original (rebuilt head, cam, take it all apart, cleaning etc).

I wouldn't sell the original irrespective but the difference is less than expected,
    and it might make an interesting learning project.

5. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019
    Wouldn't it make sense to do a leakdown to check the piston rings before a teardown?

For the bank with the head removed, this link mentions a tool by Assenmacher but the pics are dead and it's apparently discontinued.
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219004

Any alternatives?

6. tamburini44

tamburini44 Karting

Jun 6, 2019